Man of Steel

Page 2 of 2<12
October 30th, 2013 at 11:40:27 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob
They still have events for that silly movie SiT every year at the Grand Hotel on Mackinaw Island.

Yvette Mimieux was age 18 in the original Time Machine in 1960. So nearly every time travel movie has a romantic interest.

But this idea of manipulating time travel almost entirely around pursuing a love interest, just won't die. About Time is being released this weekend.

I wonder if SiT was the first movie where the motivation of time travel was the love interest.
October 30th, 2013 at 11:48:49 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
So nearly every time travel movie has a romantic interest.

As opposed to, say, all other movies? ;P

Still, in Back to the Future, the love interest is external to the main character, but even mroe pressing to him. That's a nice twist.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 30th, 2013 at 1:12:46 PM permalink
Pacomartin
"Somewhere in Time", "Butterfly Effect", "The Lake House", "Kate & Leopold", and more or less "Peggy Sue got Married" were all films where the romance drives the time travel.

Incidentally, they are making another Austin Powers movie. It's kind of romantic as he gets to shag Elizabeth Hurley.
October 30th, 2013 at 2:35:29 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Pacomartin
"Somewhere in Time", "Butterfly Effect", "The Lake House", "Kate & Leopold", and more or less "Peggy Sue got Married" were all films where the romance drives the time travel.

Groundhog Day. Time travel? The time travel drives the romance.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 30th, 2013 at 3:09:18 PM permalink
Nareed
Come now. The "romantic interest" is part of the movie formula. To single out time travel movies as either having it or having it drive the plot, ignores litreally thousands of other different movies (Titanic, anyone? Every romantic comedy ever made? Any movie with Gwyneth Paltrow in it?)
October 30th, 2013 at 5:28:18 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I don't remember much about it, but the TV show "Time Tunnel" probably had a fair number of plots with no romance involved. Does that count?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 30th, 2013 at 6:19:22 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: rxwine
I don't remember much about it, but the TV show "Time Tunnel" probably had a fair number of plots with no romance involved. Does that count?

I used to watch it assiduously when I was a child. I even remember the trhill when they finally re-ran the pilot episode (I think it involved the Titanic). But upon watching it years later, it just seemed cheesy, dated and very, very shallow.

Curiously I dind't like the original start Trek back then, but watching it later I found it rather good (I still think TNG is the best, though)
October 30th, 2013 at 11:02:26 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Certainly Captain Kirk's great love, played by Joan Collins in "The City on the Edge of Forever" was in a time travelling episode. I think that stories where the romance develops naturally out of the time travel are some of the best, and in this case the time travel is also the direct cause of the tragedy.

I disliked heavily romantic films with a twisted time travel logic to support a love affair.
Page 2 of 2<12