Reopening fiasco?

July 21st, 2021 at 10:46:46 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: petroglyph

Do you know what vaccine the relatives in bold received, especially the two who are negative?

The sister who is really sick and her husband got J & J. The other four got Pfizer
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 22nd, 2021 at 2:00:52 AM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Quote: Evenbob
The updates from the reunion from hell are rolling in. 
Sincere thanks for the fulsome update.
I certainly wouldn't sit in a van with someone who was coughing. No way in hell. I would see the coughing sister as extremely culpable and would have parted ways with her at the first cough, though I recognise how socially awkward and inconvenient that would be.. and others in the car were maybe too polite, tolerant, or dismissive because they felt safe with their vaccine status.

As I started to read, I was expecting and hoping for some report back of the bigger event. Have you heard yet of any consequences from the larger 70 person gathering?

We don't get the J&J vaccine in blighty, mostly Astra Zeneca, with the elderly tending to get the Pfizer one. Side effects of the AZ were very minor and for the Pfizer one, my 92yo MIL had no ill effects whatsoever. We get no choice of which we are given, but there are no barriers to getting it.

So EB. I hope you are going to stay safe. Do you feel safe? IDK whether you had full vaccination yet, but I wish you and the wife well.
July 22nd, 2021 at 1:44:31 PM permalink
Evenbob
Even more updates. My brother-in-law and his wife were the other two people in the van who didn't show symptoms. They are from Canada. Well the brother-in-law started showing symptoms yesterday and got tested for covid and he has it too. But it's very mild and they will let him back into Canada if he has been tested no matter what the outcome was. They can't keep him out because he's a citizen, him and his wife. They are both 73 years old. The other two sisters are still bad but they're not any worse.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 22nd, 2021 at 7:37:38 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Mission146
Both sides combined, I have met fewer than twenty people, lifetime.

I believe that I have five cousins, I haven't seen or talked to any of them in 45 years. The only way I would see them would be if any of them came to my parents funerals.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
July 22nd, 2021 at 10:18:48 PM permalink
Evenbob
A side effect of the covid mask mandate in California is in places like San Francisco it's turned into the shoplifting capital of the United States. The crooks realized right away that if I'm wearing a mask everywhere I go there's no camera that knows who I am I can walk into any store and steal whatever I want and walk out and that's what they're doing.

July 23rd, 2021 at 1:21:45 AM permalink
Evenbob
I guess this is the week from hell. Earlier today, Thursday, around noon my brother calls me who lives just down the road I can see his driveway from my driveway in the winter. He's 65 years old he tells me he can't get out of his Lazy Boy. I go down there and he's looking very strange. Got a gallon jug of water sitting next to him and I said did you drink all that water? When's the last time you were out of that chair? Yesterday he said. Oh my dear God say I, have you pissed your pants if you haven't been out of that chair in 24 hours? He says no, he hasn't urinated in two days.

Now I'm absolutely freaking out. Obviously his kidneys shut down and he doesn't even know it because he's a zombie. So he's literally dying in front of me. He wants me to help him up so he can go to his desk and work on his computer. I'm yelling at him, are you freaking insane! You probably drank 2 gallons of water in two days and haven't pissed. I'm on the phone calling 911 for the first time in my life. They were very professional and very nice. I felt like I was talking to people who you see on TV shows. Except this was real life.

The paramedics and the ambulance show up about 12 minutes later. My brother it's probably 80 lb overweight so I told them they had to send extra people so they had another vehicle with local firefighters. Oh my God, almost all episodes on TV are correct. These guys were all late 20s early 30s, in extremely good condition and they were all very good looking. I kid you not, I thought I was on a TV episode. They were extremely and I mean extremely professional and efficient. They asked my brother a bunch of questions very nicely very politely and they brought a tarp into the house and got him out of the chair on to the tarp and 6 of these guys grab the handles of the tarp and ran him out to a cart. Which wheeled him into the back on the ambulance.

He is in ICU tonight while they try and find out why his kidneys shut down. It was scary because he didn't know what was going on he did not want me to call 911 he thought he was just sick. Nobody drinks 2 gallons of water in two days without urinating. But it had screwed up his mind somehow. Now I'm just waiting to see what happens next.

With my wife's families covid crisis and now I have a family crisis the last 5 days feels like 3 weeks. I took a bunch of pics of the paramedics dealing with my brother maybe I will post on them tomorrow. I've been watching this stuff on TV since the 1980s this is the first real life experience I've had with it. The absolute shear professionalism of these people blows my mind.
July 23rd, 2021 at 4:16:46 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
A side effect of the covid mask mandate in California is in places like San Francisco it's turned into the shoplifting capital of the United States. The crooks realized right away that if I'm wearing a mask everywhere I go there's no camera that knows who I am I can walk into any store and steal whatever I want and walk out and that's what they're doing.

