License plate collecting with the Wizard

May 31st, 2017 at 6:52:12 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
These very rarely come up on Ebay so it's very strange that two should come up, from different places, at the same time.

These would be easy to fake, I wonder
how many of them are.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 31st, 2017 at 8:51:37 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob
These would be easy to fake, I wonder
how many of them are.

This is a big problem in the club. Not such much for the Auto Club type like I just linked to but the kind where you attached house numbers to a piece of leather or screen. They are by definition homemade.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
June 1st, 2017 at 12:34:13 AM permalink
Evenbob
This is a big problem in the club. .Not such much for the Auto Club type

Because these have painted graphics and not embossed,
all you need is an old porcelain sign and you could cut
it out and make your own plate. It would be worth the
effort for what they go for.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 2nd, 2017 at 3:10:11 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
In case anyone is interested, here is a typical prestate. The hardware stores probably sold the base and you attached house numbers to it.
June 2nd, 2017 at 3:23:53 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
In case anyone is interested, here is a typical prestate. The hardware stores probably sold the base and you attached house numbers to it.

I can't see the reason for the high bid there, looks really easy to fake and not very attractive IMHO.

Does remind me I have to sell off my last purple PA antique plate.
The President is a fink.
June 2nd, 2017 at 9:09:25 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: AZDuffman
I can't see the reason for the high bid there, looks really easy to fake and not very attractive IMHO.

Me neither. Not for the fake factor but because it is ugly and other collectors don't like them either. My few California pre-states are like that one. Somehow, when the government puts out something it becomes much more collectible.
June 2nd, 2017 at 10:47:27 PM permalink
Evenbob

When I was a kid in the 50's, in my neighborhood
almost everybody had an attached single stall
garage. They would get new plates every year
and hang the old ones on the wall. Most guys
did it. I imagine it was that way all over the
country. Old guys had plates going back to
the teens. That's why there are so many now,
because of those cheapskates who paid for
them and damned if they were going to
throw good steel away. They made great
scrap for when you needed to cut out
a specific piece for an old car repair on an
exhaust or a even the body. My dad made a
bird house out of some of them.
June 5th, 2017 at 3:32:00 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
I've mentioned before that in the early days of license plates the state didn't make them for you but told you your number and you had to make it yourself. Often automobile clubs offered that service. Today these "make it yourself" license plates are known as "pre-states." California and Nevada plates are my main emphasis. I have a few California prestates but I've always wanted one in the style of these two:

Auction 232349026890
Auction 263012118541

These very rarely come up on Ebay so it's very strange that two should come up, from different places, at the same time.

Both of these have already exceeded what I would bid on them.

Given that it appears multiple people have demonstrated a willingness to pay four figures, what would have been your max bid?
June 5th, 2017 at 4:24:58 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Ayecarumba
Given that it appears multiple people have demonstrated a willingness to pay four figures, what would have been your max bid?

Wow, Auction 232349026890 went for $4,777.87. Not many license plates of any kind get that high.

Before that auction I would have bid up to about $1,000 but it was already over that. Given the high demand as evidenced with that auction, I'd definitely pay more if I see another won. Perhaps around $3,000, which wouldn't be high enough. There is always a risk of counterfeits too.

BTW, the annual license plate collectors show is June 27-30 in Ontario, Cal. I'm planning to attend.
June 5th, 2017 at 8:10:17 PM permalink
Evenbob

BTW, the annual license plate collectors show is June 27-30 in Ontario, Cal. I'm planning to attend.

Will there be more nerds there than at an
undertaker or an actuary convention? Or
collectors of knicker knobs or Victorian
door hardware? My guess is yes. Nerds
are collectors.

Nerd: a single-minded expert in a particular technical field.