Welders: Masters Of Manning Machines That Make Metal Melty

Page 3 of 3<123
June 12th, 2014 at 5:34:16 AM permalink
chickenman
Threads: 0
Quote: Face
I have camber =D

Hopefully as a result you won't be finding out soon if FrGamble's bet pays off or the "Don'ts" favored by most of the other posters. :-0
He's everywhere, he's everywhere...!
June 12th, 2014 at 6:18:55 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Fingers crossed =)

To be honest, I'm not entirely worried about physical safety. Sending a car end over end through the trees at 90mph and walking away tends to lessen one's fears about little knocks and bangs ;)

This track is highly banked. Most people in my division who lose a tire in the corner can get it whoa'd down enough that they don't even hit the wall. It's a hell of a hill you have to climb to reach it. Granted, a flat tire has a lot more traction than no tire at all.

I figure the most stress on it is entering the corner. Smashing on the brakes, turning, and having it torque in the banking puts all sorts of forces on it. If I lost it there, I'd likely not avoid the wall, but I'd hit it at a very shallow angle at about 30mph. I'd be sore, sure. Even that car contact I had gave me a bruise from the shoulder straps. But I'd walk away.

I think my worst fear is it would do it exiting the corner. I have a lot more speed exiting and the banking falls away. A 40*angle at 50mph would surely hurt a bit more. If it does break, I just hope there's a car between me and the wall to cushion the blow =)

The most danger comes from getting smashed by another car if I get disabled mid track. I'm confident in my cage, but a hard shot dead to the rear makes me worry about the gas tank. This thing ain't easy to get out of in a hurry =/

But I have faith. This is the best SMAW weld I ever did. And if it doesn't hold, pfft. Won't be the first time I've lost a tire in traffic ;)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
Page 3 of 3<123