The Top Paid Government Employees

Page 1 of 41234>
October 24th, 2021 at 10:23:01 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
(Yes I know this is in "Sports", there is a reason for that).

So long story short I ended up on govsalaries.com for some comparisons (its a site that lets you compare base salary of virtually every government employee (State, Federal, County, Local, School Districts, Elected, etc... virtually everyone).

However, I recently discovered (this morning) on the home page if you scroll to the bottom there is some "top 10 lists" including "top 10 salaries".

You may think top 10 and assume that all of them are high elected positions (Governors, Mayors of wealthy cities, maybe Judges etc...), no all are State Employees of various States. You next assumption is "okay they probably have some high level State job like experienced civil engineer overseeing the whole State, or some kind of research scientist at a State lab".
Well, no, they are all Specifically State College/University employees. High level professors? President of the University? Researcher? No.

They are all Football coaches. As far as I can tell, the only government employees that make seven figure salaries at any level are Sports-related positions at State Universities. I find this utterly insane.

Number 1 is : "Nick Saban L in 2018 was employed in University of Alabama and had a reported pay of $8,888,684 according to public records. This pay is 16,617 percent higher than average and 22,505 percent higher than median salary in University of Alabama. " (And bear in mind this is base salary, not benefits, bonuses, overtime, etc...) This makes him the fifth highest paid Football Coach in the world (only 4 NFL coaches earn more than him), and he is paid by the State of Alabama.
https://govsalaries.com/saban-nick-l-4139038

Numbe 2 is : "Kirby Smart P in 2018 was employed in University Of Georgia and had a reported pay of $6,425,000 according to public records. This pay is 17,976 percent higher than average and 27,940 percent higher than median salary in University Of Georgia. " He is paid by the State of GA.
https://govsalaries.com/smart-kirby-p-18689812

I am not a sports person, and I know that at Private Universities it is well known that Sports related people are the top paid, I find this sad (well more than sad, irresponsible), but if that is what a Private University wants to spend money on I really don't care (same reason I don't care about NFL salaries). But, if the top 10 paid government employees are Football coaches, and going further down, all of the tops are sports related people (again really anyone in the seven figure range or close to it is a sports related employee). I find this utterly insane. I find this most offensive at UGA, because I like UGA, and there are endless great programs, but 6 million could fund a lot of professors and great programs (and that is just the one salary, there are other sports related positions with obscene salaries just at that university).

My view is States should not be spending any money on Sports, but certainly not to this scale. People are obsessed with UGA Football, there would probably be an endless line who would do that job for free (and before people say, well yes but they won't be a historic and legendary coach, I would say 1. Who cares. 2. College Sports players don't get paid and are often regarded as the best). I don't see why States are willing to spend this kind of money on coaches for sports that do not matter, but would never dream of hiring a PhD/MD for 8 million (or even close to it) to lead a research team on something that would save lives.

(Edit: I know I said "Football Coaches" in the top 10, which most are, but there is at least one basketball coach and one athletic director as well, same principle sports related positions).
October 24th, 2021 at 10:27:17 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
What's irresponsible? How much is the Alabama Crimson Tide Football Team bringing in to the University in profits? That's legitimately a question, because I have no idea, but I would think it's much more than Saban makes.

According to this:

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2020/01/alabama-athletics-lost-money-in-2019-but-it-comes-with-a-catch.html

Alabama football more than covers its expenses.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
October 24th, 2021 at 10:40:01 AM permalink
Gandler
Quote: Mission146
What's irresponsible? How much is the Alabama Crimson Tide Football Team bringing in to the University in profits? That's legitimately a question, because I have no idea, but I would think it's much more than Saban makes.

According to this:

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2020/01/alabama-athletics-lost-money-in-2019-but-it-comes-with-a-catch.html

Should he make more than the vast majority of NFL coaches?

Would they make less revenue if they lost him or even had a volunteer coaching staff?

Should the top paid government employees be State employees who have sport-related job titles?

I don't doubt Football makes colleges money (though I think that creates bad incentives), but it just seems like wasted positions.

I would be much happier if a State really has to pay college employees seven figures that it would go to some famed global researcher, who would lead a project, but that would not be exciting to the public because nobody would know anything about it for years or decades. It seems like wasted opportunity to me. I say this as somebody who despises sports (and football is probably the worst) so I have a bias, but you will never hear me complain about Sport salaries in private leagues because I don't care, but government salaries and positions is a different story.
October 24th, 2021 at 11:08:52 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Gandler

You may think top 10 and assume that all of them are high elected positions (Governors, Mayors of wealthy cities, maybe Judges etc...), no all are State Employees of various States. You next assumption is "okay they probably have some high level State job like experienced civil engineer overseeing the whole State, or some kind of research scientist at a State lab".
Well, no, they are all Specifically State College/University employees. High level professors? President of the University? Researcher? No.

They are all Football coaches. As far as I can tell, the only government employees that make seven figure salaries at any level are Sports-related positions at State Universities. I find this utterly insane.

