Climate change deniers

Page 6 of 8« First<345678>
July 23rd, 2021 at 8:11:42 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: JimRockford
I have noticed people who oppose taking action to slow climate change use any of several different arguments that conflict with eachother. Sometimes the same person will jump around between these positions.

- The earth is not warming.
- The earth is warming but it is natural.
- The earth is warming and it is likely caused by human activity, but it will be beneficial.
- The earth is warming and it is likely caused by human activity and it will be harmful but I don't care.

Have I missed any? The last one is just Mission trying to piss people off.

No, it isn't. Human life has no inherent value. In the end, we are all extinct anyway. In the end, Earth no longer exists.

There's absolutely no meaning or value in trying to put that off as it is inevitable one way or another. That doesn't mean that we should necessarily go out of our way to expedite the process, at least, I'd hope that someone expediting it is doing it for some more useful reason than JUST to do it, but there's no value in delaying it, either.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
July 23rd, 2021 at 8:28:10 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Mission146
In the end, Earth no longer exists.

Recently the Keppler telescope (I think it was the Keppler) discovered 4 Earth sized planets free floating in space==in no orbit of any star. Proving, ( or perhaps not) we're a universe of meaningless existence, but some things are more meaningless than others.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 23rd, 2021 at 8:29:54 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
No, it isn't. Human life has no inherent value. In the end, we are all extinct anyway. In the end, Earth no longer exists.

There's absolutely no meaning or value in trying to put that off as it is inevitable one way or another. That doesn't mean that we should necessarily go out of our way to expedite the process, at least, I'd hope that someone expediting it is doing it for some more useful reason than JUST to do it, but there's no value in delaying it, either.

Hey, I know better than to argue with a moral nihilist. You end up trying to convince them that they care about something when they don't.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
July 23rd, 2021 at 8:38:17 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: rxwine
Recently the Keppler telescope (I think it was the Keppler) discovered 4 Earth sized planets free floating in space==in no orbit of any star. Proving, ( or perhaps not) we're a universe of meaningless existence, but some things are more meaningless than others.

Meaninglessness doesn't exist by degree, or it wouldn't be meaninglessness.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
July 23rd, 2021 at 8:39:02 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: JimRockford
Hey, I know better than to argue with a moral nihilist. You end up trying to convince them that they care about something when they don't.

I accept your concession of my point.
July 23rd, 2021 at 8:45:59 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Meaninglessness doesn't exist by degree, or it wouldn't be meaninglessness.

I don't mind a "dead-ender" type view, but it also means there is nothing left to discuss. : )
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 23rd, 2021 at 8:47:53 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
I don't mind a "dead-ender" type view, but it also means there is nothing left to discuss. : )

Well played!
July 23rd, 2021 at 9:12:08 AM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4

By taking that viewpoint, you are saying you know 100% the nature of our existence.

Which is fine, I have no problem with that, but it’s not any more/less correct than any given religion.
July 23rd, 2021 at 9:29:44 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: gamerfreak
By taking that viewpoint, you are saying you know 100% the nature of our existence.

Which is fine, I have no problem with that, but it’s not any more/less correct than any given religion.

Excuse me, I forgot a word I usually use. Human life has no provable inherent value.
July 23rd, 2021 at 9:36:17 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Northeast. Heat waves, heavy downpours and sea level rise pose growing challenges to many aspects of life in the Northeast......

Yeah, it's the end of the world.

Meanwhile, US crop yields are up more than 50% in the last thirty years.

"USDA Sees Record-High 2020 U.S. Corn, Soybean Yields"

The real purpose of the climate change discussion is to justify an additional tax burden on the population, in the form of a carbon tax. Corporations pass along their carbon tax burden to the consumers, and like Tesla, they can sell their carbon credits for profit.
Page 6 of 8« First<345678>