License plate collecting with the Wizard

June 28th, 2018 at 10:06:11 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: AZDuffman
Quote: Wizard
Here is a very unique and rare license plate currently on Ebay: RARE Soviet Military Mission USAREUR License Plate #8 with Related Documentation. I've seen a similar one with a U.S. flag, I believe a very limited run of the U.S. consulate in West Berlin.

This would truly be a license plate with a story to tell and would be a proud part of my collection. I'm considering throwing in a bid of around $1,000 but I think it will close much higher. Some collectors love unusual rare plates like this with a high eye candy factor.

What is with the "USAREUR?" Seems a weird thing, was Europe one mission?

U.S. Army Europe is the operational-level Army force assigned to U.S. European Command.

My ex was in Germany for 6 yrs or so working
with this affiliation. Not sure if he was assigned or alongside. It's been there since 1914 according to their website. Command structure at least partly considering whichever ally they're working with. That's about all I know.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
June 28th, 2018 at 11:05:07 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
What is with the "USAREUR?" Seems a weird thing, was Europe one mission?

I don't know what it stands for either. My understanding, and perhaps incorrect, is the USA was allowed x number of consulate members in East Germany and the USSR the same number in the West. There was a hotel for foreigners in East Berlin, which still stands, that was widely considered to have been infested with listening bugs.

Hopefully Paco will come along and correct all my misstatements.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
June 28th, 2018 at 11:12:19 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I don't know what it stands for either. My understanding, and perhaps incorrect, is the USA was allowed x number of consulate members in East Germany and the USSR the same number in the West. There was a hotel for foreigners in East Berlin, which still stands, that was widely considered to have been infested with listening bugs.

Hopefully Paco will come along and correct all my misstatements.

That is my concern. I would think it would say “FRG” not “EUR” if it was per-1992.
The President is a fink.
June 28th, 2018 at 11:33:27 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
double
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 28th, 2018 at 11:34:53 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
That is my concern. I would think it would say “FRG” not “EUR” if it was per-1992.

The name for West Germany was Bundesrepublik Deutschland, which translates to Federal Republic of Germany. This doesn't answer your question, but I thought I would throw it out there as long as I did a little research.

I'm 99.54% sure this license plate is legitimate. The late collector Jim Fox, a giant in the world of license plate collecting, had a picture the version with the U.S. flag on the back cover of his book.

I think the USAREUR stands for "United States Army in Europe," as the issuing authority of the license plate.

More information: Military liaison missions.
June 28th, 2018 at 11:35:26 AM permalink
Evenbob
"United States Army Europe (USAREUR), formally United States Army Europe and Seventh Army, is an Army Service Component Command of the United States"

https://www.usarmygermany.com/Sont.htm?https&&&www.usarmygermany.com/Units/HqUSAREUR/USAREUR_HqUSAREUR.htm
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 28th, 2018 at 11:48:37 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

I'm 99.54% sure this license plate is legitimate. The late collector Jim Fox, a giant in the world of license plate collecting, had a picture the version with the U.S. flag on the back cover of his book.

Rep I am sure means a lot. Just throwing out the usual "what are your concerns, Rick" just in case.
The President is a fink.
June 28th, 2018 at 4:59:55 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
I guess all of you have me blocked. I told you what it stood for several posts ago.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
June 28th, 2018 at 5:58:59 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: beachbumbabs
I guess all of you have me blocked.

So talk really loud, then.
June 30th, 2018 at 1:52:35 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
19 hours to go and the price is holding at $750. I have a sniper bid higher than that, but I don't expect it to win. With only nine of these plates made, it is hard to put a value on it, but I predict this will close around $1500.