Reopening fiasco?

July 9th, 2021 at 6:20:38 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I remember EB saying it, but I also thought he might be trolling us at the time.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 9th, 2021 at 9:03:45 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: SOOPOO
Not even close to his biggest ‘changed mind’. EB admits to voting for Obama first term. .

HUH? I never denied I voted for Obama and I didn't vote for him, I voted against that piece of crap ass hat John McCain. Could not stand the man, a two-faced Democrat posing as a Republican. What a piece of work he was, made a career out of being a prisoner of war.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 9th, 2021 at 10:20:10 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Evenbob
I never watch TV anymore, I watch mostly YouTube. You watch sports because it deadens your brain, it's jerking off for the mind. It feels like you're accomplishing something but you're actually accomplishing absolutely nothing except wasting what's left of your life.

I think you are wrong on that. Sports stimulates my thinking. i believe I watch football like a football coach would. I am always questioning why a linebacker did that, why the lineman blocked inside instead of outside on that call, etc. I am probably that way because my father coached and officiated many sports. To me sports is all about strategy and not necessarily outcomes.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
July 9th, 2021 at 12:12:27 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: DRich
I I am always questioning why a linebacker did that, why the lineman blocked inside instead of outside on that call, etc.

Like I said, Sports is the jerking off for the mind. I realized it over 50 years ago when all my friends wanted to do on weekends was drink beer watch sports. I did it for a while but it bored me to tears. I realized what an absolute total waste of time it was and never looked back. Spectator sports were invented to make money, to charge people to go to the stadium and watch. Then radio and TV came along and it really took off. Sports is meaningless, it's just something to do. I would rather read a book because I might at least learn something.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 9th, 2021 at 1:04:01 PM permalink
rxwine
Like I said, Sports is the jerking off for the mind. I realized it over 50 years ago when all my friends wanted to do on weekends was drink beer watch sports. I did it for a while but it bored me to tears. I realized what an absolute total waste of time it was and never looked back. Spectator sports were invented to make money, to charge people to go to the stadium and watch. Then radio and TV came along and it really took off. Sports is meaningless, it's just something to do. I would rather read a book because I might at least learn something.

“Jerking off of the mind”. ??

Dang it, EB. Could you please write every post where something is learned. My brain is getting chaffed.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 9th, 2021 at 1:53:36 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: rxwine

Dang it, EB. Could you please write every post where something is learned.

I am here for my own edification not yours.
July 9th, 2021 at 1:54:51 PM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2

Watching sports is entertainment. I don't consider it a wast of time. I don't what to live a life without entertainment. Some fans do seem to lack perspective and moderation. Young people in particular can get too emotionally invested. Most of us outgrow that.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
July 9th, 2021 at 2:06:05 PM permalink
rxwine
:

“Practical men may despise the tales, earnest men condemn them as lies, some even consider them wicked ; one refused to write any more for a whole estate ; my best friend says they are all ' blethers.' But one man's rubbish may be another's treasure, and what is the standard of value in such a pursuit as this?”

-Hector Urquhart's introduction to 1860's Popular Tales of the West Highlands

^
July 9th, 2021 at 2:19:24 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96

Too bad, you seemingly haven't learned much of value.

I'd look for a new teacher.
July 9th, 2021 at 5:01:25 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: JimRockford
Watching sports is entertainment. I don't consider it a wast of time. I don't what to live a life without entertainment. Some fans do seem to lack perspective and moderation. Young people in particular can get too emotionally invested. Most of us outgrow that.

I agree, though I am so happy I have gotten beyond getting wrapped up in it. Used to be totally into my teams, especially the Steelers. But over the years I lost more and more interest, cannot say why. If not for legalized sports betting I might be totally tuned out. But it is great to be one of those guys who only roots for the spread.
The President is a fink.