I thought this was common knowledge
I've always known the highest paid state employees are coaches
I'm not surprised
College sports are some of the biggest businesses in some states
Thats why I was thrilled to see Rolovich and his assistants fired
Those assistants made 6 figure salary and of course Rolovich was the highest paid state employee with a 7 figure salary
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 24th, 2021 at 11:22:22 AM permalink
Gandler
Quote: terapined
I thought this was common knowledge
I've always known the highest paid state employees are coaches
I'm not surprised
College sports are some of the biggest businesses in some states
Thats why I was thrilled to see Rolovich and his assistants fired
Those assistants made 6 figure salary and of course Rolovich was the highest paid state employee with a 7 figure salary

It may be my bubble. But, I did not realize the extent. I found it pretty shocking that any state employee makes seven figures let alone sports people....

Most University Presidents are lucky if they are close to the mid six figures, and you would think they would be the top paid in the University by a wide margin (like the CEOs are in most companies). And, they virtually always have impressive academic backgrounds.
October 24th, 2021 at 12:43:19 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14

According to this:

Would they make less revenue if they lost him or even had a volunteer coaching staff?

Should the top paid government employees be State employees who have sport-related job titles?

I don't doubt Football makes colleges money (though I think that creates bad incentives), but it just seems like wasted positions.

I would be much happier if a State really has to pay college employees seven figures that it would go to some famed global researcher, who would lead a project, but that would not be exciting to the public because nobody would know anything about it for years or decades. It seems like wasted opportunity to me. I say this as somebody who despises sports (and football is probably the worst) so I have a bias, but you will never hear me complain about Sport salaries in private leagues because I don't care, but government salaries and positions is a different story.

The football teams of the big Universities carry the sports programs for the whole school including subsidizing all the women's teams and usually have money left to support general revenue. The alumni donations are often dependent on how good the football team is doing. Learn to look a little closer grasshopper when something at first glance seems off.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
October 24th, 2021 at 1:58:02 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator

I have no idea what he, 'Should,' make or whether or not him to NFL coaches is a valid comparison. My guess is 'Bama pays him pursuant to their perception of his value and NFL owners pay their coaches accordingly, as well. He certainly has more success at the college level than any coach at the NFL level not named, "Bill Belichick."

As long as the football team is bringing profits to the University (and they are, massively), then I don't see any irresponsibility in paying Saban whatever it takes for him to stay.

Now, if you want to suggest that Saban shouldn't be demanding that much money, maybe I could get behind that.

You damn right they'd make less revenue. Let them go 3-9 and see what happens the year after that. You don't pack the stadium by having a mediocre year and playing in the LuLuLemon Self-Expression Bowl.

Anyway, the team's either making money or it isn't. If you want to make cuts, maybe cut one of the sports that the football team is supporting that otherwise would lose money.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
October 24th, 2021 at 2:02:57 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: kenarman

The football teams of the big Universities carry the sports programs for the whole school including subsidizing all the women's teams and usually have money left to support general revenue. The alumni donations are often dependent on how good the football team is doing. Learn to look a little closer grasshopper when something at first glance seems off.

And most of the Men's teams, in fairness. Basketball was barely profitable for them in 2019 and every single other sport lost money.
October 24th, 2021 at 7:00:13 PM permalink
Gandler
I have no idea what he, 'Should,' make or whether or not him to NFL coaches is a valid comparison. My guess is 'Bama pays him pursuant to their perception of his value and NFL owners pay their coaches accordingly, as well. He certainly has more success at the college level than any coach at the NFL level not named, "Bill Belichick."

As long as the football team is bringing profits to the University (and they are, massively), then I don't see any irresponsibility in paying Saban whatever it takes for him to stay.

Now, if you want to suggest that Saban shouldn't be demanding that much money, maybe I could get behind that.

You damn right they'd make less revenue. Let them go 3-9 and see what happens the year after that. You don't pack the stadium by having a mediocre year and playing in the LuLuLemon Self-Expression Bowl.

Anyway, the team's either making money or it isn't. If you want to make cuts, maybe cut one of the sports that the football team is supporting that otherwise would lose money.

Oh don't get me wrong I support cutting all sports (at public universities and High schools for that matter).

But, I doubt a specific coach can have a massive influence on revenue.

But, I just will never buy that a coach should make more than professors. Especially by an insane margin (they are not just making slightly more).

Even in High Schools this is often the case (to a much smaller extent), because "coaches" are generally the Gym Teachers, so gym teachers generally end up being the top paid teacher because they get multiple salaries. (coaching multiple sports and their standard teacher salary which is the same for gym teachers as Chemistry Teachers). It places the priorities in the complete wrong place. And, yes I know (in most States) techically any teacher can apply to be a coach (but it usually goes to the Gym teacher).
October 24th, 2021 at 7:48:58 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
This is a simple one. You identify an employee (Head Coach) that you want for your school (or pro team) and you offer him a contract that you hope he will find acceptable and sign. I can’t think of anything less relevant than what the Anesthesiology Professor at Alabama’s medical school makes. If Alabama somehow was able to void Nick Saban’s contract, I’d surmise another college would be happy to pay him. It’s called a free market.
Page 1 of 41234>