Reopening fiasco?

July 23rd, 2021 at 11:54:31 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: Evenbob
Even more updates. My brother-in-law and his wife were the other two people in the van who didn't show symptoms. They are from Canada. Well the brother-in-law started showing symptoms yesterday and got tested for covid and he has it too. But it's very mild and they will let him back into Canada if he has been tested no matter what the outcome was. They can't keep him out because he's a citizen, him and his wife. They are both 73 years old. The other two sisters are still bad but they're not any worse.

Cars, bars, and SARS. 3 things that don’t go well together.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 23rd, 2021 at 12:00:13 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
They are not the main contributor, but they are what sent the thefts into high gear. No punishment for the crime and it has built-in anonymity because of the masks, it's better than looting during riots. You can steal with impunity because they don't know who you are and if they do catch you all you'll get is a jail record with no punishment.

In order to get a jail record, one first must be found guilty of something. If they are not prosecuting you, then you will not be found guilty.

We're not talking about someone palms and pockets a bottle of Ibuprofen; we're talking about garbage bags full of crap.

The cops will not appear, which assumes that the retailer even bothers to call the cops. The security staff is told to stand and do nothing about it. If an ordinary citizen unaffiliated with the retailer tries to do anything about it, and the shoplifter is harmed, then the ordinary citizen will likely face some sort of charges.

The human body can be punched, kicked, tackled, restrained, stunned and even shot, whether or not the face of that body has a mask over it. If none of those things are going to happen, and a person is compelled to blatantly steal from a retailer in the first place AND that person will not be prosecuted, then there is no incentive for them not to do it.

Like it or not, the entire criminal justice system simply relies upon the concept of reprimand, or it fails.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
July 23rd, 2021 at 12:14:57 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
The updates are just rolling in. Both people from Canada are testing positive now and they are on their way back to their home in Canada, what will happen to them there they do not know yet. The husband and the son of the sister who had it in the van have now tested positive. The brother-in-law from Canada went to his mother's nursing home on Sunday the day after the reunion and spent time with her and hugged her several times. She has now tested positive as well as five other people in the nursing home. All nursing home visits visits have been cancelled. The county health department is now involved interviewing people about everybody they've been in contact with in the last week. My wife's entire family is in utter chaos all because of this family reunion. They're being told this new variant of covid spreads with very little contact with someone who's infected. My brother is in intensive care as I reported but I won't be going to see him. I'm not leaving the house for the foreseeable future. Walmart just made a delivery today and that's all the contact I need with the outside world. This whole thing started less than a week ago and it feels like it's been a month.
Thanks for the update. I hope your brother gets better soon. I'm curious if the water consumption led to a worse condition for him. After learning that over consumption of water can kill people, my curiosity peaks when a situation like this pops up.

Have you heard of any possible diagnosis on your brother? Do you know if the gallon water jugs he was consuming were distilled water or not?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
July 23rd, 2021 at 12:46:10 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Some crazy guy from Az. migrated to stumptown recently: his mom said “He just wanted to go to Portland to start a new life. He always wanted to go where it is cooler, and he thought people in Portland were more progressive.”

So he shoplifts ( he refused to leave a market having “consumed food’' without paying for it and lay on the market’s floor), breaks a bottle to menace a cop and then gets shot in the leg by the cops for his trouble.

Our tax dollars at work, taking out the garbage.

Too bad he got shot in the leg, not the head.

Were I in charge ... never mind, I might be compared to Adolph.

article: https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/2021/07/man-shot-and-wounded-by-police-appears-in-court-on-menacing-unlawful-use-of-a-weapon-allegations.html
July 23rd, 2021 at 12:47:50 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Mission146
In order to get a jail record, one first must be found guilty of something. If they are not prosecuting you, then you will not be found guilty.

You can still be arrested and you will have an arrest record. They have not made stealing less than $950 a non crime. If you walk out of Walmart with a $700 big screen TV and a cop is sitting there in his car and employee tells him you just stole that the cop will arrest you. You act like the cop will tell the employee that every person in the store gets $950 worth of free merchandise all they have to do is put it in there car and leave. It's still a crime you can still be arrested for it. Get so many arrests and the prosecution part will change. You can't go in to Walmart everyday and steal $800 worth of stuff get arrested every time and get away with it forever
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 23rd, 2021 at 12:51:23 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: petroglyph
Thanks for the update. I hope your brother gets better soon. I'm curious if the water consumption led to a worse condition for him.

