Abortion

Page 1 of 3123>
September 2nd, 2021 at 1:23:22 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Hard to balance the recent USSC decision about abortion in Texas with its prior holdingin another famous Texas case, Roe V. Wade.

Roe held that during a pregnant woman's first trimester, a state cannot regulate abortion beyond requiring that the procedure be performed by a licensed doctor in medically safe conditions.

The legislation recently passed by the Trumpies in Texas eviscerated this, and the USSC refuses to strike it down.

I see trouble brewing ... and a strong possibility of blood on the streets in the future.

*sips popcorn, pets cat, waits patiently*
September 2nd, 2021 at 2:01:45 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: missedhervee
Hard to balance the recent USSC decision about abortion in Texas with its prior holdingin another famous Texas case, Roe V. Wade.

Roe held that during a pregnant woman's first trimester, a state cannot regulate abortion beyond requiring that the procedure be performed by a licensed doctor in medically safe conditions.

The legislation recently passed by the Trumpies in Texas eviscerated this, and the USSC refuses to strike it down.

I see trouble brewing ... and a strong possibility of blood on the streets in the future.

*sips popcorn, pets cat, waits patiently*

I'm shocked
Especially the bounties. Are Supreme Court approved stonings next?
WTF
Religious zealots on the court
Sucks
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 2nd, 2021 at 2:56:51 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
I guess we don't have to wait for the Taliban, we already have our own religious extremists in the desert.

What a shame, I actually enjoy Texas....

Though on a serious note, the strangest thing is that this is only enforceable through civil action (if I read it correctly, granted I have not done much research other than a few mainstream news articles), this is what makes zero sense to me?

Let's grant for thought-experiment sake that abortion is murder? The state cannot compel people to stop, but you (as any random person) can maybe sue them or the people who aided them if you find out (you don't need any direct connection)?
Even assuming this is to solve a real problem (it is not), the enforcement mechanism makes no sense at all? Especially for something that is ethically equivalent to murder (in their eyes)?

You have said that you are a family attorney, how can this actually play out? This seems odd and unique?
September 3rd, 2021 at 8:09:18 AM permalink
terapined
TX may have jumped the shark for the republican party
Americans overwhelming support abortion by about 69%
Nobody really thought a state would actually ban abortions
The TX law does not even take into account rape or incest
Now that banning abortion is becoming a reality , even in cases of rape and incest
Republicans may find it harder to get elected
A lot of women are 1 issue voters and this is the issue they care about.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 3rd, 2021 at 10:18:53 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: terapined
TX may have jumped the shark for the republican party
Americans overwhelming support abortion by about 69%
Nobody really thought a state would actually ban abortions
The TX law does not even take into account rape or incest
Now that banning abortion is becoming a reality , even in cases of rape and incest
Republicans may find it harder to get elected
A lot of women are 1 issue voters and this is the issue they care about.

I am too old to have to worry about abortion personally, my guess is that this will change again in the next few years.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 3rd, 2021 at 10:32:11 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: DRich
I am too old to have to worry about abortion personally, my guess is that this will change again in the next few years.

The real problem is that there is no uniform law in the country regarding abortion
Therefore all anti abortion laws target the poor
Rich TX women can simply travel out of state to get an abortion
Unless the TX bounty system can also target TX citizens getting an abortion out of state
That would be incredibly chilling
September 3rd, 2021 at 12:12:20 PM permalink
missedhervee
September 3rd, 2021 at 12:21:11 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
There may be an out.

Find a way for the woman to induce a miscarriage without being detected.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 3rd, 2021 at 1:14:09 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: missedhervee

Its insanity
Religious zealots are so livid they are willing to legislate medical decisions
They are so angry, they dont trust the medical profession
They want judges and the legislature making medical decisions instead of Doctors
shocking
September 3rd, 2021 at 1:36:01 PM permalink
missedhervee
In their defense, they genuinely seem to believe that a human life starts at conception.

Were that the case then yes, abortion would be a form of homicide.

When does a human life begin?

That is not solely a medical question, there are social, cultural and political facets to it as well.

As we have seen for a long time now there is no quick, final answer to the question: the position at any moment depends on the political make up and religious beliefs of the judges hearing abortion cases.
Page 1 of 3123>