Is Portland over?

July 12th, 2021 at 2:01:07 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Mission146
I'm basically just advocating for homeless shelters. I said, "Rooms," but I probably shouldn't have. I don't care if it's a room or not.

We have them. Here is the thing, homeless avoid them unless the weather gets really, really bad.

Quote:
I want to say that location closed pre-COVID, but I don't think it was very long before that. Like I said, the location on Wood Street (nearby) seems to be humming right along.

I probably shouldn't speculate as to why it closed. Maybe it was a franchised location and the owner just got sick of it. According to reviews I found, the service was terrible (which one should probably expect for that location) and they were frequently out of many food items.

It's important to keep in mind that a place can have a long line and not necessarily be THAT busy. It could just be that the employees sucked and were very slow. In any event, people who are working down there can almost certainly afford to eat better than McDonald's anyway...especially considering those Downtown locations aren't particularly convenient. You'll probably get food faster at a sit down restaurant.

Things happen, all Wendy's in town closed some years ago, had been there since the 70s. No matter what it would be considered a "challenging" location which might have even been corporate. It was busy as there were a ton of offices within blocks. Downtown locations are run to maximize the lunch rush. It was not at all a place good to be then, but if you work in town and are smart you learn to work around that.
The President is a fink.
July 12th, 2021 at 2:42:54 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: AZDuffman
We have them. Here is the thing, homeless avoid them unless the weather gets really, really bad.

Yeah, but I'm talking Government funded and run. Almost something like a, "Transient jail," except you can come and go as you please during most hours (and during hours you normally couldn't, you can, if you have a proof of employment) and no actual court process. You say, "Okay, if you are homeless and are in this list of Zip Codes, then you must be here between Midnight and 5:00a.m. unless no beds are available, otherwise, be subject to arrest for any manner of possible charges--depending on what you are doing."

Quote:
Things happen, all Wendy's in town closed some years ago, had been there since the 70s. No matter what it would be considered a "challenging" location which might have even been corporate. It was busy as there were a ton of offices within blocks. Downtown locations are run to maximize the lunch rush. It was not at all a place good to be then, but if you work in town and are smart you learn to work around that.

I don't know. I went to the one on Wood during Covid because I was getting something to eat for a homeless guy. It took me fifteen minutes to get in and out of there and you couldn't even eat inside at the time. It was also pretty dead also because most things were completely closed.

I mean, think about it: Who are you going to get that is actually willing to work there?
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
July 12th, 2021 at 3:15:50 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Can you imagine living in SF or LA where Target and Walgreens just closed dozens of stores because of the no prosecution for shoplifting under 900.00$ rule?
That will also condense all the bandits in the few still open stores where the non shoplifters need to acquire needed items. They will have to rub shoulders with the modern drug addled marauders on a denser basis.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
July 12th, 2021 at 3:42:45 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: petroglyph
Can you imagine living in SF or LA where Target and Walgreens just closed dozens of stores because of the no prosecution for shoplifting under 900.00$ rule?
That will also condense all the bandits in the few still open stores where the non shoplifters need to acquire needed items. They will have to rub shoulders with the modern drug addled marauders on a denser basis.

Imagine that as one of the potential risks of opening a business: The Government creating an almost impossibly stupid policy.

I’d understand no prosecution for the theft of anything under $5. Candy bars and pop prices would go WAY up in my store, or I’d just stop carrying those things.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
July 12th, 2021 at 4:08:55 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Imagine that as one of the potential risks of opening a business: The Government creating an almost impossibly stupid policy.

I’d understand no prosecution for the theft of anything under $5. Candy bars and pop prices would go WAY up in my store, or I’d just stop carrying those things.

You would probably close down, which is going to happen to lots of stores out in CA.
The President is a fink.
July 12th, 2021 at 4:22:44 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
You would probably close down, which is going to happen to lots of stores out in CA.

It’s a weird country. You won’t get any opposition from me as to this point.
July 12th, 2021 at 4:46:19 PM permalink
AZDuffman
It’s a weird country. You won’t get any opposition from me as to this point.

You are living in a weird time. Chalk a lot of these places up to my prediction of collapsing societies.
The President is a fink.
July 12th, 2021 at 6:13:07 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Society is not necessarily collapsing, at least not yet.

What you're seeing is blacks and browns and LGBT's becoming more assertive and whites pushing back.

True to form, college kids / young people support the blacks and browns and LGBT's because rebellion is "cool;" protesting also gave them an opportunity to party, mix, mingle and hook up during covid lockdown.

It may all go to hell in a hand basket, but first we'll need to lubricate the sea change with an ocean of blood in the streets.

Hmmmm ... which side deserves a bullet more ... decisions, decisions.

Tough call when you believe both sides are full of "it."

Lock and load, people ...
July 13th, 2021 at 3:37:12 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: missedhervee
Society is not necessarily collapsing, at least not yet.

What you're seeing is blacks and browns and LGBT's becoming more assertive and whites pushing back.

No, what you are seeing is collapse. We started decline about 1964. 50 years in decline started becoming collapse. BLM and ANTIFA riots are just one sign. Look at the homeless populations we are discussing here. Add in how many more people are simply incapable of survival without government propping them up. I am not talking retired people on social security, I am talking about young and able bodied people.

We are also turning into a feudal society. More and more people will be landless serfs for life. Most will be peasants, "owning" their home but little real equity. Maybe they get it paid off by retirement. Some, like me, will be low-level lords owning their own places and a rental or two. And a few "super-lords" who own many rental units with serf tenants.

Then there are other things. The declining fertility rate, fell below replacement level probably for good in the 2010s. As to the tranny movement, look at the out of balance of men pretending to be women to women pretending to be men. This shows some kind of problem, IMHO lots of men with low male hormone counts. Sperm counts are already down across society. So we have either something dietary causing this or something mental. Maybe a combination.

Enjoy the collapse, it cannot be reversed.
The President is a fink.
July 13th, 2021 at 3:52:34 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
No, what you are seeing is collapse. We started decline about 1964. 50 years in decline started becoming collapse. BLM and ANTIFA riots are just one sign. Look at the homeless populations we are discussing here. Add in how many more people are simply incapable of survival without government propping them up. I am not talking retired people on social security, I am talking about young and able bodied people.

We are also turning into a feudal society. More and more people will be landless serfs for life. Most will be peasants, "owning" their home but little real equity. Maybe they get it paid off by retirement. Some, like me, will be low-level lords owning their own places and a rental or two. And a few "super-lords" who own many rental units with serf tenants.

Then there are other things. The declining fertility rate, fell below replacement level probably for good in the 2010s. As to the tranny movement, look at the out of balance of men pretending to be women to women pretending to be men. This shows some kind of problem, IMHO lots of men with low male hormone counts. Sperm counts are already down across society. So we have either something dietary causing this or something mental. Maybe a combination.

Enjoy the collapse, it cannot be reversed.

You think the decline started the same year the Civil Rights Act was signed?