Top U.S. Catholic Church official resigns after cellphone data used to track him on Grindr

Page 1 of 61234>Last »
July 23rd, 2021 at 2:26:13 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
https://www.washingtonpost.com/religion/2021/07/20/bishop-misconduct-resign-burrill/?utm_campaign=wp_main&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0WY9mKS9rroMYAUvnR0_Jt1JlDWTusIZRqkcEJvAvvMkpXchRfxNbGCiM

Top U.S. Catholic Church official resigns after cellphone data used to track him on Grindr and to gay bars

This story is disturbing on multiple levels.
July 23rd, 2021 at 3:49:52 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
the oddsmakers are putting the chances of Bob *not* posting in this thread at a quadrillion to one against
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
July 23rd, 2021 at 3:56:29 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: odiousgambit
the oddsmakers are putting the chances of Bob *not* posting in this thread at a quadrillion to one against

Not taking the other side of that bet, I'd rather take my chances betting on professional wrestling.
The President is a fink.
July 23rd, 2021 at 4:11:52 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Pacomartin

Top U.S. Catholic Church official resigns after cellphone data used to track him on Grindr and to gay bars

This story is disturbing on multiple levels.

The problem of gay priests seems to be running so deep it may never be cleaned up. They published "the list" locally here a couple years back. My siblings and I are fairly certain one was the "favorite priest" at my parish as a kid. His ordination date mostly lines up with his age and when he was assigned. He was very personable, gave the best Homilies. Another was one my dad talked to at car cruises. He packed the house, ran one of the smallest churches around but people came for him. While I can tell you who the target boy would have been in our parish (no, not me, just say it is another story), amazing how you would not pick out the priests.

Meanwhile, my old parish closed this summer! The sign on the main road now blacked out like a store that went out of business. I heard the were down to just the pastor from 3.5 priests in my day (we imported one from some other place for Sunday) and that he did the typical "we do it my way now that I am here!" thing that people do from a new pastor to the new manager at the office which was driving people away.

To see such a parish decline that way boggles the mind. Closest I can compare it to would be how dominant Sears was in the 1980s same as that parish was then. When the founding priest died at his funeral there was probably more lets call it "church royalty" in that church than at the Vatican for that hour.

I look for it all to be converted to suburban apartments, maybe the church itself into yet another former church brewpub.
The President is a fink.
July 24th, 2021 at 1:06:15 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Bob saw my wisecrack and so he's not posting

I have mixed feelings, I could care less about Roman Catholic problems in one way, realize though that they need to root out the misbehaving gays, and find it totally 'just wrong' that there was a way to get such private information on the sly

As for gay priests generally, I would hope such people would be celibate, but I have to wonder if that isn't what has proved to be rare. It may even be rare that they don't molest youngsters.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
July 24th, 2021 at 1:13:57 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
"your rod and your staff, they comfort me."

Egad.
July 24th, 2021 at 3:32:50 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Looks like god and what was probably sincere sounding repentance when caught has not been effective concerning the sexual abuse scandals in the Catholic Church. I'm sure that's what probably happened when they actually got pass the complete denial of it happening at all.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 24th, 2021 at 4:33:55 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Wait a minute ...

If priests are god's representatives on earth, does that mean god likes to cornhole young boys?

WTF kind of religion are these fools buying into, anyway?
July 24th, 2021 at 4:53:17 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
I can't read the OP link because it's behind a paywall, but what I found in another news story which must be the same individual, is that he "resigned" after data collection by the Church showed he was on Gridnr and GPS trackers on his phone showed him to go to LGBTQ bars late at night.

The only thing "disturbing" that I see is how much the Church tracks its clergy in their personal time.... If he had any normal job nothing about this would not be an issue, let alone an intentional news story....

The guy did nothing illegal (U.S. law not Cannon law).... And, he certainly did nothing wrong in any normal sense of the word.

It just shows how insecure religions are of the feel the need to so controlling over the personal times of their clergy....

The guy used dating apps and went to a bar? They did not even "catch" him doing something against their rules, just thought it was likley....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9808301/Top-Catholic-Church-official-resigns-caught-using-Grindr-going-LGBTQ-bars.html
July 25th, 2021 at 1:35:59 AM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11
Quote: AZDuffman
The problem of gay priests seems to be running so deep it may never be cleaned up

Am I the only one that sees the problem in that sentence?

What shall we have next?

The problem of gays...
The problem of priests...
The problem of blacks...
The problem of women...
The problem of poor people...
The problem of Muslims...
The problem of Jews...
The problem of Christians...
The problem of atheists...
The problem of liberals...
The problem of conservatives...
The problem of [insert any group that you think needs to be extinguished]

I assert that there is no inherent 'problem with gay priests'. Oh there has always been a tendency for somewhat more gay men to join the catholic church and there has often been abuse perpetrated by that grouping. I'm not denying that.

But being a gay priest does not slot them all into the 'gay priest child abuser' category any more that being born male slots a person into the 'wife abusing rapist' category
Page 1 of 61234>Last »