Lake Mead low water levels

Page 3 of 5<12345>
June 11th, 2021 at 6:09:52 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: missedhervee
I'm not a hydrologist so "shooting from the hip" I have to question that conclusion.

I propose drawing water from the Columbia and pumping it south ONLY during times of higher than necessary water flow.

How could that possibly hurt?

Your problem is the very subjective phrase "higher than necessary". Who gets to make that decision?
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 11th, 2021 at 6:18:59 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
That seems pretty easy: set a benchmark as to what is deemed sufficient water flow, and draw only at times when it is above that level, e.g. spring runoff, after heavy rains, whenever the water level is high enough.

Continue to draw it down until the benchmark is reached, then stop and wait until the level gets higher than the benchmark.

Really, how can anybody object to that?

When originally setting the benchmark be inclusive as to all who are concerned, e.g. agriculture, Indians, fishermen.
June 11th, 2021 at 6:42:41 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: missedhervee
That seems pretty easy: set a benchmark as to what is deemed sufficient water flow, and draw only at times when it is above that level, e.g. spring runoff, after heavy rains, whenever the water level is high enough.

Continue to draw it down until the benchmark is reached, then stop and wait until the level gets higher than the benchmark.

Really, how can anybody object to that?

When originally setting the benchmark be inclusive as to all who are concerned, e.g. agriculture, Indians, fishermen.

You have answered the question. Who sets the benchmark??? You, me, Biden, Trump, California farmers, Oregon environmentalists???
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 11th, 2021 at 8:25:28 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Does anyone really believe we are going to run out of water? Of course water will go up in price but we will never run out. I am very happy to buy 24 bottles of water at 16oz for $2 at the grocery store. I will start pouring that in the toilet before we run out.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
June 11th, 2021 at 11:38:51 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: kenarman
You have answered the question. Who sets the benchmark???

The agency in charge of the project would set the benchmark, after public hearings.

The benchmark would be the water level / water flow below which amount there are problems but so long as it is reached there's enough water to meet Pac NW needs.
June 12th, 2021 at 2:45:57 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: AZDuffman
Now it just gets lower and lower every year.

“Down to 36% capacity”. That means those herbicides, pesticides, petrochemicals, pharmaceuticals and other contaminants in the water are now at higher PPM’s. Not all of them can be removed before the water is returned to the drinking water supply.

"Las Vegas water contained 30 pollutants, including small amounts of radium, arsenic and lead; a dozen exceeded the EPA’s health guidelines. North Las Vegas water contained 11 chemicals that exceeded health guidelines set by federal and state agencies. Researchers found the drinking water had traces of 26 contaminants, including uranium."

“The USGS and U.S Fish and Wildlife Service tracked the channel from its origins, before the inflow from the sewage plants, to where it empties into Las Vegas Bay in the lake. Their findings: The amount of endocrine-disrupting compounds (including hormone treatments and other chemicals affecting reproduction) increased more than 646 times.”

“Not far from the mouth of the drainage channel - amid the fishing boats and sightseeing tours - water is sucked into a long pipe, destined for a drinking water treatment plant, then Las Vegas - thus beginning the cycle all over again.”
June 12th, 2021 at 3:11:11 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: DRich
Does anyone really believe we are going to run out of water? Of course water will go up in price but we will never run out. I am very happy to buy 24 bottles of water at 16oz for $2 at the grocery store. I will start pouring that in the toilet before we run out.

You would be amazed how much water a person uses in a day. I store water for short-term disruptions, which I had one time so far. You can keep enough for drinking easily but washing and toiler eat it up very fast. When I was in high school the city had 2 water emergencies over just 3 years so I got aware at a young age.
The President is a fink.
June 12th, 2021 at 6:11:20 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: kenarman
You have answered the question. Who sets the benchmark??? You, me, Biden, Trump, California farmers, Oregon environmentalists???

As far as I know, water agreements affecting several states are negotiated into agreements by those states. I’m not sure if any state has to follow the exact same process, as long as in the end it receives something legally enforceable.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 12th, 2021 at 7:24:14 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
As far as I know, water agreements affecting several states are negotiated into agreements by those states. I’m not sure if any state has to follow the exact same process, as long as in the end it receives something legally enforceable.

The water from the Colorado River is divided between the states in the area and IIRC Mexico has a share.

The elephant in the room remains CA agriculture. Flying over I remember seeing what had to be the state line. Lush fields on one side of the road, desert on the other. Talking as far as the eye could see not just a tract someone wasn't farming. If that goes down say goodbye to fresh fruit and veggies for that part of the year.
The President is a fink.
June 12th, 2021 at 8:19:49 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: AZDuffman
The water from the Colorado River is divided between the states in the area and IIRC Mexico has a share.

The elephant in the room remains CA agriculture. Flying over I remember seeing what had to be the state line. Lush fields on one side of the road, desert on the other. Talking as far as the eye could see not just a tract someone wasn't farming. If that goes down say goodbye to fresh fruit and veggies for that part of the year.

Even many Republicans are likely to use the resources of the Federal government if it comes down to food issues. Or least enough republicans to pass assistance at a federal level. Perhaps to build those desalination plants.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
Page 3 of 5<12345>