Humanity colonizing the galaxy

Page 3 of 4<1234>
June 29th, 2021 at 1:08:42 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: missedhervee
We have finally conquered our planet; no more untouched resources to easily exploit, no more peoples to defeat and absorb.

Given that humanity's playbook has ALWAYS involved exploration, conquest and exploitation in order to fuel cultural and scientific advances then yeah, we sure as hell need to look beyond this planet for new opportunities.

Otherwise we'll stagnate and fade away.

Sorry to break it to you, but we are going to fade away. Western culture and values are circling the drain as we speak. Look how many Americans totally hate their own history and culture. Things are going down hard.

1,000 years of humanity left. The years 2100-2300 will be extremely hard on humanity. The 800 after that will be like a permanent decline with little hope.
The President is a fink.
June 29th, 2021 at 2:06:15 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
We have finally conquered our planet; no more untouched resources to easily exploit, no more peoples to defeat and absorb.

Given that humanity's playbook has ALWAYS involved exploration, conquest and exploitation in order to fuel cultural and scientific advances then yeah, we sure as hell need to look beyond this planet for new opportunities.

Otherwise we'll stagnate and fade away.

What's the problem with that?
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
June 29th, 2021 at 2:18:03 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
An existentialist might say "No problem," but an Imperialist would balk.

I suppose the answer depends on how you frame the question:

Should humanity continue to exist and evolve?

Or

Does our track record to date warrant humanity's extinction?

Setting aside issues of politics and culture and getting down to fundamentals, one common thing we see in the world around us is the efforts made by all forms of life to continue to reproduce and to adapt to their situation in order to perpetuate the species.

Should we be any different?
June 29th, 2021 at 2:38:31 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
An existentialist might say "No problem," but an Imperialist would balk.

I suppose the answer depends on how you frame the question:

Should humanity continue to exist and evolve?

Or

Does our track record to date warrant humanity's extinction?

Setting aside issues of politics and culture and getting down to fundamentals, one common thing we see in the world around us is the efforts made by all forms of life to continue to reproduce and to adapt to their situation in order to perpetuate the species.

Should we be any different?

We just do things. There is no, "Should,' or, 'Should not,' about it---that's kind of my point.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
June 29th, 2021 at 2:42:34 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: Mission146
We just do things. There is no, "Should,' or, 'Should not,' about it---that's kind of my point.

"An unexamined life is not worth living." --- Socrates
June 29th, 2021 at 2:47:40 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Mission146

That is the point. What happens to "humanity" is going to happen. Namely our extinction sooner than so many people think. The pattern for it happening is now clear. We had a good run.
The President is a fink.
June 29th, 2021 at 3:18:48 PM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Whenever two cultures with a large disparity in technology have met, it hasn’t ended well for the inferior group. I say let the mystery be.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
June 29th, 2021 at 3:44:59 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: AZDuffman
Of course he is, remember Tesla has not made a profit on the cars yet. He is one of those "idea guys" who should be in charge of the lab not be CEO.

At the rate he is going he will be a guest in Allenwood, PA if he does not learn to keep his mouth shut about the financial markets. He does not grasp that AZDuffman on a minor forum talking about Tesla is allowed, a corporate officer doing it on Twitter not so much.

Here is my thing, I think a lot of his companies are silly. And, I really don't care, he is a billionaire, if he wants to blow his money hyping projects that will never happen (or at least never happen anywhere close to the timeframe that he promises in his hype fests) that is fine. But, he should not be getting government money. We don't need cities funding the developments of tunnels that accomplish nothing (or Space Force spending billions on launch contracts that should be handled in house).

I have not seen it yet, but I know many people here live in LV, his Vegas loop seems like a total joke.... Next time I visit Vegas I will probably visit it out of morbid curiosity (if its still open)....

I will say Elon Musk supporters are some of the most insane (its not even a political thing, I think he has fans in all spectrums). I see some videos on Youtube that seem to praise him endlessly, it really seems like he is a cult leader to some people... Which is neither here nor there, just an observation.... I have never been a fan of Musk (not that I hate him, I just don't understand the fascination), so I may just be missing something.... But, everyone (by everyone I mean Musk fans, poor wording) acting like he will be the man to lead us to interplanetary salvation, I just don't get it....
June 29th, 2021 at 6:05:41 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Gandler
Here is my thing, I think a lot of his companies are silly. And, I really don't care, he is a billionaire, if he wants to blow his money hyping projects that will never happen (or at least never happen anywhere close to the timeframe that he promises in his hype fests) that is fine. But, he should not be getting government money. We don't need cities funding the developments of tunnels that accomplish nothing (or Space Force spending billions on launch contracts that should be handled in house).

I have not seen it yet, but I know many people here live in LV, his Vegas loop seems like a total joke.... Next time I visit Vegas I will probably visit it out of morbid curiosity (if its still open)....

I will say Elon Musk supporters are some of the most insane (its not even a political thing, I think he has fans in all spectrums). I see some videos on Youtube that seem to praise him endlessly, it really seems like he is a cult leader to some people... Which is neither here nor there, just an observation.... I have never been a fan of Musk (not that I hate him, I just don't understand the fascination), so I may just be missing something.... But, everyone (by everyone I mean Musk fans, poor wording) acting like he will be the man to lead us to interplanetary salvation, I just don't get it....

I never realized anyone thought of him as a "cult" figure. But then, I can't think of anyone living or dead, no matter how brilliant who deserves more than human status.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 30th, 2021 at 3:46:50 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
"An unexamined life is not worth living." --- Socrates

It is examined. You can't come up with a conclusion of, "No inherent meaning," without examining the question. I never would have left church in the first place, for one thing.
Page 3 of 4<1234>