License plate collecting with the Wizard

March 24th, 2015 at 1:03:29 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Face
Perhaps they should. But cars in America are more than transportation, and the gov discovered that our propensity to make ourselves unique and special results in more money for them. I am aware that some conservation efforts offer plates here in NY, and some of the fee goes to NYSDEC. If you're into anything from fishing to duck hunting, you can show your support by way of a custom plate. BUT, since we get that, the PETA types deserve the same opportunity.

NYSDEC can probably use the cash. Though this was many years ago, when we invited them to the NYSPCA meeting to put the best face on regulations they were issuing the agent could barely get the gas money to get from Albany to the Catskills.
The President is a fink.
March 24th, 2015 at 2:33:42 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Careful. I find most religion based bumper stickers obscene, while your "FUCK IT" plate doesn't cause me to bat an eye. "Obscene" is subjective, and you'll be handing the decision off to someone who may have different views than you.

I'm not sure how "obscene" would be defined, but as a rough guide, anything that could be shown on network television is probably not obscene. Off hand, I can't think of a single large organization I would consider to have an obscene name, so I think it is moot anyway.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 24th, 2015 at 2:43:40 PM permalink
jml24
Threads: 0
Quote: Wizard
Lots of states have "choose life" plates, but I think they say it refers to adoption. Whatever it means, I have no problem with it. As long as the organization name or logo isn't obscene, all should be treated equally.

I agree. One of the arguments against the SCV plates is that maybe the Nazis will come forward with swastika plates. I say bring it on. If you are dumb enough to drive around with Nazi plates on your car you deserve the vandalism that will almost certainly follow.
March 24th, 2015 at 2:56:04 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: jml24
I agree. One of the arguments against the SCV plates is that maybe the Nazis will come forward with swastika plates. I say bring it on. If you are dumb enough to drive around with Nazi plates on your car you deserve the vandalism that will almost certainly follow.

I agree. If there are enough Nazi's to prepay for a Nazi plate, then in the interests of free speech, then let them. As you wrote, I don't think that even they would be stupid enough to drive around with them.

People now have the right to put a Nazi bumper sticker on their car, but how many do you actually see?
March 24th, 2015 at 3:06:47 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I agree. If there are enough Nazi's to prepay for a Nazi plate, then in the interests of free speech, then let them. As you wrote, I don't think that even they would be stupid enough to drive around with them.

People now have the right to put a Nazi bumper sticker on their car, but how many do you actually see?

The hipsters would eat them up, then revel in the opportunity to debate how it's really a symbol of luck and auspiciousness, and would become aroused within their own perception of moral and intellectual superiority as a result =p
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 24th, 2015 at 3:45:41 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
The hipsters would eat them up, then revel in the opportunity to debate how it's really a symbol of luck and auspiciousness, and would become aroused within their own perception of moral and intellectual superiority as a result =p

Remind me not to play Scrabble with you.
March 24th, 2015 at 4:01:06 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Remind me not to play Scrabble with you.

You'd win. I'm not a good gamer and can never suss out proper strategy to maximize the bonuses. I might could play "beleaguered" and even use it in a sentence, but your gaming mind would play "taco" and still wind up with thrice the points =p
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 24th, 2015 at 4:19:29 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
You'd win. I'm not a good gamer and can never suss out proper strategy to maximize the bonuses. I might could play "beleaguered" and even use it in a sentence, but your gaming mind would play "taco" and still wind up with thrice the points =p

Very very funny you mention that. The last game of Scrabble I played with my daughter, who is quite good, argued with me when I played "taco" because she said it wasn't an English word. I argued that while it may not have originated in English, it has become so anglified that it is used in everyday English and thus can be considered a part of the language. If you go back far enough, every English word should have some foreign origin (calling Paco), usually Greek and/or Latin.

We agreed to use the dictionary to settle the dispute, which went my way.
April 5th, 2015 at 11:17:56 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
License plate from North Korea. As you might imagine, these are very difficult to get out of the country.

Click on image for larger version.
April 5th, 2015 at 1:26:20 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
License plate from North Korea. As you might imagine, these are very difficult to get out of the country.

Click on image for larger version.

Do know any details of the N Korean ownership? That would be an interesting addition.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?