Does Fate Exist

June 11th, 2013 at 3:44:10 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
"When I picture all the places I could have grown up in, all the people I could have met, and all the career paths I could have been driven towards, I see the interplay of fate and free will at work. There were many different lives within the fate I was dealt: an American born into the suburbs who loves childhood and words and entrepreneurship. I could have been a psychologist, a painter, an actor, maybe even a religious teacher; but instead I became who I am." http://evanbailyn.net/thoughts-on-life/does-fate-exist/

In the past I would have said no to fate. But as I get
older I'm not so sure. They say you can change
your life entirely at any time, just do it. Quit your
job, leave your family, move to India and be a
homeless person that follows a guru around.

But who can really do that. I feel fate tugging at
me all the time now, the more you give into the
nature of your fate, the more you're aware of it.
Joseph Campbell said something like, "The fates
will guide us if we allow them, and they will drag
us if we do not." I think I agree with this.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 11th, 2013 at 4:01:56 PM permalink
AcesAndEights
Threads: 6
*blink* *blink*

Did Bob get hacked?

Seriously though, interesting question.
"You think I'm joking." -EvenBob
June 11th, 2013 at 4:26:05 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
Most likely it does and we're all part of a giant chain reaction of dominoes falling. Think about all the forces of the Universe at work. It's never random, it just appears that way because we can't comprehend it. Water goes downhill because it has to.

Try watching Stranger Than Fiction with Will Ferrell, it's great.
June 11th, 2013 at 5:31:14 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Fate? We are free to leave the wife, find a nineteen year old girl to go off to France with ... and if we have courage and luck maybe we will do it. The trouble is that nineteen year old studying cooking and acting and living with a rich old man is likely to get tired of the routine after awhile. We will say the Sweet Young Thing was fated to leave us and not ascribe to her any courage or luck. Then we start to bemoan our fate at the local pub. Heck, its enough to make us want to just leave well enough alone and go home to the wife each night.