License plate collecting with the Wizard

March 12th, 2015 at 10:46:08 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Wizard
:-)

I don't think this counts as "northern" Ontario, but I worked for a summer in Missanabie, Ontario.

I'd call it that... anywhere in the Canadian shield is 'Northern Ontario'... which stretches up a LOOONNNNGG way.

I'd happily do it by train again. Just driving it is a pain in the backside.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
March 12th, 2015 at 1:45:55 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
You may recall that in my blog entry about my trip to New Zealand I lamented coming home without the European style NZ license plate. Well, now I have my chance. There is an auction for one on Ebay closing about 9:15 PM Pacific time. I've got my sniper bid ready. I think odds of getting it are pretty good, as it really isn't worth that much, and would be primarily for sentimental value.

Here is the one I took a picture of in Queenstown, NZ

Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 12th, 2015 at 1:54:50 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
These two auctions really bother me:

REPRODUCTION....1910 PENNSYLVANIA

and

REPRODUCTION....1915 PENNSYLVANIA

I would lay good odds the buyer will try to resell them as originals at a car show or resell them on eBay after the dust of this auction has cleared. The part about not making any more I don't believe, and I think is there only to drive up the price.

I'm totally against fakes/reproductions. If I had an antique 1910 car and lived in Pennsylvania I'd sooner put a current plate on it than one of these abominations.
March 12th, 2015 at 2:03:26 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
You may recall that in my blog entry about my trip to New Zealand I lamented coming home without the European style NZ license plate. Well, now I have my chance. There is an auction for one on Ebay closing about 9:15 PM Pacific time. I've got my sniper bid ready. I think odds of getting it are pretty good, as it really isn't worth that much, and would be primarily for sentimental value.

Here is the one I took a picture of in Queenstown, NZ

Are there "American" style plates currently in production in NZ too? Or does everyone getting a new plate in NZ have to use the "European" style? I found it interesting that the plates come without holes. One would think EU manufacturers would standardize these things.
March 12th, 2015 at 2:08:47 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I've a question that I hope you don't take the wrong way. It is less a challenge to your integrity and more just my fascination with psychology...

When I tried to procure a BVI I plate, I correctly assumed you would not have accepted it due to the illegal means I would have had to go through to obtain it. Yet with the NM plate, you have one which was, I assume, manufactured illegally and illegally smuggled out of a prison.

What differentiates the two? Is it just the fact that I would have victimized a citizen, whereas the NM just harms "The Man"? Again, this isn't a judgement on your character, rather just my fascination with the "why" behind people's actions.

I hope you're not offended. But I'm curious =)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 12th, 2015 at 3:23:54 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
There is an auction for one on Ebay closing about 9:15 PM Pacific time. I've got my sniper bid ready.

Sniper bids are good for the seller.
When I was selling 15 years ago, buyers
had to be there when the auction
ended to get there bids in.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 12th, 2015 at 9:56:05 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Ayecarumba
Are there "American" style plates currently in production in NZ too? Or does everyone getting a new plate in NZ have to use the "European" style? I found it interesting that the plates come without holes. One would think EU manufacturers would standardize these things.

The standard NZ plates are neither American nor European. They are boring plates that just have the letters and number for the car. You would never know they were from New Zealand. They are about 5" by 14". By comparison, US plates are 6" by 12".

These European style plates you have to pay extra for and I think are always vanity (personalized). They make up only about 1 in 200 cars there.

Quote: Face
I've a question that I hope you don't take the wrong way. It is less a challenge to your integrity and more just my fascination with psychology...

When I tried to procure a BVI I plate, I correctly assumed you would not have accepted it due to the illegal means I would have had to go through to obtain it. Yet with the NM plate, you have one which was, I assume, manufactured illegally and illegally smuggled out of a prison.

What differentiates the two? Is it just the fact that I would have victimized a citizen, whereas the NM just harms "The Man"? Again, this isn't a judgement on your character, rather just my fascination with the "why" behind people's actions.

I hope you're not offended. But I'm curious =)

Thanks for trying in the BVI. Yes, the code of ethics for collectors is absolutely no stolen or fake plates. They shouldn't even be in your collection. A truly ethical collectors would destroy or throw away them if he somehow obtained any, perhaps as part of a sale of a whole lot of plates.

So, about the NM plate. One could argue that the metal and paint used to make it was stolen from the taxpayers of New Mexico. Otherwise, it was not taken from anybody. The guy with the department of prisons had it specifically made at his request and sneaked it out himself, as I understand the story. I personally view this as a fringe benefit of the job. Who doesn't ever take a personal phone call on the job or use the copier for private use? I am sure it technically broke some rules, but who is it hurting? I am more to look at the spirit of a rule than the letter.

Quote: Evenbob
Sniper bids are good for the seller.
When I was selling 15 years ago, buyers
had to be there when the auction
ended to get there bids in.

In my opinion, as a frequent eBay buyer, they are good for the buyer too. Putting in bids early just increases demand. That is why my eBay handle is "secondagain," because before I sniped, I was usually coming in second.
March 13th, 2015 at 12:10:10 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
So you lost the NZ plate? And the
collectors I know have no ethics
behind closed doors, no matter
what they collect. It's every man
for himself.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 13th, 2015 at 4:14:16 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
So you lost the NZ plate?

I got it, as expected.
March 23rd, 2015 at 7:53:19 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Don't know if you're interested, but Supreme Court is hearing a case on license plates and free speech.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/03/23/battle-flag-at-center-supreme-court-free-speech-case/
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?