Celebrating Juneteenth

Page 4 of 13<1234567>Last »
June 18th, 2021 at 7:34:31 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: missedhervee

Blacks in America are really starting to PISS ME OFF, waving their placards, looting, burning, killing.

I forgot that you live in the BLM capital of the world, Portland Oregon. I would probably be pissed off too. I know a guy on the internet too slow to Portland all his life and is too scared to go downtown anymore.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 18th, 2021 at 7:50:02 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Gandler
My parents (well my father for sure as he spoke of it) knew former slaves growing up, and saw Civil War veterans speak

Good Lord, how old is your father. The last former slave in the US died in 1972 at the age of 130. Two others died the year before at the ages of 120 and 113. There were four others going back to 1957 we're also well over 100 years old. There were five who died in the 1940s who are also well over a hundred. The last Civil War veteran died in 1956 and over a hundred years old. So how is it your dad knew former slaves growing up, he would have to be a hundred years old himself. In the last Civil War veterans who were capable of speaking in public was in the 1940s. You're a millennial, you have a father that's 100 years old? Really, that's the story your sticking with?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 19th, 2021 at 3:35:41 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Evenbob
Good Lord, how old is your father. The last former slave in the US died in 1972 at the age of 130. Two others died the year before at the ages of 120 and 113. There were four others going back to 1957 we're also well over 100 years old. There were five who died in the 1940s who are also well over a hundred. The last Civil War veteran died in 1956 and over a hundred years old. So how is it your dad knew former slaves growing up, he would have to be a hundred years old himself. In the last Civil War veterans who were capable of speaking in public was in the 1940s. You're a millennial, you have a father that's 100 years old? Really, that's the story your sticking with?

No, he was born in forties, and heard a Civil War veteran speak as a young kid the the early 50s (or maybe even late 40s), like I said he was a very young kid, it was some event honoring one of the last surviving that I think his parents brought him to if I am recalling correctly what he said. My father is in his 70s, and my parents had me later in life, so I really don't see how this is unbelievable? (Also you can be born in 1984 and be a millennial).

As for knowing slaves like you said, its the same circumstance, there were still some people claiming to be former slaves through the 70s, though he did say there were some doubts about the story of the speakers (age unverified etc...), this was when he was a bit older or has a teen seek out such speakers on his own. I tend to believe him he likes to seek out such events, so it would not surprise me if as a child he would pressure his parents to take him if he heard or read about it. And, the families of former slaves he was friendly with (even if the actual slaves themselves died when he was quite young), I remember him telling a story of something called chitlins which they used to make (which actually an older person at work was mentioning it earlier this week and made me recall) and how he could never eat them and would feel bad (apparently there was a very strong smell).

As for my grandfather he was 100 (maybe a a few years over 100, I would have to check) when he died (early 90s) so he was born in the early 1890s or thereabouts I would guess so he would have been in his teens and twenties (or there about) in the 1910s and 1920s when he was in school and then worked in DC when many slaves who were freed as children or babies were in there 50s and coming into roles as labor leaders. I have also seen old letter written by him (my grandmother was much younger and lived until far more recently). So I completely believe him being involved in black labor movements in DC as segregation was being more implemented.

DC was kind of an interesting place, because its not a State, and though is basically in Maryland (on that side of the river), it borders Virginia, so a lot of people from Virginia work there and pressure policies there. So DC did have segregation which from my understanding actually got worse in the 1910s-1920s due to some policy changes and this happened to coincide with his presence there.

And, my great grandparents would have been alive and in their prime at the height of slavery and the Civil War, but they did not live in America, and did not immigrate here until after it was over. So many Americans only have to go back 2-3 generations to be during slavery (unless of course they did not live here yet..... as is the case with my family.....), and only one generation to be during segregation. If you are over 70, it should take even less generations....

My only point is to illustrate how recent slavery and segregation is. You don't have to believe my stories (they are all second or third hand so I can't vouch for them 100%, but like I said I have no reason to doubt them). But, you can do the math yourself. Slavery official ended at the end of 1865. The Civil War ended earlier in 1865. Segregation took place legally through the 1960s in many places (and illegally for longer in some places). You can look at your own family history and see who was alive during segregation, the Civil War, and slavery.
June 19th, 2021 at 7:46:21 AM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
I am all for free speech, but I am honestly shocked by the amount of blatant bigotry on this forum. This thread is quickly turning into a thread about how to hate black people for everything.... Just like "The Gay Thread" basically is one long homophobic rant....

