The Smoking Thread

April 29th, 2021 at 3:09:46 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: rxwine
Can you add menthol after you buy the plain product?

You can always buy menthol flavored rolling tobacco. I honestly don't know if cigarette rolling tobacco is included in the ban.

If not, you can buy menthol pipe tobacco (which can also be used to roll into cigarettes, but it is a bit more complicated). (Pipe tobacco is not included in the ban so this will be an option either way, leaving pipe tobacco the last flavored smoking tobacco around).
April 29th, 2021 at 5:01:03 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I have lost count the number of people I know who directly or indirectly died from cigarette smoking. Most of them were not lung cancer victims. Cigarette smoking also weakens the hell out of your heart muscle, it causes you to have a very weak heart in your 50s. I love it when people who think they are oh so smart also smoke cigarettes. Which is just about the stupidest thing you can do. When really smart people do really stupid things, how smart are they really.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 29th, 2021 at 5:12:14 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Which is worse: smoking a pack a day or being a heavy drinker?
April 29th, 2021 at 5:34:47 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: missedhervee

I think it would depend on your definition of "heavy drinker".

But, I would have to say heavy drinker, because every night of heavy drinking opens the opportunity for virtually instant death (as opposed to a slower death by smoking) from the risks of overdoses and organ failure alone (without even getting into external risks such as poor decision, fights, drunk driving, etc.....)

So if you are a "heavy drink" (in the sense of getting dangerously intoxicated every day of the week) I would imagine the rates would be higher than being an average smoker (1 pack a day). And, yes I know overall smoking direct and indirectly (second hand smoke) kills more people than direct alcohol deaths. But, I am speaking in the terms of probability of dying every night of the week versus long term diseases.

Though I would agree that smoking 1 pack a day, and being a heavy drinker are both bad choices for anyone who is health conscious.

I think the medical consensus is 1 cigar a day and 1-3 drinks a day (depending on age and health) has no serious negative effects on your health versus somebody who uses zero tobacco and zero alcohol as far as overall life expectancy. Once you get into territory of using more alcohol and more tobacco it becomes more convoluted.
April 29th, 2021 at 6:00:03 PM permalink
Evenbob

Are you both, MisterV?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 29th, 2021 at 6:05:39 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Gandler

So if you are a "heavy drink" (in the sense of getting dangerously intoxicated every day of the week).

I have drank every evening for the last 45 years. I get intoxicated, in other words I can feel the effects of the alcohol. If you didn't feel the effects, what would be the point. I can't remember the last time I got drunk it's been at least 30 years and it was an accident. Am I going to die young? I am 72, is it too late to die young? What does dangerously intoxicated mean.
April 29th, 2021 at 6:34:49 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: Evenbob
I have drank every evening for the last 45 years. I get intoxicated, in other words I can feel the effects of the alcohol. If you didn't feel the effects, what would be the point. I can't remember the last time I got drunk it's been at least 30 years and it was an accident. Am I going to die young? I am 72, is it too late to die young? What does dangerously intoxicated mean.

That is not a heavy drinker. It sounds like you are not getting smashed every night of the week, just having a couple drinks. 2-3 drinks a night is regarded to be reasonably safe, which it sounds like is your range.

Dangerously intoxicated is well past the legal driving limit, and approaching or passing the overdose danger levels.

https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/brochures-and-fact-sheets/understanding-dangers-of-alcohol-overdose
April 29th, 2021 at 7:52:00 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: Evenbob
Are you both, MisterV?

I quit drinking and smoking tobacco about 25 or so years ago.
April 29th, 2021 at 10:31:39 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Besides cancer, emphysema can be a rather unpleasant consequence of smoking.

Quote:
the amount of air a person can breathe in and out — naturally declines with age. But smoking accelerates this process.

“Your airway walls become weaker and collapse when you exhale, trapping air inside the lungs. When you take your next breath, you stack the new air on top of the trapped air. The simple act of breathing thus becomes difficult and uncomfortable,

Those are the people on oxygen tanks.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 30th, 2021 at 4:40:48 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I quit drinking and smoking tobacco about 25 or so years ago.

Was it 25 or 3 that feels like 25?
The President is a fink.