(Youtube link removed)

Well, I guess it could be that...or, at least as likely....that the Government has announced that they essentially don't prosecute for shoplifting if the total of the amount stolen is $950, or less.

So, let's see...do I attribute it to the masks which were everywhere and did not increase shoplifting across the board...

Or, do I attribute it to not prosecuting shoplifting....

I'm going to use some of the logic that I, personally, learned in Kindergarten...which is not to say anything about your logic or schooling...and say that it's probably going to be because they essentially do not prosecute shoplifting.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
July 23rd, 2021 at 4:39:15 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
I guess this is the week from hell. Earlier today, Thursday, around noon my brother calls me who lives just down the road I can see his driveway from my driveway in the winter. He's 65 years old he tells me he can't get out of his Lazy Boy. I go down there and he's looking very strange. Got a gallon jug of water sitting next to him and I said did you drink all that water? When's the last time you were out of that chair? Yesterday he said. Oh my dear God say I, have you pissed your pants if you haven't been out of that chair in 24 hours? He says no, he hasn't urinated in two days.

Now I'm absolutely freaking out. Obviously his kidneys shut down and he doesn't even know it because he's a zombie. So he's literally dying in front of me. He wants me to help him up so he can go to his desk and work on his computer. I'm yelling at him, are you freaking insane! You probably drank 2 gallons of water in two days and haven't pissed. I'm on the phone calling 911 for the first time in my life. They were very professional and very nice. I felt like I was talking to people who you see on TV shows. Except this was real life.

The paramedics and the ambulance show up about 12 minutes later. My brother it's probably 80 lb overweight so I told them they had to send extra people so they had another vehicle with local firefighters. Oh my God, almost all episodes on TV are correct. These guys were all late 20s early 30s, in extremely good condition and they were all very good looking. I kid you not, I thought I was on a TV episode. They were extremely and I mean extremely professional and efficient. They asked my brother a bunch of questions very nicely very politely and they brought a tarp into the house and got him out of the chair on to the tarp and 6 of these guys grab the handles of the tarp and ran him out to a cart. Which wheeled him into the back on the ambulance.

He is in ICU tonight while they try and find out why his kidneys shut down. It was scary because he didn't know what was going on he did not want me to call 911 he thought he was just sick. Nobody drinks 2 gallons of water in two days without urinating. But it had screwed up his mind somehow. Now I'm just waiting to see what happens next.

With my wife's families covid crisis and now I have a family crisis the last 5 days feels like 3 weeks. I took a bunch of pics of the paramedics dealing with my brother maybe I will post on them tomorrow. I've been watching this stuff on TV since the 1980s this is the first real life experience I've had with it. The absolute shear professionalism of these people blows my mind.

I mean, you've made posts that have as much as danced on other peoples' problems, your, 'Schadenfreude,' as it were...and find ways to criticize them for having those problems in the first place.

That being the case, I don't know what you are expecting from us here.

Everyone dies sooner or later. In the case of your brother, it might be sooner. It is what it is.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
July 23rd, 2021 at 4:56:04 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Mission146
(Youtube link removed)

Well, I guess it could be that...or, at least as likely....that the Government has announced that they essentially don't prosecute for shoplifting if the total of the amount stolen is $950, or less.

It is a combination of both. The $950 limit has turned CA into a property crime free-for-all. For some reason the southwest seems to have always had more property crime than other parts of the USA. Now stores are closing and reducing hours in CA it is so bad. It could get to the point of no more self-serve for many items at this rate. All in the name of "not being mean" anymore. Remember the "NO RADIO" signs in NYC? Coming to CA!

But the masks clearly make it easier. Change clothes and come back and rob again.
The President is a fink.
July 23rd, 2021 at 5:02:39 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: AZDuffman
It is a combination of both. The $950 limit has turned CA into a property crime free-for-all. For some reason the southwest seems to have always had more property crime than other parts of the USA. Now stores are closing and reducing hours in CA it is so bad. It could get to the point of no more self-serve for many items at this rate. All in the name of "not being mean" anymore. Remember the "NO RADIO" signs in NYC? Coming to CA!

But the masks clearly make it easier. Change clothes and come back and rob again.

I don't think it's a combination of both, or if it is, the mask thing only minimally.

I might be wrong, but I want to say that criminals came up with the idea of covering their faces well-before Covid happened.

You don't really need a mask if the act is essentially being treated as not a crime to begin with.