Celebrating Juneteenth

June 20th, 2021 at 6:38:55 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Should we add Federal Holidays without getting rid of a Federal Holiday? I vote for either Columbus Day or Labor Day to go.

Columbus Day because it's based on a pretty blatant mischaracterization of events.

Labor Day because most people who would qualify as, "Labor," excepting Federal, State and bank employees, end up having to work that day anyway.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
June 20th, 2021 at 7:57:25 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Mission146
Should we add Federal Holidays without getting rid of a Federal Holiday? I vote for either Columbus Day or Labor Day to go.

Columbus Day because it's based on a pretty blatant mischaracterization of events.

Labor Day because most people who would qualify as, "Labor," excepting Federal, State and bank employees, end up having to work that day anyway.

I have never worked somewhere where Columbus Day was a Holiday (in the sense of being a paid holiday). Asking random people or HR out of curiosity Columbus was almost always traded for The Day After Thanksgiving (to make it a two day holiday) or New Years Eve some time ago (to make New Years another two day holiday). This may be one of the only Federal Holidays that is routinely changed by State and Local governments (because most people would rather have a Four Day Thanksgiving weekend and/or Two days for New Years).

Labor Day is pretty universal though. I think it is an important holiday as it celebrates all workers and is historical (1890s), Columbus Day is a relatively new Federal Holiday (in the sense of comparison to the Date of the events), and from my understanding exists largely due to lobbying in the 1960s from the Catholic Church and Italian organizations to put an Italian in the American spotlight. Its existence is quite strange if you read on the reasons it was founded (And, I am not somebody who hates Columbus or thinks that he was evil), but the whole founding of the holiday is bizarre.
June 20th, 2021 at 9:29:30 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Gandler
I have never worked somewhere where Columbus Day was a Holiday (in the sense of being a paid holiday). Asking random people or HR out of curiosity Columbus was almost always traded for The Day After Thanksgiving (to make it a two day holiday) or New Years Eve some time ago (to make New Years another two day holiday). This may be one of the only Federal Holidays that is routinely changed by State and Local governments (because most people would rather have a Four Day Thanksgiving weekend and/or Two days for New Years).

Labor Day is pretty universal though. I think it is an important holiday as it celebrates all workers and is historical (1890s), Columbus Day is a relatively new Federal Holiday (in the sense of comparison to the Date of the events), and from my understanding exists largely due to lobbying in the 1960s from the Catholic Church and Italian organizations to put an Italian in the American spotlight. Its existence is quite strange if you read on the reasons it was founded (And, I am not somebody who hates Columbus or thinks that he was evil), but the whole founding of the holiday is bizarre.

Get rid of Columbus day and labor day
Labor day is absurd
Just about everybody works
It's just a day off celebrating really nothing just like Columbus day.
I just got rid of 2 meaningless holidays
To be replaced by juneteenth
And
Voting day
It's really absurd that we have to work on the day we vote
We should have the day off and celebrate Democracy
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 20th, 2021 at 9:49:53 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler

Labor Day is pretty universal though. I think it is an important holiday as it celebrates all workers and is historical (1890s),

Labor Day is nothing special. It was put where it is to both ends summer and give a halfway break between Independence Day and Thanksgiving.

I saw a "Happy Juneteenth" card on TV. Fist in the African, not USA, colors. Looks like a black Nazi salute or something.
The President is a fink.
June 21st, 2021 at 11:20:39 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: AZDuffman
I saw a "Happy Juneteenth" card on TV. Fist in the African, not USA, colors. Looks like a black Nazi salute or something.

So many of Duffman’s posts sound like they could have been written by these monsters:

“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
June 21st, 2021 at 1:31:35 PM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Biden explains Junteenth:

June 22nd, 2021 at 9:07:03 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I am all wore out from celebrating Juneteenth. I'm so glad it's a year away.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 23rd, 2021 at 4:21:38 PM permalink
Gandler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h535TzrcjUE

This is pretty epic, General Milley explains the importance of teaching racial history to Matt Gaetz (though it probably falls on deaf ears). But, the General is spot on with the importance of history and understanding racial prejudice.

The only thing I don't understand is he says that he is a fellow green beret (unless referring to somebody else), as far as I can tell Gaetz, was never in any branch of the military, certainly not Army Special Forces.... (Also, I guarantee Gaetz has not heard from any unit, they feel under pressure and "impaired group cohesion", certainly not their "number one issue", from the "extremism stand-down", which is literally a twenty minute PowerPoint slide packet, really more like 20 seconds if you just want to click through it to check the box.....)
June 23rd, 2021 at 5:02:25 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Glad to see Matt Gaetz was able to take some time off from child sex trafficking in order to ask some tough questions.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
June 23rd, 2021 at 5:32:47 PM permalink
Gandler
Quote: ams288
Glad to see Matt Gaetz was able to take some time off from child sex trafficking in order to ask some tough questions.

Gaetz probably will not actually visit a military unit, because all of the women are at least 17.....

But more seriously, certainly the fact that he thinks this is the "number one issue", proves the above if nothing else.... Trust me, most people clicked through the slides, and never thought of it again (like most "mandatory training").... The idea that this is some cultural imposition or massive issue that anyone cares or is even still thinking of is beyond absurd and just pandering to his base. I honestly forgot about it until this scene today (the "training stand-down" , not the racial disparities in America).... Its literally a few PowerPoint slides to click through with various examples of extremism and the DA polices (and then email your Commander that you read them) [also if I recall much of the training packet had many examples of non-white extremism, including religious extremism, so the idea that this is some anti-white training is even more absurd], not some radical change of policy or culture.... This is an example of somebody causing prolonged outrage about something that he could have read in 10-20 minutes (and, if he was sane, would agree with all of it), but instead twists it into some Critical Race Theory conspiracy....

Here is an example of the presentation (for anyone who doubts the above), from a public sources, it is 2 hours long (largely because back and forth on Teams), but most of the time is them talking, the actual slides (and from what I have listened to so far they do a good job, and its a fine presentation) take 10-20 minutes to read or 10-20 seconds to click through if your only goal is to check the box (or you can be really rogue and just email your CO that you read them if you cannot even be bothered to do that).... Anyway, the point is, its a nothing burger. Typical Army PowerPoint slide show...

https://www.dvidshub.net/video/788047/eo-extremism-stand-down-day