License plate collecting with the Wizard

Page 34 of 36« First<313233343536>
May 9th, 2017 at 11:28:31 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Member since: Oct 23, 2012
Threads: 132
Posts: 2950
Quote: Ayecarumba
Well, at least two others liked it... alot. I'm curious about the seller, "wizard_of_az". I would think you wizards would stick together...


I noticed that too. Our own AZduffman has been selling some license plates on Ebay, coincidentally. Unfortunately, he wasn't behind that one.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 9th, 2017 at 4:10:42 PM permalink
Evenbob
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 106
Posts: 10696
Quote: Wizard
Here is a license plate that went way over what I expected: \


Like all collectors does your family hate
what you do and think you're out of
you mind? Never met a guy who was
keen on collecting anything, guns, radios,
knives, badges, cameras, whatever, that
his wife didn't hate all of it. When they
die, the wife can't wait to get rid of it
all.

BTW, badge collecting is super cool. I
bought a 400 badge collection and
pieced it out on Ebay. Badges are
all different and small and easy to
display and ship. They can also be
worth a ton of money. I loved the
things when I had them. I paid $8K
for them and got $16K, I was happy.
And I didn't even get the best ones.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 9th, 2017 at 4:24:31 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 98
Posts: 6187
Quote: Evenbob
Like all collectors does your family hate
what you do and think you're out of
you mind? Never met a guy who was
keen on collecting anything, guns, radios,
knives, badges, cameras, whatever, that
his wife didn't hate all of it. When they
die, the wife can't wait to get rid of it
all.


Women I swear can't stand to see a guy enjoying himself without them. Collecting does this. I used to collect various things but am mostly done with it. Trying to live smaller and more minimalist.
The man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it
May 9th, 2017 at 6:29:30 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Member since: Oct 23, 2012
Threads: 132
Posts: 2950
Quote: Evenbob
Like all collectors does your family hate
what you do and think you're out of
you mind? Never met a guy who was
keen on collecting anything, guns, radios,
knives, badges, cameras, whatever, that
his wife didn't hate all of it. When they
die, the wife can't wait to get rid of it
all.


She hates things in proportion to how much I like them. License plates are just a sideline of mine so it isn't the big enemy. She doesn't like my fitness kick. If I'm out on an all-day hike or bike ride I guarantee you she will not be happy that I was happy for several hours doing something without her. Don't even get me started on how many months I have to serve in the dog house after something big like my five-day Mount Rainier trip.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 9th, 2017 at 6:37:48 PM permalink
Evenbob
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 106
Posts: 10696
Quote: Wizard
She hates things in proportion to how much I like them. .


It's a fact of life, if I have a good experience,
or really enjoy something, my wife is the
last person I would share it with. They take
it personally. They're so insecure that any
good time you have without them depletes
them somehow. I'm the opposite. If she
has a good time, great, it means she can
entertain herself without me. It's a win/win.
She's happy and I didn't have to be there.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 9th, 2017 at 6:50:46 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 98
Posts: 6187
Quote: Evenbob
It's a fact of life, if I have a good experience,
or really enjoy something, my wife is the
last person I would share it with. They take
it personally. They're so insecure that any
good time you have without them depletes
them somehow. I'm the opposite. If she
has a good time, great, it means she can
entertain herself without me. It's a win/win.
She's happy and I didn't have to be there.


Women have a greater genetic desire to be needed. Why did women take to nursing so well starting in the 1800s? Why do they want children in greater numbers than men? Who keeps more pets?

I am so happy I remained single.
The man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it
May 9th, 2017 at 6:54:53 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 80
Posts: 1291
I think it cuts both ways though. There are many things Mrs. Carumba enjoys that, if given a choice, I would not pick if the other option was getting poked by a monkey with a sharp stick. However, I choose to focus on the joy she gets from doing something she finds fun rather than brooding over how much trouble it is for me. Putting on big boy pants means you can be a giver as much as you are a taker. She's worth it.
May 9th, 2017 at 7:04:02 PM permalink
Evenbob
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 106
Posts: 10696
Quote: Ayecarumba
I you can be a giver as much as you are a taker. .


But can she, that's the point. Not from my
experience and the experience of millions
of other married men. I lost my best friend
when he got married because she sold
his golf clubs and forbade him to have
any male friends. Not untypical in the
slightest, and it always gets worse.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 9th, 2017 at 9:35:32 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Member since: Oct 23, 2012
Threads: 132
Posts: 2950
Quote: Evenbob
I lost my best friend
when he got married because she sold
his golf clubs and forbade him to have
any male friends.


I hope he chose the alternative and made female friends -- preferably ripe for bearing children.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 31st, 2017 at 6:19:50 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Member since: Oct 23, 2012
Threads: 132
Posts: 2950
I've mentioned before that in the early days of license plates the state didn't make them for you but told you your number and you had to make it yourself. Often automobile clubs offered that service. Today these "make it yourself" license plates are known as "pre-states." California and Nevada plates are my main emphasis. I have a few California prestates but I've always wanted one in the style of these two:

Auction 232349026890
Auction 263012118541

These very rarely come up on Ebay so it's very strange that two should come up, from different places, at the same time.

Both of these have already exceeded what I would bid on them.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
Page 34 of 36« First<313233343536>