Maternity/Paternity Leave

Page 1 of 81234>Last »
November 2nd, 2021 at 11:26:43 AM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
Pete Buttigeig recently took paternity leave and conservative pundits are losing their mind.

Joe Rogan: https://www.reddit.com/r/JoeRogan/comments/qh46qd/joes_thoughts_on_paternity_leave/
Joe Lonsdale: https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/new-dads-are-losers-if-they-take-6-months-paternity-leave-prominent-venture-capitalist-says-1.5642763
Tucker Carlson: https://thehill.com/homenews/media/576920-tucker-carlson-mocks-buttigieg-over-paternity-leave

Neither paternity or materiality leave are legally mandated in the US. Here is the rest of the world:

Speaking personally, both my wife and I work cushy corporate jobs. She works for a large European company and gets 12 months!!! Paid maternity leave. I believe I get 3 months paternity leave at my job.

What is your opinion on maternity and paternity leave?
November 2nd, 2021 at 12:01:26 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: gamerfreak
Pete Buttigeig recently took paternity leave and conservative pundits are losing their mind.

Joe Rogan: https://www.reddit.com/r/JoeRogan/comments/qh46qd/joes_thoughts_on_paternity_leave/
Joe Lonsdale: https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/new-dads-are-losers-if-they-take-6-months-paternity-leave-prominent-venture-capitalist-says-1.5642763
Tucker Carlson: https://thehill.com/homenews/media/576920-tucker-carlson-mocks-buttigieg-over-paternity-leave

Neither paternity or materiality leave are legally mandated in the US. Here is the rest of the world:

Speaking personally, both my wife and I work cushy corporate jobs. She works for a large European company and gets 12 months!!! Paid maternity leave. I believe I get 3 months paternity leave at my job.

I think 3 months is fair
2 weeks is a blip. Not fair. This is life changing, not a vacation
A year too much
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 2nd, 2021 at 1:37:46 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: terapined

I think 3 months is fair
2 weeks is a blip. Not fair. This is life changing, not a vacation
A year too much

I agree that it is life changing, but my argument would be that it is a choice. Why not wait until you have enough vacation time saved up and then have the child? That way the employer is only giving up what he expected. BTW, I feel the same way for the mothers. If you choose to have a child it should not inconvenience your employer,
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
November 2nd, 2021 at 2:01:51 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: DRich
I agree that it is life changing, but my argument would be that it is a choice. Why not wait until you have enough vacation time saved up and then have the child? That way the employer is only giving up what he expected. BTW, I feel the same way for the mothers. If you choose to have a child it should not inconvenience your employer,

No vacation time should be used
Maternity leave is important
I never had children
Yet
I strongly feel that I should do my share to help the next generation
Most of my property tax went to education
I'm ok with that
I never used maternity leave but I was proud to work for a company that gave equal leave to Mom and Dad.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 2nd, 2021 at 2:03:24 PM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4

I have not looked up any statistics, but I would wager that 50% of US workers get no paid time off.
November 2nd, 2021 at 2:07:53 PM permalink
terapined
I have not looked up any statistics, but I would wager that 50% of US workers get no paid time off.

Dead end jobs
People can't wait to quit and get a better job
Thats another thing I liked about working for American Express
Talent retention was important management
November 2nd, 2021 at 2:35:35 PM permalink
DRich

Awesome, then they shouldn't have kids. Kids serve no purpose, neither do adults. The earth will be better when it rids itself of humans.
November 2nd, 2021 at 2:37:21 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Awesome, then they shouldn't have kids. Kids serve no purpose, neither do adults. The earth will be better when it rids itself of humans.

Just another 1000 years and it will.
The President is a fink.
November 2nd, 2021 at 2:38:08 PM permalink
DRich
Quote: AZDuffman
Just another 1000 years and it will.

Not soon enough, let's speed up the process.
November 2nd, 2021 at 7:46:03 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
I would say that a company is free to offer whatever maternity leave it wishes and, in theory, such an offering will give them the ability to attract better employees---all else being equal. That said, it's obviously going to get passed down to the consumers in end cost, so you have to be ready for that.

I'm not a fan of Government mandates for paid maternity leave beyond two weeks, if that is the question. I would say that a person's job should be considered safe for as many as three months, but in terms of paid leave, I would go two weeks for the mother only, unless the mother dies during childbirth, in which event I wouldn't have a problem with two weeks paid leave being mandated for the father.

When you get to talking about a year, that's just absurd. Could you imagine someone getting hired, working for three months, giving birth, getting a year of paid maternity leave, getting pregnant again six months after giving birth the first time, going to work for the last three months of that pregnancy, getting another full year of maternity leave, and so on? It's absurd. The employer would effectively be paying 2.5 years of salary for six months of work.

Go ahead and make it six months of paid maternity leave if you want to see prices go through the roof, but if you're going to mandate it, then you'd better do it for both fathers and mothers otherwise you've just made hiring women of child-bearing age a serious liability from the employer's perspective. Politically correct? No. The way it would be looked at by management in the real world? Yes.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
Page 1 of 81234>Last »