Is Portland over?

October 17th, 2021 at 10:20:39 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
The government could ensure minimum wage through the tax system. An employer would just send it to the government and then it would eventually get back to the right people. But that's totally unnecessary overhead.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 17th, 2021 at 10:20:52 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: AZDuffman
Well, then you do not understand the difference between taxes and wages. You seem upset that conservatives give more to charity than liberals. You think of conservatives as mean and greedy when neither is true. You praise people who send men to my house and take my money at the point of a gun and then say THEY helped the poor.

This is true but misleading (unless you are referencing something else). The study I often see talked about says something like Republicans donate 200 USD a year more to charities.

A more meaningful number would be percent of annual income donated to charity. If person A makes 60K a year and donates 2k to charity, and person B makes 800k a year and donates 2.2k to charity, who is really more charitable?

Also, that study (if its the one I think it probably is) includes donating to religious organizations, which does not really count in my view. Republicans also tend to be highly religious and make regular donations (tithes) to their local church or whatever religion they are.

I don't know this for sure, but if you scale it per income, and eliminate religious tithing, I have a feeling there would be a much different story told.
October 17th, 2021 at 10:22:09 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
Nope you don't understand that a dog is a dog even if someone calls it something else.

And you're the one who said, "Greed is good." The "party of mean" is still accurate.

Which means wages are wages even if you call them a tax.

Seems to me the Democrat Party is the party of mean. They are the ones who try to destroy anyone not going along with them.
The President is a fink.
October 17th, 2021 at 10:29:33 AM permalink
rxwine
Which means wages are wages even if you call them a tax.

Seems to me the Democrat Party is the party of mean. They are the ones who try to destroy anyone not going along with them.

I'm showing proof that a minimum standard of wage is set by a government, and employers are required to meet it with the appropriate money.

You're showing no proof at all.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 17th, 2021 at 10:43:26 AM permalink
AZDuffman
I'm showing proof that a minimum standard of wage is set by a government, and employers are required to meet it with the appropriate money.

You're showing no proof at all.

I do not need to show proof. A wage is not a tax. A tax is not a wage.

You are just trying to make some weird connection to blame Republicans for some people's life choices. Your time would better be spent watching football.
The President is a fink.
October 17th, 2021 at 10:56:20 AM permalink
rxwine
I do not need to show proof. A wage is not a tax. A tax is not a wage.

You are just trying to make some weird connection to blame Republicans for some people's life choices. Your time would better be spent watching football.

Of course you don't need to show any chain of logic in your answer. What's new?
October 17th, 2021 at 10:56:53 AM permalink
rxwine
How do you know I'm not watching football?
October 17th, 2021 at 11:01:40 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Of course you don't need to show any chain of logic in your answer. What's new?

You are the one making a strange connection between a wage and a tax, not me.
The President is a fink.
October 17th, 2021 at 11:14:14 AM permalink
rxwine
Assuming some employers would pay employees less if a minimum wage didn't apply, then anything above that would be considered by them to be some sort of unearned fee. Since the government is requiring it, sounds like a tax not a wage.
October 17th, 2021 at 11:27:13 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Assuming some employers would pay employees less if a minimum wage didn't apply, then anything above that would be considered by them to be some sort of unearned fee. Since the government is requiring it, sounds like a tax not a wage.

You think it sounds like a tax?
The President is a fink.