I don't understand how in 2021 people can still be this socially backwards..... Actually I can (we have seen who the right supports), but I am more surprised that people are so blatant about it....

This is nothing new among this crowd

https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/general/30375-trumps-second-and-third-year-in-office/990/#post698264
June 19th, 2021 at 8:26:03 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Now that this is a federal paid holiday, how are non- blacks supposed to celebrate it. All federal workers no matter what their race will get the day off with pay. Banks are closed, the stock market will be closed, just like any other federal holiday. How am I as a white person supposed to celebrate this holiday. Apparently from what I'm reading nobody knows. If you're black you are encouraged to go on a picnic and eat barbecue. Or attend the Black Parade or a black rodeo.

I read if you're white you're supposed to contemplate 'systemic racism' (whatever that is) and how you as a white person keep it going. I read that you should celebrate Juneteenth if you're white by reading about the history of slavery. I read that if you're white you might try attending a black event but don't be surprised if you're not very well received. I read that whites can celebrate by listening to black music on Juneteenth. Or watching a movie starring black people.

I must say this is the absolute stupidest holiday I have ever heard of. Talk about keeping racial divide alive and well, just sign into law a Federal holiday that only black people are supposed to celebrate. And it's not the same as the 4th of July, black people did not get screwed on the 4th of July. We made ourselves independent from England, we were not the slaves of England, we were not freed on the 4th of July. Black people in this country in 1776 we're just as independent from England as we were.

So what are you doing to celebrate. I'm laughing my ass off this that holiday will accomplish anything besides making the divide even greater between whites and blacks.

I, "Celebrated," it the same way I celebrate the majority of holidays---by doing exactly what I would be doing anyway were it not a holiday.

While I was aware that yesterday was Juneteenth; I was actually unaware that it had been declared a Federal holiday.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
June 19th, 2021 at 8:41:13 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Oh, the few blacks I've met and spoken to are fine.

No, I'm talking about "the media blacks;" you know, the ones we've seen on TV,.

The majority of Blacks are fine
Why listen to the tiny extremist fraction of Blacks
This is what the fox hate machine wants
They want you to ignore the majority of Blacks that work hard and obey the law
Fox wants you to listen to the tiny extremists to increase your hate
I ignore all extremists. They only represent their tiny fraction of the population.
Take conservatives. I may hate the Trumpers that attacked the Capitol but that has nothing to do with conservatives in general that are law abiding
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 19th, 2021 at 9:03:57 AM permalink
Evenbob
No, he was .

I'm done with you. I don't believe a word
of your 'story' it's just silly beyond any
credibility. I'm embarrassed for you and
don't have time to deal with you. Bye.
Blocked.
June 19th, 2021 at 10:02:16 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
I'm done with you. I don't believe a word
of your 'story' it's just silly beyond any
credibility. I'm embarrassed for you and
don't have time to deal with you. Bye.
Blocked.

You don't believe the stories I have been told by my family? Why would I have anything to gain by a relatively inconsequential story? Like I said, I was not there, its what I have been in random passing stories over the years....

Its okay, after you seeing your above post about not wanting to hire black people, I think you are just upset that I am showing how some people in the 1920s are more socially progressive than you are in the 2020s....
June 19th, 2021 at 10:47:35 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: Mission146
I, "Celebrated," it the same way I celebrate the majority of holidays---by doing exactly what I would be doing anyway were it not a holiday.

While I was aware that yesterday was Juneteenth; I was actually unaware that it had been declared a Federal holiday.

Uh, Mission?

Juneteenth is today, not yesterday.

You're in luck; you can once again do exactly what you would be doing anyway, but all over again.

Sort of like Groundhog Day.
June 19th, 2021 at 11:27:57 AM permalink
Evenbob
Uh, Mission?

Juneteenth is today, not yesterday.

I am all excited with holiday fervor. I would go to a
Black friends house if I had any Black friends.
Page 4 of 13<1234567>Last »