Is Portland over?

Page 3 of 45<123456>Last »
July 9th, 2021 at 8:58:10 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Evenbob
...Street people are the reason I left Santa Barbara. Beautiful city and to see these people being tolerated just because they didn't want to get a job finally got to me and I left. I don't feel sorry for Portland. When squatters try to take over your house you forcibly remove them, you don't give them their own bedroom. You made this problem Portland, now you can live with it.
Even in the 80's, driving bucket trucks through town, when we'd stop at a light the hookers would jump up on the running boards and try to sell. Work any underground downtown, pandhandlers are nagging the crews for "spare change".

The alcoves for the old store fronts every morning even then, had street washers hose out the entryways every morning because thats where the bums would crap. They'd get in the alcove and drop trou while protected on 3 sides with rain cover and pooh. If the washers didn't hose out the alcoves customers wouldn't step over poop to come in.

"City of Roses"
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
July 9th, 2021 at 10:12:25 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: petroglyph
The alcoves for the old store fronts every morning even then, had street washers hose out the entryways every morning because thats where the bums would crap. They'd get in the alcove and drop trou while protected on 3 sides with rain cover and pooh. If the washers didn't hose out the alcoves customers wouldn't step over poop to come in."

Like I said it was a hole even 30 years ago. If they were truly homeless because they lost their homes or their jobs I would feel differently. Three and a half years of dealing with these people every single day and getting to know them I never met a single one that was on the street because he didn't want to be. He wanted to be exactly where he was trying to get something for nothing and scamming the system. Screw them. They think they are super smart and jobs are for suckers, I heard it again and again. I remember them talking about places like Seattle and Portland 40 years ago. They were constantly on the move in between all the liberal cities.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 9th, 2021 at 11:45:14 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: Evenbob
Like I said it was a hole even 30 years ago.

Baloney.

Stumptown was a truly great American city until things started going downhill a few years ago.

BLM and antifa simply iced the cake.

How can you possibly cosider it "a hole" thirty years ago, at least when compared to other cities?

Yeah, right: worse than Gary, or Cleveland, or Newark, or Camden?
July 10th, 2021 at 2:02:24 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
The people re-elected Wheeler in Nov. 2020. This is obviously what they want. They deserve everything they're getting.

"In Many Cities In America, The Criminals Are Starting To Gain Firm Control Of The Streets"- Zero Hedge
July 10th, 2021 at 4:23:42 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Tanko
The people re-elected Wheeler in Nov. 2020. This is obviously what they want. They deserve everything they're getting.

Totally true. They would rather live with the homeless in charge than have dem wascally wepublicans running things!

Half of this board probably does not remember the 70s. I was just a little kid. But back then most of the big cities had become unlivable. In the early 90s things started to change. Now it is back to the same habits that let them get to that nadir back then. I almost think some of it is intentional to stop gentrification.
The President is a fink.
July 10th, 2021 at 9:32:41 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: missedhervee
Baloney.

Stumptown was a truly great American city until things started going downhill a few years ago.

A 'few' years ago? In the 80's shopkeepers
had to sweep the human crap out of their
doorways every morning and you think
that's a great place to live? I wonder what
you would consider a dump if you think
a stinkhole like Portland is great.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 10th, 2021 at 10:00:18 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Downtown Portland seemed fine when I visited in 96. Didn't even notice any bummage. Lots of hippy dippy stuff and shops as George Carlin would say.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 10th, 2021 at 10:12:28 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Speaking of politics, it wouldn't surprise me if a large portion of our nation's anarchists have migrated there over the last year looking forward to the new form of no government and chaos. Anyone check to see if they're having a convention? You know, f***ing too many tourists ruin the original charm of any place
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 10th, 2021 at 2:02:58 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: rxwine
Downtown Portland seemed fine when I visited in 96. Didn't even notice any bummage. .

You must have had your eyes closed cuz I saw it everywhere and that was 30 years ago. My sister moved out of Portland in the mid-90s and went to Seattle because the homeless people in Portland were driving her crazy. Seattle, that's another swell place.
July 10th, 2021 at 2:44:54 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Yes, please, do NOT move to Portland.

Nothing to see here.

Stay where you are, and if you can't stand it where you live then just stay drunk and high, it's the American Way of tolerating things.

I suspect that it is the influx of outsiders drawn to Portland's "cool factor" that are causing the problems, not the long time residents.

Many arrive here with little or nothing, fail epically, and then rage against the machine.

Idiots.
Page 3 of 45<123456>Last »