chip shortage devestating new car sales

Page 4 of 8<1234567>Last »
September 22nd, 2021 at 5:14:24 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: SOOPOO
Went to buy new car yesterday. Was thinking Subaru Legacy or maybe CrossTrek. Subaru salesman…. we have ZERO new cars available. ‘Hopefully we get some in the end of October’. Wife likes the VW Tiguan. VW dealer has 2. Remember, they are 2021 model. In a normal year the 2022’s are already out and they are desperate to get rid of 2021’s. The offer was the MSRP. I walked out. Will see if they call me back.

My sister got a Legacy when it was car of the year. She really likes it.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 22nd, 2021 at 6:24:06 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: rxwine
My sister got a Legacy when it was car of the year. She really likes it.

I’ve owned two legacy’s. I liked them. As far as the MSRP for the Tiguan, it’s a 2021. Basically will be ‘a year old’ as soon as I get it, as far as it’s resale value. My timeline is I hope to take possession of a new car by Thanksgiving, so no urgency. Plus I am open to many possibilities. Toyota Rav 4 may be a possibility.

Just remembered….. bought wifey new Dodge Charger a few months ago (end of June I think). We got a few thousand off MSRP via some ‘dealer incentive promotion’ or some such. We had to buy the car while it was in transit to the dealership sight unseen. But still paid less than MSRP.
September 22nd, 2021 at 6:46:43 PM permalink
rxwine
I’ve owned two legacy’s. I liked them. As far as the MSRP for the Tiguan, it’s a 2021. Basically will be ‘a year old’ as soon as I get it, as far as it’s resale value. My timeline is I hope to take possession of a new car by Thanksgiving, so no urgency. Plus I am open to many possibilities. Toyota Rav 4 may be a possibility.

Just remembered….. bought wifey new Dodge Charger a few months ago (end of June I think). We got a few thousand off MSRP via some ‘dealer incentive promotion’ or some such. We had to buy the car while it was in transit to the dealership sight unseen. But still paid less than MSRP.

I used Edmunds.com You put in the car you're looking for and all the dealers within a couple hundred miles will contact you if they have what you're looking for.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 23rd, 2021 at 9:30:54 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Went to buy new car yesterday. Was thinking Subaru Legacy or maybe CrossTrek. Subaru salesman…. we have ZERO new cars available. ‘The offer was the MSRP. I walked out.
Quote: AZDuffman
Surprised they offered MSRP. These parts some have a "Market Inventory Adjustment" $500-1500.

I went to our local Subaru Dealer, and the salesgirl assured me that they do not have a "Market Inventory Adjustment". I said wonderful, what have you got? She said they only had a single new 2021 Forester on the lot

$24,795 2021 Forester Base Price (Cargo volume 69.2 to 74.3 ft³ with seat area)
$10,100 additional markup for "Touring Trim"
$943 option package #1
$454 option package #2
$1,050 delivery fee
$37,342 total MSRP (50% over base price)

So even without a "Market Inventory Adjustment" that is a lot of money for a vehicle with a 182 hp engine and CVT transmission.

The old Subaru has a 173 hp engine and 4 speed Automatic transmission. (Cargo volume 61.6 ft³ with seat area). It cost
$17,295 which included the delivery fee.

A lot of people with CVT really miss their old automatic transmission. So we are talking about an extra $20K for 9 more horsepower and 12.7 more ft³ of cargo volume plus a little more headroom. Also lots of new plastic and electronics.

I think new brakepads and tires on the old vehicle is the wiser course of action.

September 23rd, 2021 at 9:40:01 AM permalink
rxwine
Can't see buying during a "sellers" market, unless for some reason you can't wait any longer. Wouldn't this be a seller's market? Or is it possibly not because dealerships need enough sales per month for payroll and expenses.
September 23rd, 2021 at 9:46:51 AM permalink
rxwine
BTW, last advice I read said 3% over invoice is a fair profit for new car sellers. You have to ask to see the invoice as they won't offer it openly.

edit - you also have to ask about dealers getting rebates and appropriate payment for a trade-in, if you have one. Otherwise, those are all means of increasing their profits.

Then you also will probably have to deal with extra options for add ons where they can also pad their profits.