No it did not. His kidneys had probably been failing for months and they finally just gave out on him. I spoke with the hospital nurse today she said he's probably going to have to go on dialysis but they don't know much yet. He was drinking well water which he drinks every day.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 23rd, 2021 at 12:52:36 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: missedhervee
Some crazy guy from Az. migrated to stumptown recently: his mom said “He just wanted to go to Portland to start a new life. He always wanted to go where it is cooler, and he thought people in Portland were more progressive.”

So he shoplifts ( he refused to leave a market having “consumed food’' without paying for it and lay on the market’s floor), breaks a bottle to menace a cop and then gets shot in the leg by the cops for his trouble.

Our tax dollars at work, taking out the garbage.

Too bad he got shot in the leg, not the head.

Were I in charge ... never mind, I might be compared to Adolph.

article: https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/2021/07/man-shot-and-wounded-by-police-appears-in-court-on-menacing-unlawful-use-of-a-weapon-allegations.html

I mean, that's just how the whole damn thing works.

Something can work, and yet, be modified to work better. Just because it might not be optimal doesn't mean that it doesn't work at all.

Anytime there is an update on this computer, I have to click through a bunch of crap that I don't want to set up because I have no interest in it. Every time. There's no way to convince the computer that I am not interested in these particular applications.

But, I'm not going to unplug it, go outside and throw it in the woods.

I'll tell you what I'm waiting for: I'm waiting for how it's going to be institutional racism when people are dying of easily treatable infections, but cannot get any antibiotics, because every pharmacy within a thirty-mile radius of them has been shoplifted into oblivion and have all closed.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
July 23rd, 2021 at 12:54:11 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
You can still be arrested and you will have an arrest record. They have not made stealing less than $950 a non crime. If you walk out of Walmart with a $700 big screen TV and a cop is sitting there in his car and employee tells him you just stole that the cop will arrest you. You act like the cop will tell the employee that every person in the store gets $950 worth of free merchandise all they have to do is put it in there car and leave. It's still a crime you can still be arrested for it. Get so many arrests and the prosecution part will change. You can't go in to Walmart everyday and steal $800 worth of stuff get arrested every time and get away with it forever

Yes, assumes a cop is sitting right there. If a cop is sitting right there, then the mask isn't really doing a whole hell of a lot for you because the cop is going to either catch you or taze you...followed by removing the mask.
July 23rd, 2021 at 1:12:55 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
My dad had a part time job at a local dept. store in the sixties, he was a floor walk, i.e. he detected and apprehended shoplifters.

It was de ri·gueur for him to physically confront and occasionally tackle and beat up thieves in order to subdue them if they resisted.

He was a big guy and good at his job.

Nobody gave a damn about the constitutional rights of the shoplifters viz. being assaulted while being chased and apprehended, it was simply how things were done.

Not any more.

Too bad: these pukes are cruisin' for a bruisin'.
July 23rd, 2021 at 1:20:10 PM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
The updates are just rolling in....
The brother-in-law from Canada went to his mother's nursing home on Sunday the day after the reunion and spent time with her and hugged her several times. She has now tested positive as well as five other people in the nursing home

Collateral damage. There is a respectable chance that the coughing sister in law has DIRECTLY led to someone's imminent death. Certainly a fair share of severe illness and disruption. I would expect that there will be yet more news from the 70 or so at the family reunion. Oh well, nobody could have foreseen any of this

She got vaccinated weeks ago. What else was she supposed to do hide under her bed like you do?
Well, the question was asked with regard to your wife. She should maybe have avoided sitting in a crowded car with coughing sisters.
What should the coughing sister have done? Hide under her bed like I do?
My wife's entire family is in utter chaos all because of this family reunion.
Why's that then?
They're being told this new variant of covid spreads with very little contact with someone who's infected.
Who told them that? Was it on the news? or somewhere on the internet? Who didn't know that it had >1,000 the viral load of previous strains?

My brother is in intensive care as I reported but I won't be going to see him. I'm not leaving the house for the foreseeable future. Walmart just made a delivery today and that's all the contact I need with the outside world.

I hope your brother gets well soon. I hope you didn't infect him as you were helping him. Why won't you be going to see him? maybe after your period of quarantine, by which time he will hopefully be well. Or don't you believe in quarantine?
I presume that you are getting frequently tested after coming into contact with your wife?