Why aren't battery power vehicles cheaper?

Page 3 of 23<123456>Last »
April 23rd, 2021 at 5:28:34 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: JCW09
Which of these EV vehicles using carbon based electricity for charging will Ed be able to use to pull his 5th Wheel?

As I understand it there are numerous problems with towing and EVs, both with the physical need to make frequent stops and disconnect your 5th wheel and with how many pounds you can tow.

As you see Toyota has only one vehicle that can tow up to 10,000 pounds, the Toyota Tundra (5.7 liter engine). Right now they only have hybrids with engines up to 2.5 liters.
April 23rd, 2021 at 6:15:02 PM permalink
JCW09
Threads: 12
Quote: Gandler
You guys keep intentionally fixating on this point.

Zero emissions refers to emissions from the vehicle. Its about clean air in urban areas. Its about breathing air that is not pumped full of carbon monoxide.

Gandler, you need to woke up!
It's about saving the planet & worldwide CO2 and CO emissions.
Logical people think it's hilarious that the majority of Zero Emissions by X Date Advocates
Fail to recognize that when you charge your EV with energy produced by fossil fuels
You aren't doing as much as you think to "save the planet from climate change"

I respect those that get an EV and put Solar on their home and get to net zero electricity from the grid
They charge their cars during the day or from the battery pack on the garage wall at night.
Everyone else is just sending out a virtual signal
They simply don't have the $30-$40K it takes to make their carbon footprint for home power and transportation go to near zero.
But how exactly is the average American supposed to accomplish the same?
The push for EV's is fine, just don't call them zero emission vehicles until the energy charging the batteries is 100% renewables.

The only realistic answer to getting off carbon based fossil fuels available today is Nuclear Power
None of the Green New Deal/Greta Thornbushes of the world are interested in that honest discussion.
Bill Gates is working on some interesting Nuclear Technology that claims to be safer and uses spent fuel rods as fuel.
I hope he has a break through and can't wait until he tries to sell the idea of New Nuclear Technology to the Left Side of the Aisle.

So those with a brain laugh at the outrage over fossil fuel consumption and labels like Zero Emission Vehicles.
We can all scream about problems, those with a brain figure out realistic solutions to solve them
AOC & her clown team are about the stupidest people on the planet, so we laugh because it is the natural response to stupidity.
Def. of Liar - "A Person Who Tells Lies" / "I lied. Deal with it" - ams288
April 23rd, 2021 at 6:51:58 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: AZDuffman
Yes, we keep fixating on it. Because the very next sentence you make our point.

Apparently your point is inhaling carbon monoxide is unsafe? I agree.

Gandler, you need to woke up!
It's about saving the planet & worldwide CO2 and CO emissions.
Logical people think it's hilarious that the majority of Zero Emissions by X Date Advocates
Fail to recognize that when you charge your EV with energy produced by fossil fuels
You aren't doing as much as you think to "save the planet from climate change"

I respect those that get an EV and put Solar on their home and get to net zero electricity from the grid
They charge their cars during the day or from the battery pack on the garage wall at night.
Everyone else is just sending out a virtual signal
They simply don't have the $30-$40K it takes to make their carbon footprint for home power and transportation go to near zero.
But how exactly is the average American supposed to accomplish the same?
The push for EV's is fine, just don't call them zero emission vehicles until the energy charging the batteries is 100% renewables.

The only realistic answer to getting off carbon based fossil fuels available today is Nuclear Power
None of the Green New Deal/Greta Thornbushes of the world are interested in that honest discussion.
Bill Gates is working on some interesting Nuclear Technology that claims to be safer and uses spent fuel rods as fuel.
I hope he has a break through and can't wait until he tries to sell the idea of New Nuclear Technology to the Left Side of the Aisle.

So those with a brain laugh at the outrage over fossil fuel consumption and labels like Zero Emission Vehicles.
We can all scream about problems, those with a brain figure out realistic solutions to solve them
AOC & her clown team are about the stupidest people on the planet, so we laugh because it is the natural response to stupidity.

Again, its about clean air. Since I have started driving NJ has been strict about vehicle idling because of the inhalation risk (I think, this could be wrong, its a fine for every minute of idling over five minutes, I know some people that whine about it in the winter because they get tickets when they sit their car in the street to heat up or whatever). But, its about preserving local air quality. Everyone knows this, idling laws do not exist because of global warming, its about direct exposure.