Then you have to double check the out the door price to make sure they didn't fudge the final price. I still remember going with a female friend where the dealer promised an out the door flat price of 13K for a new honda (back in 1990) When she got the final paperwork it was like 13,800. I stopped her from signing it. And he then adjusted it to 13k. Saved her that $800 in one second.
September 23rd, 2021 at 10:02:09 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Pacomartin

A lot of people with CVT really miss their old automatic transmission. So we are talking about an extra $20K for 9 more horsepower and 12.7 more ft³ of cargo volume plus a little more headroom. Also lots of new plastic and electronics.

I bought a Honda CRV this year and it has a CVT. I don't notice any difference between it and an automatic transmission. The newer automatic transmission are so quiet and smooth now. The Honda does seem to coast for a longer time than other cars but I don't know if that is because of the CVT.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 23rd, 2021 at 11:51:57 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: DRich
I bought a Honda CRV this year and it has a CVT. I don't notice any difference between it and an automatic transmission.

Complaints about CVT are more about how they age and the maintenance required. They are also more prone to catastrophic failure than an automatic transmission. CVTs are cheaper to produce and more importantly they improve gas mileage, so the manufacturer gets a bonus without having to redesign the engine. Subaru uses them for all their vehicles, but it is extremely difficult to find a low priced vehicle without CVT.

One of the very few compact cars left without CVT (still uses gears) is the Mazda 3.

2021 Mazda3 Compact car MSRP: From $20,650
Engine: 2.0 L 4-cylinder (155hp), 2.5 L 4-cylinder (227 hp)
Transmission 6 speed manual or automatic
MPG: Up to 28 city / 36 highway
Dimensions: 176-184″ L x 71″ W x 57″ H
Curb weight: 3,022 to 3,255 lbs
September 23rd, 2021 at 12:09:57 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Pacomartin
Complaints about CVT are more about how they age and the maintenance required. They are also more prone to catastrophic failure than an automatic transmission. CVTs are cheaper to produce and more importantly they improve gas mileage, so the manufacturer gets a bonus without having to redesign the engine. Subaru uses them for all their vehicles, but it is extremely difficult to find a low priced vehicle without CVT.

One of the very few compact cars left without CVT (still uses gears) is the Mazda 3.

2021 Mazda3 Compact car MSRP: From $20,650
Engine: 2.0 L 4-cylinder (155hp), 2.5 L 4-cylinder (227 hp)
Transmission 6 speed manual or automatic
MPG: Up to 28 city / 36 highway
Dimensions: 176-184″ L x 71″ W x 57″ H
Curb weight: 3,022 to 3,255 lbs

Nissan has a 100,000 mile warranty on their drivetrain of NV200 CVT. But I did see a complaint of someone who said soon after the 100k mark, it had a total failure.
September 23rd, 2021 at 12:56:52 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: rxwine
Nissan has a 100,000 mile warranty on their drivetrain of NV200 CVT. But I did see a complaint of someone who said soon after the 100k mark, it had a total failure.

You tend to see that 100,000 mile number in a number of places on the internet.

How Long Do CVT Transmissions Last?
The longevity of a CVT is dependent on many factors. CVTs have been around for a while, but only recently have they become affordable and reliable. A CVT in a late model vehicle should easily surpass 100,000 miles with regular maintenance but older CVTs may not last as long.

My father's first CVT is going to go over 100,000 miles this month.

Here's The Terrible Transmission That Might Kill Nissan is about JATCO.

Opposing videos. One from a CVT manufacturer extolling the virtues of CVT, and another from Scotty Kilmer titled "Why Most CVT Transmission Cars are Terrible?".

Quote: DRich
I bought a Honda CRV this year and it has a CVT. I don't notice any difference between it and an automatic transmission. The newer automatic transmission are so quiet and smooth now. The Honda does seem to coast for a longer time than other cars but I don't know if that is because of the CVT.

Honda makes one of the best CVT transmissions around, and it really helps with the refinement of the Honda CR-V. Apart from being surefooted and well balanced, the Honda CR-V is also silky smooth, and the CVT transmission helps the SUV accelerate off the line with ease. Ref: Best CVT Transmissions Aug 13, 2021

I don't want you to feel bad about your purchase.
Page 4 of 8<1234567>Last »