License plate collecting with the Wizard

Page 56 of 58« First<535455565758>
April 19th, 2020 at 3:42:44 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Gandler
What is the legality of owning old liscense plates?

I'm sure there are all kinds of laws. Many of them are very loosely enforced. In many states, if a car changes hands, the license plate does not. In this case, the old license plates tend to become decoration in somebody's garage. For many years and states, new license plates were issued every year and nobody asked for the old ones back, so they just accumulated.

Yes, when you move to a new state they might ask for the license plate from the previous state. When I moved to Nevada, I surrendered only one of my Maryland plates and they didn't ask about the other one. Same thing when I ordered a personalized plate, they asked for the old ones, I surrendered only one, and the DMV employee didn't ask about the other one.

Short answer is I don't think I'm breaking any US laws. Some foreign countries keep close track of their license plates and they are strictly considered government property. China is a good example. I am probably not supposed to have my license plates from there. I also have one from North Korea and I hear they keep extremely tight control of them there.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
April 19th, 2020 at 3:48:59 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Look what just popped up on Ebay. I would call this a counterfeit. He has lots of others too.

Porcelain License Plate Sign HAWAII 954 1916 Motor Oil gas service station car .

I think I'll report this to Ebay, if I can figure out how.

Follow up: Here is a link to file a report on any item that breaks eBay's rules. I couldn't find a specific choice for counterfeits.
April 19th, 2020 at 3:53:44 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Wizard
Look what just popped up on Ebay. I would call this a counterfeit. He has lots of others too.

Porcelain License Plate Sign HAWAII 954 1916 Motor Oil gas service station car .

I think I'll report this to Ebay, if I can figure out how.

I think they are ok
Pretty obvious they are reproductions for decorations. They are described as a sign
They are pristine, not trying to fake age
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
April 19th, 2020 at 4:04:58 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: terapined

Pretty obvious they are reproductions for decorations. They are described as a sign
They are pristine, not trying to fake age

I'm sure the seller would say that too. However, I'm pretty sure the intent is that the buyer will intend to flip it while conveniently forgetting to mention it is a "sign."

BTW, club policy strictly prohibits buying or selling counterfeits at all. If someone had a missing rare license plate in their collection, it would be absolutely taboo to put a counterfeit in it's place in a display, even disclosing it is a counterfeit. It could get you kicked out of the club.
April 19th, 2020 at 4:12:16 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I'm sure there are all kinds of laws. Many of them are very loosely enforced. In many states, if a car changes hands, the license plate does not. In this case, the old license plates tend to become decoration in somebody's garage. For many years and states, new license plates were issued every year and nobody asked for the old ones back, so they just accumulated.

Yes, when you move to a new state they might ask for the license plate from the previous state. When I moved to Nevada, I surrendered only one of my Maryland plates and they didn't ask about the other one. Same thing when I ordered a personalized plate, they asked for the old ones, I surrendered only one, and the DMV employee didn't ask about the other one.

Short answer is I don't think I'm breaking any US laws. Some foreign countries keep close track of their license plates and they are strictly considered government property. China is a good example. I am probably not supposed to have my license plates from there. I also have one from North Korea and I hear they keep extremely tight control of them there.

N Koerea?!?!?!?!
The President is a fink.
April 19th, 2020 at 4:17:18 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: AZDuffman
N Koerea?!?!?!?!

Yep! That one was not easy nor cheap to obtain.
April 19th, 2020 at 4:19:37 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Yep! That one was not easy nor cheap to obtain.

Probably your hardest one until you boost one from the Popemobile I imagine.......
The President is a fink.
July 15th, 2020 at 4:33:39 PM permalink
AZDuffman
The President is a fink.
May 3rd, 2021 at 1:39:59 PM permalink
terapined
St George UT

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 2nd, 2021 at 8:11:59 PM permalink
terapined
Saw this in Cheyenne
They had a lot
This was the oldest
Page 56 of 58« First<535455565758>