Celebrating Juneteenth

Page 1 of 131234>Last »
June 18th, 2021 at 10:31:43 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Now that this is a federal paid holiday, how are non- blacks supposed to celebrate it. All federal workers no matter what their race will get the day off with pay. Banks are closed, the stock market will be closed, just like any other federal holiday. How am I as a white person supposed to celebrate this holiday. Apparently from what I'm reading nobody knows. If you're black you are encouraged to go on a picnic and eat barbecue. Or attend the Black Parade or a black rodeo.

I read if you're white you're supposed to contemplate 'systemic racism' (whatever that is) and how you as a white person keep it going. I read that you should celebrate Juneteenth if you're white by reading about the history of slavery. I read that if you're white you might try attending a black event but don't be surprised if you're not very well received. I read that whites can celebrate by listening to black music on Juneteenth. Or watching a movie starring black people.

I must say this is the absolute stupidest holiday I have ever heard of. Talk about keeping racial divide alive and well, just sign into law a Federal holiday that only black people are supposed to celebrate. And it's not the same as the 4th of July, black people did not get screwed on the 4th of July. We made ourselves independent from England, we were not the slaves of England, we were not freed on the 4th of July. Black people in this country in 1776 we're just as independent from England as we were.

So what are you doing to celebrate. I'm laughing my ass off this that holiday will accomplish anything besides making the divide even greater between whites and blacks.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 18th, 2021 at 10:44:50 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob

So what are you doing to celebrate. I'm laughing my ass off this that holiday will accomplish anything besides making the divide even greater between whites and blacks.

Same as the other minor federal holidays. Got to work but get less done because some people work and some do not. I honestly never heard of this thing until last year but a big whatever. Now there a 2 "black" federal holidays. This one will just be a reason to say slavery is still affecting us today every year.

As I do not expect the USA to remain as a united country for 50 more years I wonder if the nations that come from areas that never had slavery will still celebrate it.
The President is a fink.
June 18th, 2021 at 10:46:49 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
It’s so weird. Republicans were all for making Juneteenth a national holiday last year when Donny was president.

What changed their minds??

SMASH CUT TO:

“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
June 18th, 2021 at 10:49:46 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: AZDuffman
Same as the other minor federal holidays. Got to work but get less done because some people work and some do not. I honestly never heard of this thing until last year but a big whatever. Now there a 2 "black" federal holidays. This one will just be a reason to say slavery is still affecting us today every year.

As I do not expect the USA to remain as a united country for 50 more years I wonder if the nations that come from areas that never had slavery will still celebrate it.

It’s specific to the US. Why would other nations celebrate it?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 18th, 2021 at 10:53:29 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
It’s specific to the US. Why would other nations celebrate it?

Well, when the USA eventually implodes CA, OR, and WA will probably unite as a country. Will that new nation celebrate it even though not one slave ever lived in any of them?
The President is a fink.
June 18th, 2021 at 11:01:24 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
The whole premise of this post is flawed.

There are many government holidays many people do not "celebrate".

How do atheists celebrate Christmas?
How do people against the Gregorian Calender (there actually are such groups) celebrate New Years?
I could go on, but you get the point.....

I think Holidays based on secular principles and history are more relevant than religious holidays. I think celebrating the end of slavery is extremely important for a Federal Holiday (far more important than Christmas IMO).

"that only black people are supposed to celebrate" , nowhere in the law or holiday is there anything like this, it is about remembering the end of slavery. You don't have to celebrate it if you don't want to, just enjoy the paid day off and go about your life.....
June 18th, 2021 at 11:02:47 AM permalink
fleaswatter
Threads: 3
June 18th, 2021 at 11:05:59 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
And what are Latinos or Asians supposed to do on Juneteenth. They are really out of the loop on this, they had nothing to do with the Civil War or slavery. This is all just paving the way for reparations, you know that's coming next. Print more money we don't have and give every black person $1,000 a month for the next 10 years. How would that work considering most black people in the US have a ton of white DNA in them. Would it cover white people who have black DNA of which there are a fair number? This will get very confusing and piss off a whole lot of people.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 18th, 2021 at 11:09:34 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Evenbob
And what are Latinos or Asians supposed to do on Juneteenth.

They can just spend the day celebrating the fact that Donny is no longer President and a lot of his supporters are really angry about there being a national holiday celebrating the end of slavery. 🤷‍♂️

When the deplorables are mad about something, it usually means the rest of us are thriving.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
June 18th, 2021 at 11:10:22 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
We do have too many idiots that would love to weaken the country by dividing it up.

Try as you might only a powerful dictatorship can keep people from from holding different ideologies even if you started with a unified belief systems, New people are born with new ideas in all countries. Religion can’t even keep people from splitting into factions within their own religion.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
Page 1 of 131234>Last »