Seattle: Only EV's allowed downtown

September 15th, 2021 at 7:05:07 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

The City of Seattle paid to develop this EV prototype in 1976. They had this crazy idea that they could ban gasoline engines in the downtown and just have EVs.
September 15th, 2021 at 7:11:40 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Pacomartin

The City of Seattle paid to develop this EV prototype in 1976. They had this crazy idea that they could ban gasoline engines in the downtown and just have EVs.

Their downtown is horrible to drive around
Too crowded
Too many cars
Too little parking and what there is is expensive
I just left this morning, thank goodness
1st pic closest lot
2nd pic what I paid 8 blocks away. Reflection is me

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 15th, 2021 at 7:12:51 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
What is considered Seattle downtown where gas is banned? My guess is a few blocks. At the most a square mile (and that is being very liberal).

If the goal is to make a more pedestrian friendly downtown in the short term, this is not the worst idea in the world. Some cities already have similar things (even if it is not some arbitrary restriction like the type of engine). Its also a great way to boost public transit.
September 15th, 2021 at 7:58:51 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Gandler
If the goal is to make a more pedestrian friendly downtown in the short term, this is not the worst idea in the world. Some cities already have similar things (even if it is not some arbitrary restriction like the type of engine). Its also a great way to boost public transit.

The takeaway is that this plan to use EVs was put in place in 1976 when the idea of . I'm not saying it is a bad dream. Many cities in Europe and in Mexico and Canada are thriving because of their gasoline free zones. I am just saying it is a very old dream.

San Jose is now 116,100 acres, Seattle is 91,200 acres, and San Francisco is 30,000 acres. Possibly all three of these cities will have a significant percentage off limits to gasoline vehicles by 2030.