chip shortage devestating new car sales

Page 5 of 8« First<2345678>
September 23rd, 2021 at 1:09:46 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin
Complaints about CVT are more about how they age and the maintenance required. They are also more prone to catastrophic failure than an automatic transmission.

The complaint I hear most often is with no warning the transmission will fail and leave you stranded. It just quits on the freeway, downtown, in the middle of nowhere, you cannot depend on it. No thanks
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 23rd, 2021 at 1:29:43 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
You tend to see that 100,000 mile number in a number of places on the internet.

How Long Do CVT Transmissions Last?

Quote: link
You'll need to do some extra research before you buy a used car with a CVT as recommended by Samarins. Because of the expense of replacing a CVT, be sure you take a test drive, conduct an inspection, and check the warranty on it.

While test driving, look out for the following:

Slow shifting: While you don't have to shift a CVT from first to second gear, you do have to shift between park, drive, and reverse. If it takes more than a second or so for the transmission to shift, it can indicate a faulty CVT that may break down soon.

Strange sounds: CVTs are naturally louder than their traditional counterparts, but they shouldn't be so loud that humming and whining are normal. If you hear excessive noise when accelerating, that's a red flag.

Slipping: When you accelerate, you should experience a continuous, seamless acceleration. If it slips or momentarily loses power, the CVT is faulty.
Jerky shifting: Shifting should never jerk or jolt the vehicle.

Inconsistent rpm: A CVT should remain consistent, so if you notice a fluctuation in rpm while you're driving at a steady speed, that may indicate a problem.

Dirty transmission fluid: If the transmission fluid is dirty, it could indicate an issue with the CVT, among other problems.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
September 23rd, 2021 at 1:54:08 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: odiousgambit
Dirty transmission fluid: If the transmission fluid is dirty, it could indicate an issue with the CVT, among other problems.

This one is difficult for me as I see tons of articles and videos warning people that changing transmission fluid and in particular doing a transmission fluid flush on a car over 100,000 miles can actually create problems. I've seen videos where some mechanics pour out a cup of dirty transmission fluid, and change the filter, then pour the dirty transmission fluid back in and top off if necessary.

I was trying to get my father to flush his transmission fluid for the first time now that he has reached 100,000 miles, but I would feel terrible if it creates more problems for him.

A local mechanic flushed my transmission fluid for $128 on a car with 60,000 miles.
September 23rd, 2021 at 4:01:26 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
This one is difficult for me as I see tons of articles and videos warning people that changing transmission fluid and in particular doing a transmission fluid flush on a car over 100,000 miles can actually create problems.

My dad rebuilt large Allison transmissions and he was one who said do not flush when mileage is high. Change fluid, yes, but flushing was asking for problems. He said the same about coolant and any kind of flush.
The President is a fink.
September 23rd, 2021 at 4:59:15 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: AZDuffman
My dad rebuilt large Allison transmissions and he was one who said do not flush when mileage is high.

Thank you for that.
September 23rd, 2021 at 7:17:46 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
My dad rebuilt large Allison transmissions and he was one who said do not flush when mileage is high. Change fluid, yes, but flushing was asking for problems. He said the same about coolant and any kind of flush.

Scotty Kilmer agrees.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 23rd, 2021 at 7:23:42 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

I say just sell it when the miles get high and it is no longer your problem. Of course, I sell a car before the tire tread gets low because I would rather buy a new car than new tires. I have never replaced tires for a car other than a flat or blowout.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 24th, 2021 at 4:27:06 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: DRich
I have never replaced tires for a car other than a flat or blowout.

Usually tires have to be replaced at or before 50,000 miles. Are you saying you have never kept a car over 50,000 miles?

My brother's CFO feels that all company cars should be replaced at 36 months, so I guess you wouldn't be the only one.
September 25th, 2021 at 7:58:28 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Usually tires have to be replaced at or before 50,000 miles. Are you saying you have never kept a car over 50,000 miles?

My brother's CFO feels that all company cars should be replaced at 36 months, so I guess you wouldn't be the only one.

That is correct, I don't think that I have ever put more than 30,000 miles on a car. I don't drive a lot and usually get a new car every three years.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 26th, 2021 at 3:29:23 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: DRich
That is correct, I don't think that I have ever put more than 30,000 miles on a car. I don't drive a lot and usually get a new car every three years.

What cars do you buy?

Subaru (as an example) has had a series of design flaws which tends to result in engine failures over 100,000 miles. They settled a class action lawsuit in 2016 that made a few lawyers very rich, had a few people get new engines, and a lot of other people get coupons.

I guess this is like 3rd world problems to you.

Page 5 of 8« First<2345678>