Olympics 2021

July 27th, 2021 at 7:26:40 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: terapined
My problem with it is that she took up a valuable spot

True 'dat.

But I am certain she didn't know until the time of the competition that her head was a bit spun.

The media made her out as the marquee figure of the games; hello, massive pressure.

She sensed / knew she just wasn't up for it and made what must have been the most difficult call of her life.

I hope she returns to the individual events Thursday as she is the best in the world, perhaps the best ever, and it will be her final shot at redemption.
July 27th, 2021 at 7:35:21 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: terapined
My problem with it is that she took up a valuable spot

If she wasn’t on the team from the get go, they would have had no chance at gold. She’s carried the USA girls team for 8 years now.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
July 28th, 2021 at 3:00:38 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: missedhervee
True 'dat.

But I am certain she didn't know until the time of the competition that her head was a bit spun.

The media made her out as the marquee figure of the games; hello, massive pressure.

She sensed / knew she just wasn't up for it and made what must have been the most difficult call of her life.

I hope she returns to the individual events Thursday as she is the best in the world, perhaps the best ever, and it will be her final shot at redemption.

History will forget it all, some of us barely noticed much less care in the present.
The President is a fink.
July 30th, 2021 at 12:36:14 PM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: AZDuffman
History will forget it all, some of us barely noticed much less care in the present.

I disagree. I remember Olympic moments from my childhood through Rio. In Tokyo, I have seen some remarkable performances in swimming, but it's hard to say if any of them will be memorable. Track and field hasn't started yet.

I can state categorically though that I will always remember when the best woman gymnast ever went to the biggest stage in her prime and got the yips. That story will stick.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
July 30th, 2021 at 12:49:54 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I tried to watch some of the swimming competition last night and I just fast forward to the end to see who won. Why would I want to watch 7 Minutes of people swimming back and forth in a pool 15 seconds of it looks like every other 15 seconds.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 30th, 2021 at 1:51:14 PM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: Evenbob
I tried to watch some of the swimming competition last night and I just fast forward to the end to see who won. Why would I want to watch 7 Minutes of people swimming back and forth in a pool 15 seconds of it looks like every other 15 seconds.

You clearly would NOT like to watch it because you don't like sports. I find it entertaining to watch how the race develops. There is plenty going on during that 7 minutes.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
July 30th, 2021 at 5:18:14 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Watching this little girl is amazing. Think of all the time it took her to get this good. This is not sports this is performance art. Big difference

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 30th, 2021 at 6:50:45 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Evenbob
Watching this little girl is amazing. Think of all the time it took her to get this good. This is not sports this is performance art. Big difference

Finally, an EB youtube link I am willing to click on!

That uneven bars routine was amazing.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
July 30th, 2021 at 7:45:51 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: JimRockford
I disagree. I remember Olympic moments from my childhood through Rio. In Tokyo, I have seen some remarkable performances in swimming, but it's hard to say if any of them will be memorable. Track and field hasn't started yet.

I agree
I remember great performances from 1972 onward when I became a huge sports fan
Every Olympics has some really memorable moments
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 30th, 2021 at 8:11:37 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I'm watching some runners in track & field. They just said it's a pleasant 91 degrees with 72% humidity.

Days like that, I'd be lucky if I wasn't blinded by my own sweat.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?