Reopening fiasco?

July 23rd, 2021 at 5:03:35 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
They don't need a mask to shoplift, in effect, any more than I need one to go in and purchase something.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
July 23rd, 2021 at 6:02:24 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Mission146
They don't need a mask to shoplift, in effect, any more than I need one to go in and purchase something.

The mask helps because it lets you loot the same place over and over. The thing is lots of this shoplifting is OC. Items are boosted to order. Then they get sold at flea markets, trunks, or even other smaller stores.
The President is a fink.
July 23rd, 2021 at 6:13:27 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Clark County forced all *employees* to wear masks again as of midnight on July 22nd.

I was playing Pai Gow at Mandalay Bay. It was funny. Some of the pit bosses and dealers waited till exactly midnight to put their masks back on. I would have done the same thing. Such a stupid decision: vaccinated hotel employees aren’t the reason for NV’s spiking numbers...
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
July 23rd, 2021 at 6:34:47 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: AZDuffman
The mask helps because it lets you loot the same place over and over. The thing is lots of this shoplifting is OC. Items are boosted to order. Then they get sold at flea markets, trunks, or even other smaller stores.

It doesn't matter. If you're not prosecuting it, that's like saying the mask helps me go into the same store and make legal purchases over and over.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
July 23rd, 2021 at 8:02:38 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
The mask helps because it lets you loot the same place over and over.

The mask is a huge tool in this kind of crime. It makes the person anonymous from the minute they enter the store till they get back on the sidewalk and beyond. It's more psychological then anything else. If you're a criminal getting to wear a mask everywhere makes you feel almost invulnerable. Identification is your biggest fear and the mask almost wipes that out entirely. It emboldens you.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 23rd, 2021 at 8:17:18 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Okay, it's the masks.

It's not the fact that you can walk into a store, select a box of garbage bags from the shelf without paying for it, open it, choose a garbage bag, fill said garbage bag up with other items from the store, leave and literally not one single person will do anything about it.

That MUST be because of the mask. Why didn't they think of masks before?
July 23rd, 2021 at 8:53:14 AM permalink
Evenbob

That MUST be because of the mask. Why didn't they think of masks before?

You're not quite getting it. You can now walk down the street in a mask and nobody will look at you you twice. You enter the store wearing a mask and nobody even looks at you. You steal what you steal and walk down the sidewalk with it in a mask and nobody notices. You are completely anonymous. Try that before covid, try walking on the street in a group wearing masks, try entering a store with everybody wearing a mask. Get it? Got it? Goood..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 23rd, 2021 at 9:05:02 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
You're not quite getting it. You can now walk down the street in a mask and nobody will look at you you twice. You enter the store wearing a mask and nobody even looks at you. You steal what you steal and walk down the sidewalk with it in a mask and nobody notices. You are completely anonymous. Try that before covid, try walking on the street in a group wearing masks, try entering a store with everybody wearing a mask. Get it? Got it? Goood..

No, I don't get it. The thing that I don't get is that you continue to espouse the position in your posts that the masks are the main contributor and not the fact that nobody will do anything about the theft.

Your position that the total lack of reprimand is NOT the #1 cause is not only ridiculous, it's laughably ridiculous. I can't even believe I am having this conversation.

You know, when you're taking ten minutes to shoplift...because you are employing the previously unseen strategy of using a garbage bag and blatantly filling it up...because you know the cops are not going to be called and wouldn't show up even if they were...I mean, sure, maybe a mask makes it a little easier, but it's not like it's a requirement.

Here, let me ask you this question: Should other states mandate that shoplifting in the amount of $950 should not be prosecuted, yes or no? Do you think shoplifting would go up if they did mandate that, if so, why?
July 23rd, 2021 at 11:23:14 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Evenbob
Even more updates. My brother-in-law and his wife were the other two people in the van who didn't show symptoms. They are from Canada. Well the brother-in-law started showing symptoms yesterday and got tested for covid and he has it too. But it's very mild and they will let him back into Canada if he has been tested no matter what the outcome was. They can't keep him out because he's a citizen, him and his wife. They are both 73 years old. The other two sisters are still bad but they're not any worse.

The updates are just rolling in. Both people from Canada are testing positive now and they are on their way back to their home in Canada, what will happen to them there they do not know yet. The husband and the son of the sister who had it in the van have now tested positive. The brother-in-law from Canada went to his mother's nursing home on Sunday the day after the reunion and spent time with her and hugged her several times. She has now tested positive as well as five other people in the nursing home. All nursing home visits visits have been cancelled. The county health department is now involved interviewing people about everybody they've been in contact with in the last week. My wife's entire family is in utter chaos all because of this family reunion. They're being told this new variant of covid spreads with very little contact with someone who's infected. My brother is in intensive care as I reported but I won't be going to see him. I'm not leaving the house for the foreseeable future. Walmart just made a delivery today and that's all the contact I need with the outside world. This whole thing started less than a week ago and it feels like it's been a month.
July 23rd, 2021 at 11:26:52 AM permalink
Evenbob
No, I don't get it. The thing that I don't get is that you continue to espouse the position in your posts that the masks are the main contributor and not the fact that nobody will do anything about the theft.

They are not the main contributor, but they are what sent the thefts into high gear. No punishment for the crime and it has built-in anonymity because of the masks, it's better than looting during riots. You can steal with impunity because they don't know who you are and if they do catch you all you'll get is a jail record with no punishment.