License plate collecting with the Wizard

March 11th, 2015 at 7:52:46 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Face
I even saw a guy who had one that was just painted on with no physical plate to speak of, which is also apparently illegal.

It might not be in Delaware. Unless the law has changed recently, Delaware allows you to make your own license plate, as long as the lettering is at least so big and otherwise easy to read.

In the early days of cars, they didn't make them with any obvious place to put a license plate. Furthermore, in the very early years, depending on the state, they didn't give you a license plate but just a number and you had to make your own. So, a lot of people DID just paint their number on the car, which was legal. This also explains why early plates tend to have lots of extra holes all over the place, as the owners tried to affix them to the car by screwing them on any way they could.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 11th, 2015 at 9:38:29 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Wizard
It might not be in Delaware. Unless the law has changed recently, Delaware allows you to make your own license plate, as long as the lettering is at least so big and otherwise easy to read.

It's likely not. I forget how much NY authoritarianism has influenced my view on, well, everything.

The Nunavut plates are interesting. Surprised they went to the trouble to make 'em into a polar bear shape.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 11th, 2015 at 11:54:29 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Face
The Nunavut plates are interesting. Surprised they went to the trouble to make 'em into a polar bear shape.

Check how much the go for on eBay and you won't be so surprised. They copied the design from the Northwest Territories.
March 11th, 2015 at 3:25:36 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Check how much the go for on eBay and you won't be so surprised. They copied the design from the Northwest Territories.

You see 'em round these parts at times... the NWT ones at least.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
March 11th, 2015 at 5:24:01 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: TheCesspit
You see 'em round these parts at times... the NWT ones at least.

I've only once seen a NWT license plate on a vehicle, in Toronto I think. Surprisingly, I have seen a Nunavut one in Las Vegas once.
March 11th, 2015 at 6:12:07 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
I'm hoping they don't catch it >:-).
Let us know if it gets published. Very cool.
March 11th, 2015 at 6:58:04 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
I've only once seen a NWT license plate on a vehicle, in Toronto I think. Surprisingly, I have seen a Nunavut one in Las Vegas once.

I think I've seen all the Canadian provincial plates now except for Newfoundland and Labrador. We looked out for them on our road trip east to Noerthern Ontario. If you ever get a chance to drive to Northern Ontario, don't take it.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
March 11th, 2015 at 7:09:55 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: TheCesspit
If you ever get a chance to drive to Northern Ontario, don't take it.

:-)

I don't think this counts as "northern" Ontario, but I worked for a summer in Missanabie, Ontario.
March 11th, 2015 at 7:20:53 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
My brother in law lives on Moose Jaw
SK. Flat as a pancake. I think there was
a tree there once but somebody cut
it down. The prairie. Yee Haw.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 11th, 2015 at 9:56:42 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
Flat as a pancake.

Sounds good for long-distance unicycling.