Abortion

Page 2 of 3<123>
September 3rd, 2021 at 2:20:45 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: missedhervee
In their defense, they genuinely seem to believe that a human life starts at conception.

If thats their religious belief, then ban abortions for christians
Religious laws should not apply to atheists.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 3rd, 2021 at 2:48:40 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Sorry, I cannot accept that line of reasoning.

Were legal standards to be set based solely on the beliefs of a group, then it could be legal to allow cannibalism, or pedophilia, or even the adopition in America of sharia law.

There will always be fringe groups clamouring to have their beliefs accepted by the mainstream: gotta be on guard for them.
September 6th, 2021 at 7:07:43 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
My personal view…. I am 100% in favor of a woman’s right to have an abortion.

I am also open to the thought that there are reasonable people that are 100% opposed to my stance.

We, in our society, elect representatives who make laws. We have a system which has judges who interpret them. The people of Texas have elected officials who want to limit a woman’s right to an abortion. The duly appointed Supreme Court justices apparently are not going to overrule Texas. Fortunately, there is no requirement for anyone unhappy with the laws of Texas to live in Texas! They have two choices…. elect representatives who will change the law, or move to any of the other 49 states that doesn’t have the law.

Wife has a (crazy) anti-vaxxer Trumper friend who bitches about every new liberal/progressive law the Democrats have passed in NY. She realizes that option two is not practicable in NY. So she has chosen option 1. She is in Texas now closing on a house!

I kind of agree with Ed on the political result of this restrictive new law…. I think it will backfire on the Republicans.
September 6th, 2021 at 7:18:28 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: SOOPOO
My personal view…. I am 100% in favor of a woman’s right to have an abortion.

I am also open to the thought that there are reasonable people that are 100% opposed to my stance.

We, in our society, elect representatives who make laws. We have a system which has judges who interpret them. The people of Texas have elected officials who want to limit a woman’s right to an abortion. The duly appointed Supreme Court justices apparently are not going to overrule Texas. Fortunately, there is no requirement for anyone unhappy with the laws of Texas to live in Texas! They have two choices…. elect representatives who will change the law, or move to any of the other 49 states that doesn’t have the law.

Wife has a (crazy) anti-vaxxer Trumper friend who bitches about every new liberal/progressive law the Democrats have passed in NY. She realizes that option two is not practicable in NY. So she has chosen option 1. She is in Texas now closing on a house!

I kind of agree with Ed on the political result of this restrictive new law…. I think it will backfire on the Republicans.

I agree with the premise that you can limit a constitutional right under safety concerns, like "not yelling fire" when there is none. But not this. It's also why I support some gun restrictions.

Though I think that having a requirement that a provider be near a medical center to do abortions is completely bogus, it is at least a law pretending to be about safety concerns, where is this is a complete runaround sham.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 6th, 2021 at 9:11:53 AM permalink
missedhervee
Backlash: City of Portland to vote on whether to continue to do business with / travel to Texas due to controversial abortion law.

https://www.opb.org/article/2021/09/03/texas-abortion-law-portland-city-council-trade-travel-ban/

Oh yeah, that'll hurt ... not ...

Just a sop, a wringing of hands by the liberals running stumptown.
September 6th, 2021 at 9:20:30 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Backlash: City of Portland to vote on whether to continue to do business with / travel to Texas due to controversial abortion law.

https://www.opb.org/article/2021/09/03/texas-abortion-law-portland-city-council-trade-travel-ban/

Oh yeah, that'll hurt ... not ...

Just a sop, a wringing of hands by the liberals running stumptown.

I don't have a huge problem with that, if that is what their local population votes on. (I would have a problem if they say people from Texas cannot have conferences in or visit Portland). But, they have the right to have their city spend local tax money how they want.

But, really what needs to happens (and what was successful in other Southern States), is large companies need to boycott or leave (MLB, Movie Studios, large tech companies). A lot of large tech companies are moving to TX from CA for financial reasons. If this trend start reversing, I have a feeling Republicans will care (because at the end of the day they seem more concerned about upsetting big business even if it means sacrificing their beliefs). This has been the case in other states regarding social issues. Of course it also comes down to if companies care more about short term good PR or taking a financial hit.
September 6th, 2021 at 10:33:33 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: SOOPOO
\The duly appointed Supreme Court justices apparently are not going to overrule Texas.
For now. They aren't going to be able to avoid the avalanche that is coming, I think.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
September 6th, 2021 at 10:39:24 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: odiousgambit
For now. They aren't going to be able to avoid the avalanche that is coming, I think.

I agree
I think the law is unconstitutional
It was not acted on due to a technicality
Whoever brought the case did not have enough standing
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 6th, 2021 at 3:01:06 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

Yeah, like Texas wants those loons visiting.
The President is a fink.
September 7th, 2021 at 5:52:20 PM permalink
missedhervee
Quote: AZDuffman
Yeah, like Texas wants those loons visiting.

They want their money, and now they ain't gettin' it.

Stupid redncek christian idiots.
Page 2 of 3<123>