Here is from the NJ idling investigation department:

"What is idling?
Idling occurs when a motor vehicle with a diesel or gasoline engine is running but the vehicle
is not in motion. Excessive idling causes an unnecessary release of air contaminants into the
air in New Jersey, including fine particulates and air toxics. Every year, hundreds of New
Jerseyans die prematurely from exposure to diesel exhaust. Fine particle pollution may actually
cause more deaths in NJ than homicides and car accidents combined. New Jersey has laws
which prohibit the idling of a vehicle for more than 3 minutes, with certain exceptions as
explained below. "

https://www.state.nj.us/dep/enforcement/idling_fact_sheet_1.pdf

Apparently its even worse than I thought, more people are killed by idling exhaust (and that is just counting diesel exhaust), than murders and car accidents combined. This is why it is a critical issue. Its about air quality and not living in a cloud of death.
April 23rd, 2021 at 7:10:25 PM permalink
JCW09
How about moving out of the $hit hole that is NJ
#1 in Covid Deaths Per Capita
And if that doesn't kill you, Gandler thinks idling cars are next.
You can't make this $hit up
April 23rd, 2021 at 7:23:32 PM permalink
Gandler
How about moving out of the $hit hole that is NJ
#1 in Covid Deaths Per Capita
And if that doesn't kill you, Gandler thinks idling cars are next.
You can't make this $hit up

Yes Gandler believes in science and that inhaling Carbon Monoxide should be limited where possible. How crazy....
April 23rd, 2021 at 8:00:48 PM permalink
JCW09
Must suck to live in a $shithole state and be unable to afford to move.
Don't worry, your misery won't last too long.
The "Garden State" is sure to shorten your life expectancy
April 23rd, 2021 at 8:33:52 PM permalink
Gandler
Must suck to live in a $shithole state and be unable to afford to move.
Don't worry, your misery won't last too long.
The "Garden State" is sure to shorten your life expectancy

I am flagging your post, I am not bothered by the personal insult, but blatant death wishing (along with a lazy way to skirt the profanity filter) is going too far.
April 24th, 2021 at 1:14:35 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Why does an EV car count as a zero emission vehicle in CA when 60%+ of the electrical grid in CA get its electricity from fossil fuels?

Quote: SOOPOO
The reason that electric only vehicles have not taken over yet fully is the complexity of getting a quick charge. It takes 5 minutes or so to fill up at a gas station, and most of the time there is a gas station on your path to your destination. Once electric cars are predominant, will there still be as many and as convenient gas stations? I think I’m my suburban existence now there are easily 20+ gas stations in a 5 mile radius of my house. And I think one electric charging station that I know of.

As OP I should say that the first comment is not on topic, while the second is on topic. Please start a different thread if you want to discuss fossil fuel climate change. I realize that I veer slightly off-topic myself.

The biggest engine in a Toyota vehicle is 5.7 L V8 which is used in the following four vehicles
$34,025 Toyota TUNDRA
$50,400 Toyota SEQUOIA
$85,665 Toyota LAND CRUISER
$86,830 Lexus LX
Obviously the only vehicle purchased in large numbers is the TUNDRA whose specs are below.

2021 Toyota Tundra/Pickup truck MSRP: From $34,025
Curb weight 5,170 to 5,680 lbs
Towing capacity: 8,800 to 10,200 lbs
MPG: 13 city / 17 highway
Horsepower: 381 hp Engine: 5.7 L V8
Fuel tank capacity: 26.4 to 38 gal

Many people feel that I vehicle like the Tundra can only exist as a pure gasoline powered internal combustion engine. Toyota's biggest hybrid engine is a 4 cylinder 2.5 L. Towing 4-5 tons for a reasonable distance is not practical with a zero emission vehicle.
April 24th, 2021 at 2:27:14 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler

Again, its about clean air. Since I have started driving NJ has been strict about vehicle idling because of the inhalation risk (I think, this could be wrong, its a fine for every minute of idling over five minutes, I know some people that whine about it in the winter because they get tickets when they sit their car in the street to heat up or whatever). But, its about preserving local air quality. Everyone knows this, idling laws do not exist because of global warming, its about direct exposure.

So now you think you are going to die if you are near an idling vehicle? How did I manage to get out of the 70s alive?

The air these days is very clean. A car idling today gives off less emissions than a car in the 60s did sitting with the engine off. You are getting all worked up over nothing.
The President is a fink.
April 24th, 2021 at 8:30:57 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
My dreams are coming true. An all electric Harley Davidson. I can't wait until they are all electric because I really despise loud motorcycles. When all motorcycles are silent I will be at peace.

At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
Page 3 of 23<123456>Last »