Is Portland over?

August 15th, 2021 at 4:18:42 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
The aftermath of BLM / Antifa in Portland: armed guards / private security to help prevent shootings.

Gee, maybe if they weren't trying to defund and emasculate the police ...

https://www.wweek.com/news/courts/2021/08/11/old-town-clubs-reopen-amid-gunfireand-ex-soldiers-stationed-in-the-street/
August 20th, 2021 at 12:13:50 PM permalink
missedhervee
Let's Get Ready To Rumble!

Excellent!

Proud Boys and antifa slated to duke it out again on the streets of Portland this Sunday.

see: blood on the streets
August 22nd, 2021 at 2:36:55 PM permalink
missedhervee
Livestream of Proud Boys rally in Portland today (live):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1ov4IQEEUM
August 22nd, 2021 at 3:26:48 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: missedhervee
Livestream of Proud Boys rally in Portland today (live):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1ov4IQEEUM

Portland Police are saying they will do nothing to interfere. What are they paid for, exactly..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 22nd, 2021 at 4:04:11 PM permalink
missedhervee
The Portland police are conservatives who believe in doing it old school.

The mayor / commissioner of police is a libtard whom the police loathe and despise.

He prevented the police from cracking down on antifa, which led to the near-destruction of parts of downtown Portland.
September 9th, 2021 at 11:59:17 AM permalink
missedhervee
There are several colleges and universities in Portland; two of the most liberal / left-leaning are Reed College and Portland State University.

I have long believed that PSU is a recruiting ground for antifa, a puppy factory producing flea-bitten anti-capitalist anarchists.

Looks like I could have been right.

Read about a PSU prof who resigned in disgust over the prevalent academic culture there of intolerance for any opinion other than the prevailing one.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9969771/Portland-State-philosophy-prof-quits-public-letter-calling-school-Social-Justice-factory.html
September 9th, 2021 at 12:10:35 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
There are several colleges and universities in Portland; two of the most liberal / left-leaning are Reed College and Portland State University.

I have long believed that PSU is a recruiting ground for antifa, a puppy factory producing flea-bitten anti-capitalist anarchists.

Looks like I could have been right.

Read about a PSU prof who resigned in disgust. with the prevalent academic culture there of intolerance for any opinion other than the prevailing one.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9969771/Portland-State-philosophy-prof-quits-public-letter-calling-school-Social-Justice-factory.html

I've long since given up on the entire West Coast. I'm sorry you went to bed one night and woke up in a different country the following morning, but I guess that's just the state of affairs out there. Ideologues sure do hate being challenged, especially by people who can present reasonable counter-positions. They don't seem to mind being challenged so much when they can handpick opponents with truly, "Out there," ideas, or reasonable ideas that they can't articulate particularly well.

But, yeah, California...Washington...Oregon, United States in name and Federal Government representation only. You should get the hell out of there, really, if you can do so easily enough.

This is why the entire Far Left is a joke anymore. They know their ideas are mostly barely defensible garbage, so they create, 'Cancel Culture,' of one variety, or another, so they don't have to undergo the trauma associated with (GASP!) actually talking to someone who doesn't believe exactly what you (claim) to and having to hear their ideas, or worse, having to articulate a reason for believing what you do over-and-above just being able to tightly paraphrase whatever garbage you were told by your Sociology professor.

Oh well, he resigned, so it's not like they fired him. At least there's that.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
September 9th, 2021 at 12:19:49 PM permalink
missedhervee
Quote: Mission146
You should get the hell out of there, really, if you can do so easily enough.

If I fly out I'll be embarking from the best airport in the country.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/worlds-best/airports-domestic?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=social-share-article

Portland still has lots of attractions, other than its populace.
September 9th, 2021 at 12:20:53 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
If I fly out I'll be embarking from the best airport in the country.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/worlds-best/airports-domestic?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=social-share-article

Portland still has lots of attractions, other than its populace.

Cool. I'll take your word for it. Its populace can keep them.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
September 9th, 2021 at 12:37:54 PM permalink
missedhervee
It depends on what you want.

Me, I'm a homebody: I like the wide variety of shopping, dining, entertainment and services readily available as well as the lack of sales tax.

The city and surrounding area are easy on the eyes, indeed in many ways it is stunningly beautiful here, at least when compared to the NYC / Philadelphia area I grew up in.

Here's an example of having the best of things:

My son and his wife own an open bow family boat; they use it a lot and used to trailer it.

Two years ago he started mooring it for the summer season at a really nice marina on the Columbia River; it is located no more than two miles from his home, and they use it near-daily in the summer, typically hanging out on the sandy beach there..

Often they use the boat to travel to Government Island in the middle of the river where there are facilities for docking, coooking and camping.

It's a big island with a surprising amount of wildlife: his wife says one night she got out of the tent and a deer with a nice rack was outside their tent.

They swim in the river as unlike many rivers near American cities it is not too polluted to swim in.

When they're not boating they take their overland-equipped Toyota 2Runner with custom trailer to the mountains and camp out in luxury; they especially enjoy camping at or near the snow line at Mt. St. Helens.

So no, Portland ain't all bad: just a lot of the locals are misguided zealots.