Firearms w.o. Face

September 7th, 2021 at 4:39:39 PM permalink
JCW09
Threads: 12
The 6+1 capacity puts it in the back up gun category for me & I don't carry a BUG.
10+1 is the minimum that I feel comfortable having in a defensive encounter.
I carry 12+1 with an additional 17 round mag as back up.
The chance I will re-load in a private defensive encounter is low,
but there is a high degree of comfort having 30 rounds onboard.
If I can't solve the problem in 30 rounds, that is probably on me.
Your house/nightstand pistol should have a light mounted on it IMHO.
A handheld LED flashlight sitting at the ready next to the pistol is an option, but means one hand off the pistol to operate the light.
Get a pistol with an light rail for the home/night gun, identify your target and what is beyond it before you squeeze the trigger.
And make that home gun a 15+1 or 17+1, those home invaders usually don't come alone.
Def. of Liar - "A Person Who Tells Lies" / "I lied. Deal with it" - ams288
September 7th, 2021 at 5:14:12 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: JCW09

And make that home gun a 15+1 or 17+1, those home invaders usually don't come alone.

I'm old school. You can't hit what you're aiming at with the first two shots you don't deserve to have a gun. You're a danger to yourself and others. I have lots of handguns, including a 357 which I haven't fired in 10 years. It weighs over 3 lb loaded and would probably break my wrist if I fired it today. Ridiculous gun and I should just sell it. There's no way Dirty Harry walked around with three pounds in a shoulder holster all day long.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 7th, 2021 at 6:58:27 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: JCW09
The 6+1 capacity puts it in the back up gun category for me & I don't carry a BUG.
10+1 is the minimum that I feel comfortable having in a defensive encounter.
I carry 12+1 with an additional 17 round mag as back up.
The chance I will re-load in a private defensive encounter is low,
but there is a high degree of comfort having 30 rounds onboard.
If I can't solve the problem in 30 rounds, that is probably on me.
Your house/nightstand pistol should have a light mounted on it IMHO.
A handheld LED flashlight sitting at the ready next to the pistol is an option, but means one hand off the pistol to operate the light.
Get a pistol with an light rail for the home/night gun, identify your target and what is beyond it before you squeeze the trigger.

A single shot is fine for me. I will not miss and if there is more than one I will get them lined up so my one shot takes care of all of them.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 8th, 2021 at 6:24:55 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
What you also need at night is some assurance you will wake up before someone can sneak into your bedroom. DeAngelo was very successful at catching people asleep in their beds. He even had his dog with him. And then he would wake them with his own flashlight blinding them. By then it's too late unless you're asleep with the gun in your hand.

Joseph James DeAngelo Jr. (born November 8, 1945) is an American serial killer, serial rapist, burglar, and former police officer who committed at least 13 murders, 50 rapes, and 120 burglaries across California between 1974 and 1986.[4][5][6]
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 8th, 2021 at 10:37:08 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: DRich
A single shot is fine for me. I will not miss and if there is more than one I will get them lined up so my one shot takes care of all of them.

You'd also have been a more fun Suicide Squad character.

Well, maybe not more fun than Will Smith.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
September 8th, 2021 at 10:47:11 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
What you also need at night is some assurance you will wake up before someone can sneak into your bedroom.

You mean like my bedroom door being locked from the inside?
Good luck getting in without making a lot of noise. They would
literally have to tear the door off to get into my bedroom because
.of the kind of lock I use. It cannot be opened from the other side
without a crowbar.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 8th, 2021 at 11:10:19 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: Evenbob
And there is no hair trigger BS, you have to fully pull the trigger
all the way back for it to fire. But the trigger pulls very smoothly
and easily so you don't notice it .Even though it has no safety it's
a very safe gun. It's impossible for it to be fired unless you fully
intend to fire it.

I have never liked those Glock style trigger safeties. I cannot envision anything accidentally pulling back the trigger without also depressing that little tab. I wonder if that device has ever prevented an accidental discharge.

Don't get me wrong, the firing pin block, the drop safety and the long heavy trigger pull make the Nano a very safe weapon. However if you taped that trigger safety down, I don't think the gun is any less safe.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
September 8th, 2021 at 1:20:38 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: JimRockford
I have never liked those Glock style trigger safeties. I cannot envision anything accidentally pulling back the trigger without also depressing that little tab. I wonder if that device has ever prevented an accidental discharge.

Don't get me wrong, the firing pin block, the drop safety and the long heavy trigger pull make the Nano a very safe weapon. However if you taped that trigger safety down, I don't think the gun is any less safe.
I'd have to believe I was in imminent danger for me to have a cartridge in the chamber. If I'm about to shoot it for some other reason of course I chamber a round. When I put a gun away, I check that there is nothing in the chamber, even when I know there is nothing in the chamber.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
September 8th, 2021 at 1:48:41 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
In 2017, over half of the nation's 47,173 suicides involved a firearm.

The U.S. Department of Justice reports that about 60% of all adult firearm deaths are by suicide, 61% more than deaths by homicide.
September 8th, 2021 at 2:05:17 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: missedhervee
In 2017, over half of the nation's 47,173 suicides involved a firearm.

The U.S. Department of Justice reports that about 60% of all adult firearm deaths are by suicide, 61% more than deaths by homicide.

That number is not meaningless but it is without much context because we don't really have a good idea of how many suicides would not have occurred without weapons being available. I am sure the number is above 0% but I am unsure how much above. If we compare to Australia, a country without as many firearms (like supposedly close to none...), our rate is less than 33% higher than theirs per 100k...16.1 vs. 12.5. I don't think there are a lot of guns in Japan, and their rate is 15.3 per 100k--not far from ours at all...

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/suicide-rate-by-country

I don't discount that firearms may make it "easier", I am just not sure how many people who have decided to commit suicide and are committed to the decision don't do it because they can't find a gun.

I am against suicide; it is horrible for everyone involved. A dead person and a family to pick up the awful pieces the act leaves behind. I am for finding ways to reduce suicide.