Reopening fiasco?

July 10th, 2021 at 6:13:15 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: Evenbob
The only Olympic event I watch is curling in the Winter Olympics because it's so dumb. I haven't watched the Olympics since probably the late 60s. To me all sports are mind blowingly stupid, professional or amateur. They bore me to tears because there is no meaning in it. One guy wins and another one doesn't, who gives a rip. How does that affect my life. Horse racing ,NASCAR, yawn. The only reason I watch golf sometimes is just to watch Tiger Woods lose. And I can't even do that anymore, he'll never play again. My wife watches the Detroit Tigers almost every game that's televised. I am soooo glad we don't live together.

Curling is awesome! It's basically shuffleboard on ice, but requires a pretty high degree of precision.

How do TV shows affect your life? You watched Gilmore Girls, it would seem to me, just to have something to complain about in your posts. Could you not have read a synopsis and, almost immediately, have come to the conclusion that you wouldn't like it?

Just think of sports as a TV show and the athletes as characters. It's just entertainment, like any other form of televised entertainment...except the outcomes are less predictable than they tend to be on scripted TV.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
July 10th, 2021 at 6:16:16 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
I never watch TV anymore, I watch mostly YouTube. You watch sports because it deadens your brain, it's jerking off for the mind. It feels like you're accomplishing something but you're actually accomplishing absolutely nothing except wasting what's left of your life.

You're not jerking your mind off. You're mostly just turning your mind off and enjoying something for what it is.

Looking at your post counts, I'm going to get my advice on what is or isn't, "Wasting what's left of your life," elsewhere, thank you.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
July 10th, 2021 at 6:16:22 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Mission146
Why is everyone so desperate to categorize people as, "Far Left," or, "Far Right."

Missedhervee is clearly a mostly socially liberal and economically conservative Libertarian. How can someone so economically conservative be considered, by anyone, to be, "Far Left?"

Seriously, do you not read any of his posts? He's probably to my right on economic issues.

He is not far off of center on econ I will give you that. But most of the opinions EB posts are more social, so that is where I am coming from.
The President is a fink.
July 10th, 2021 at 6:21:30 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: petroglyph
Sports are for kids. Armchair QB's should get off their butts and organize or help local youth get active and learn to have fun being physically active.

Or at least that's how I see it.

Who says they don't?

One of my good friends is a M.S. History teacher, athletic director and 8th grade team coach. We discuss strategy and player strengths and weaknesses all the time, break down plays and I keep the scoreboard for the home games. I'd probably be even more active with the team if I still lived in the area, but as it stands, I drive an hour each way just to make the home games.

I can do all of this whilst still watching NFL Football.  Other football operations tend to try to avoid conflicting with NFL's schedule at pretty much any level.
July 10th, 2021 at 6:28:25 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: AZDuffman
He is not far off of center on econ I will give you that. But most of the opinions EB posts are more social, so that is where I am coming from.

That's fair on the EvenBob point, but V is still not, "Far Left," even isolating social politics. He's probably to the left of EB and yourself, but that doesn't make him Far Left.

In recent years, it's actually become more difficult to identify what policies people actually support. There have only been a few exceptions. Mostly, I can tell what party people belong to---but 90% of the conversations here are either just people paraphrasing the party line to one another or talking about how crappy the other party is.
July 10th, 2021 at 7:29:04 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Mission146
That's fair on the EvenBob point, but V is still not, "Far Left," even isolating social politics. He's probably to the left of EB and yourself, but that doesn't make him Far Left.

In recent years, it's actually become more difficult to identify what policies people actually support. There have only been a few exceptions. Mostly, I can tell what party people belong to---but 90% of the conversations here are either just people paraphrasing the party line to one another or talking about how crappy the other party is.

You seem to have forgotten the original post Mission.

Quote V:
"While you have an opinion on everything I note many if not most of your beliefs seem contrary to what most of us would consider normal or mainstream."

Pretty much puts him far to the left of EB when he characterizes his post as not normal. The problem is that everyone takes their view as center so far left and far right are mostly subjective.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
July 10th, 2021 at 8:18:20 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: kenarman
You seem to have forgotten the original post Mission.

Quote V:
"While you have an opinion on everything I note many if not most of your beliefs seem contrary to what most of us would consider normal or mainstream."

Pretty much puts him far to the left of EB when he characterizes his post as not normal. The problem is that everyone takes their view as center so far left and far right are mostly subjective.

I don't even know to what degree V was talking about EB's political views. There was nothing (in my opinion) particularly political about the post to which V was responding, so the characterization of V as, 'Far Left,' seemed a bit out of left field.

Mr V can correct me if I'm wrong, but if I had to summarize my take on his politics in one sentence, it would be:

I don't really care what you do in life as long as you are generally productive and generally law-abiding.

Anyway, if I'm feeling charitable, then I'd best describe EB's posts as, "Challenging convention." If not feeling charitable, I'd describe many of them as, "Intentionally contrarian and often to an absurd degree."

That said, I'd be surprised if anyone here has any views that are 100%, 'Mainstream,' or, 'Normal.' We've been BSing with each other for a long time, mostly. I guess we get a kick out of arguing with one another and often talking past one another. I'm definitely an odd duck, in many ways.
July 10th, 2021 at 8:54:45 AM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
Like I said, Sports is the jerking off for the mind. I realized it over 50 years ago when all my friends wanted to do on weekends was drink beer watch sports. I did it for a while but it bored me to tears. I realized what an absolute total waste of time it was and never looked back. Spectator sports were invented to make money, to charge people to go to the stadium and watch. Then radio and TV came along and it really took off. Sports is meaningless, it's just something to do. I would rather read a book because I might at least learn something.

One of the few EB posts I can relate to.

It can be really difficult being a man and not at all into sports.

“How bout them Eagles” has to be the lowest form of conversation next to the weather.

I can’t tell you how many coworkers have tried to make sports small talk with me. When I say I don’t watch sports they get the biggest frown on their face and walk away.
July 10th, 2021 at 9:04:57 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: missedhervee

I sometimes have to wonder at your level of education: did you finish high school?

Yup, college too. Maybe you'll join the thousands
who got covee that are vaccinated. Big surprise
For them, huh. LOL, that's not supposed to happen.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 10th, 2021 at 9:07:36 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I find the biggest baseball fans are heavy into stats possibly more than watching grass on the field grow. But every sport, I've gone to in person, I've enjoyed much more than watching on TV even if I don't follow the sport.

And um, I don't really follow any sport that closely. I watched a lot more tennis when I was playing tennis. But I didn't watch basketball when I played basketball.
I enjoy the Olympics regardless of the activity involved. Some better than other though.

I say EB wastes more time than anyone else around here on the boards. He's got no room to complain about anyone else.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?