Celebrating Juneteenth

Page 13 of 13« First<10111213
June 28th, 2021 at 11:54:50 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: AZDuffman
What meaning of liberalism and conservatism are you talking about?

FWIW I just love how it drives liberals nuts that Lincoln was a Republican.

We can go with Webster:

Liberalism: a political philosophy based on belief in progress, the essential goodness of the human race, and the autonomy of the individual and standing for the protection of political and civil liberties

Conservatism: political philosophy based on tradition and social stability, stressing established institutions, and preferring gradual development to abrupt change

In summary, conservatives are the status quo folks. Liberals are the, take action to make things better folks.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
June 28th, 2021 at 11:59:54 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
FWIW I just love how it drives liberals nuts that Lincoln was a Republican.

You a RINO now?

Lincoln signed the first federal income tax. He then initiated the first progressive tax on the rich. The Republican party under Lincoln passed an inheritance tax. And the federal government expanded under him.

That's the best label you could possibly give him and we know how you feel about RINOs. You just called them traitors.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 28th, 2021 at 12:13:54 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Given the increase in gun violence this century and given the sharp political divisions and hotly held views of the electorate I am a bit surprised that we've not read of anyone trying to assassinate either Obama, Trump or Biden.

Not that they should try: No, that is NOT my point; rather the failure of anyone to act is a bit surprising.

Of course credit must be given to the Secret Service, but I am pleasantly surprised that the whackos have curbed their zeal in this regard.

Assassination of politicians is about as cowardly an act as there is.
June 28th, 2021 at 12:26:54 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: missedhervee
Given the increase in gun violence this century and given the sharp political divisions and hotly held views of the electorate I am a bit surprised that we've not read of anyone trying to assassinate either Obama, Trump or Biden.

Not that they should try: No, that is NOT my point; rather the failure of anyone to act is a bit surprising.

Of course credit must be given to the Secret Service, but I am pleasantly surprised that the whackos have curbed their zeal in this regard.

Assassination of politicians is about as cowardly an act as there is.

Oh how quickly we forget...

“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
June 28th, 2021 at 1:03:30 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: JimRockford

In summary, conservatives are the status quo folks. Liberals are the, take action to make things better folks.

By this logic liberals should want to get rid of abortion and conservatives should want to keep it.

The "liberals want change, conservatives do not" is flawed.
The President is a fink.
June 28th, 2021 at 1:58:22 PM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: AZDuffman
By this logic liberals should want to get rid of abortion and conservatives should want to keep it.

The "liberals want change, conservatives do not" is flawed.

On the abortion issue, liberals have already changed and conservatives want to reverse it. This a more extreme version of a conservative some call reactionary.

But yes the labels are flawed but that's what the words mean. The terms conservative and liberal are, at best, useful generalizations. No person or group is so simple minded to think that nothing should be improved (conservative) or that nothing should remain the same (liberal).
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
Page 13 of 13« First<10111213