Reopening fiasco?

Page 4 of 39<1234567>Last »
July 7th, 2021 at 10:56:39 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: missedhervee
This is just silly.

Cancel the games for 2021 and try again next year, assuming covid allows it.

This can be done as a TV event
Dont need crowds
Just the competition and results
On the music side, we call it couch tour
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 8th, 2021 at 2:51:00 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
Now Japan is saying that they might not even allow Japanese spectators into the stands so there will be no crowds at the Olympics. They started in two weeks and covid is growing so fast that the government is going to proclaim a national emergency. Athletes from some countries are testing positive. This is turning into a total fiasco. And what's driving it? Money of course. The IOC makes 75% of its income from the Olympics off of what they sell the broadcast rights for. Every country there that has a network camera crew has to pay the IOC. We're talking three to four billion dollars total. They make the rest of their money off of selling tickets but there aren't going to be any tickets this year. And if they have to cancel again there's going to be zero money for the Olympics. Billions of people watch the Olympics around the world and the networks charge a fortune for commercials. How many people will watch when there are no cheering crowds.

I do not think the cheering crowds matter much to viewers. It is mostly "golf cheers" at the games.

This is an extreme example of why any city trying to get the games is crazy. Put out all that money and the IOC takes most of the gate. It is why so many of us cheered when Chicago did not get the games.
The President is a fink.
July 8th, 2021 at 11:18:21 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
. Billions of people watch the Olympics around the world and the networks charge a fortune for commercials. How many people will watch when there are no cheering crowds.

I will, why would I care if there are fans at the site? Less distractions so hopefully the participants will be more focused.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
July 8th, 2021 at 11:25:38 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: DRich
I will, why would I care if there are fans at the site? Less distractions so hopefully the participants will be more focused.

I watch the olympics for the competition
I could care less about the fans
The reality at the Olympics
Most fans are not cheering for USA, its usually the opposite
Take one of our greatest athletes. Katie Ledecky. Her 1st gold. All of London was rooting against her because she was racing the home town favorite.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 8th, 2021 at 12:05:23 PM permalink
DRich
Quote: terapined
I watch the olympics for the competition
I could care less about the fans
The reality at the Olympics
Most fans are not cheering for USA, its usually the opposite
Take one of our greatest athletes. Katie Ledecky. Her 1st gold. All of London was rooting against her because she was racing the home town favorite.

I am not very nationalistic. I will not root for someone just because they are representing the U.S. I may have other reasons to root for a U.S. athlete, but I am just as likely rooting for whomever the underdog is.
July 8th, 2021 at 12:41:26 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: DRich
I am not very nationalistic. I will not root for someone just because.

The only Olympic event I watch is curling in the Winter Olympics because it's so dumb. I haven't watched the Olympics since probably the late 60s. To me all sports are mind blowingly stupid, professional or amateur. They bore me to tears because there is no meaning in it. One guy wins and another one doesn't, who gives a rip. How does that affect my life. Horse racing ,NASCAR, yawn. The only reason I watch golf sometimes is just to watch Tiger Woods lose. And I can't even do that anymore, he'll never play again. My wife watches the Detroit Tigers almost every game that's televised. I am soooo glad we don't live together.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 8th, 2021 at 1:25:03 PM permalink
AZDuffman
The only Olympic event I watch is curling in the Winter Olympics because it's so dumb. I haven't watched the Olympics since probably the late 60s. To me all sports are mind blowingly stupid, professional or amateur. They bore me to tears because there is no meaning in it. One guy wins and another one doesn't, who gives a rip. How does that affect my life. Horse racing ,NASCAR, yawn. The only reason I watch golf sometimes is just to watch Tiger Woods lose. And I can't even do that anymore, he'll never play again. My wife watches the Detroit Tigers almost every game that's televised. I am soooo glad we don't live together.

Olympics are such a waste of money it is amazing. Though I do kind of like by chance seeing some kind of unusual sport you never watch. But what I cannot stand is so much coverage of gymnastics in summer and figure skating in winter. I really do not consider either a "sport" as the judging is subjective not objective. Yet that is most of what you see on the main network.
The President is a fink.
July 8th, 2021 at 1:30:44 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: AZDuffman
Olympics are such a waste of money it is amazing. Though I do kind of like by chance seeing some kind of unusual sport you never watch. But what I cannot stand is so much coverage of gymnastics in summer and figure skating in winter. I really do not consider either a "sport" as the judging is objective not subjective. Yet that is most of what you see on the main network.

You got it backwards. But I get your point. Though virtually every sport has something subjective involved. Certainly any sport with a referee.
July 8th, 2021 at 1:36:37 PM permalink
DRich

I am that way with movies and TV shows. I have almost zero interest but yet I watch most sports.
July 8th, 2021 at 1:52:27 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: SOOPOO
You got it backwards. But I get your point. Though virtually every sport has something subjective involved. Certainly any sport with a referee.

Fixing the typo. What I get for posting while I work.

Subjective rulings, maybe. But at the end of a Bills game it says the score. At the end of a Pirates game there is a score. Gymnastics is a group of judges making a ruling.

In boxing you do have judges who score the fight either on merit or how they were told to score it but you can win by knockout.
The President is a fink.
Page 4 of 39<1234567>Last »