The Smoking Thread

April 30th, 2021 at 12:41:35 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
For those of you who like tobacco, do you think you really like tobacco, or is it that alien creature stuck to the back of your head?

(this is a common sci-fi theme. There's some sort of infiltration of the human brain and suddenly people are big fans of whatever the thing is that is influencing them and in some stories may not realize it.)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 30th, 2021 at 12:58:10 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: rxwine
For those of you who like tobacco, do you think you really like tobacco, or is it that alien creature stuck to the back of your head?

(this is a common sci-fi theme. There's some sort of infiltration of the human brain and suddenly people are big fans of whatever the thing is that is influencing them and in some stories may not realize it.)
for those thinking they would smoke even if the product had all the nicotine taken out, I predict the common reaction on trying it would be to decide that the cigarettes mysteriously had "no taste".

A mystery alright. An alien creature you are unaware of, exactly.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
April 30th, 2021 at 1:24:17 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: odiousgambit
for those thinking they would smoke even if the product had all the nicotine taken out, I predict the common reaction on trying it would be to decide that the cigarettes mysteriously had "no taste".

A mystery alright. An alien creature you are unaware of, exactly.

LOL.

In actually, I was just thinking the whole menthol thing towards black communities might have been something to make it seem special. Like when they marketed Virginia Slims to women.

Here's an interesting article.

Quote:
In April of 1994, a master list of 599 additives used in the production of American cigarettes was made public, with five major tobacco companies reporting.

https://www.verywellmind.com/cigarette-additives-2824737

I don't pretend to know the veracity of the information presented in the article.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 30th, 2021 at 2:00:46 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Excess caffeine intake can cause sleeplessness, anxiety, tremors, irregular heartbeat, headaches and migraine. Prolonged overuse of excess caffeine can even result in high blood pressure.

I'm not saying that we should ban caffeine, but it must be more tightly regulated.

In order to do this, we must go after those products who are targeting a disproportionate number of their users in a predatory way.

STARBUCKS engages in predatory advertising and selling of caffeinated products disproportionately to certain communities. Specifically, Starbucks has shown a tendency to frequently target white suburban women.

These white suburban women who frequent Starbucks, sometimes called, "Basic B****es," have shown a disproportionate preference for Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Frappuccinos, particularly during the Fall months.

The flavor profile of the Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Frappuccino and dilution of the coffee in same makes it, "More drinkable," to some, than straight up black coffee. Starbucks also disproportionately prices its larger sizes, such as Venti, in order to encourage the consumption of more caffeine than necessary. Let us look at the price and caffeine content of these beverages:

Tall: 12 oz. 70 mg $4.25 (35.42 cents/ounce)
Grande: 16 oz 100 mg $4.95 (30.94 cents/ounce)
Venti: 20 oz 125 mg $5.25 (26.25 cents/ounce)

In comparison, the average cup of 8oz black coffee consists of 95mg of caffeine.

As we can see, Starbucks targets the harmful caffeine product---and excessive amounts of it---in a predatory way to these Basic White B****es. They not only make the product more drinkable, as black coffee is often considered harsh and bitter, but offer products that have more caffeine than does a cup of regular black coffee.

More than that, Starbucks uses a predatory pricing model to compel their consumers to drink more of the caffeine product by creating the perception of, "Value," with the 20oz product having not even 75% of the per ounce cost of the 12 oz. product. We also notice that the cost per ounce added, between the two, is only 12.5 cents comparing the 12oz. product to the 20oz. product.

It is therefore clear that Starbucks is trying to compel its customers to engage in behavior that will get them, not only addicted to caffeine, but to require more caffeine than they otherwise might.

There is only one answer to this public health crisis: Pumpkin Spice must be banned. As must all other coffee flavors and additives, such as creamer.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
April 30th, 2021 at 2:03:19 PM permalink
rxwine
Heh, Mission, I'd rather go after the "Sugar Industrial Complex".
April 30th, 2021 at 2:06:03 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Heh, Mission, I'd rather go after the "Sugar Industrial Complex".

They're next!
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
April 30th, 2021 at 3:02:45 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

What I want to know is should we sue the Indians for introducing tobacco?
The President is a fink.
April 30th, 2021 at 3:12:35 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27

For me its 100% the nicotine. That is why I can be happy wearing nicotine patches. I just love the boost that nicotine gives you. I can take or leave any form of nicotine (tobacco or no tobacco).

That is not to say that I do not enjoy certain tobacco products in certain contexts. But, even a good tasting cigar, if there was no nicotine, what is the point? It would be like drinking a Redbull or a coffee with no caffeine in it (the flavor is really not good in either drink, and you only drink it for the caffeine, not the taste).
April 30th, 2021 at 4:45:06 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: AZDuffman
What I want to know is should we sue the Indians for introducing tobacco?

I don't know what claims Indians made about tobacco. But tobacco companies mistake was pretending for so many years that it wasn't that harmful and promoting it that way even when their own research was contrary to that view. Even then, they have come out pretty well financially.

Whereas, in contrast, If you advertise dynamite with the proper risks, no one should be able to sue you (successfully anyway)

A lot of companies think they will go broke if they tell the truth. But I'm not so sure. You could tell skateboarders all day and all night they make break bones, fracture their skull, and it won't slow them down much from getting on a board.
April 30th, 2021 at 5:40:20 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
I worked as a tax assessor in the piedmont area of North Carolina.

It was very common for folks to grow tobacco.

Lots of tobacco barns for them to cure it.

The tobacco companies are still making money: not in the USA but in other countries.

How do you say "Marlboro Man" in Tagalog?