Maternity/Paternity Leave

Page 4 of 8<1234567>Last »
November 4th, 2021 at 8:03:34 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Yeah, I tend to agree with Kenarman that the country is a little big to go full communal.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
November 4th, 2021 at 8:04:19 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: rxwine
Believe it or not, my argument about early care for parents was made to appeal to completely selfish non-parents of the rest of the world. (below is not even talking about abusive physical type of neglect) The children become adults and live with the rest of us.

Come again? They were smart and didn't have kids, why should they be forced to help me out because I did?
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
November 4th, 2021 at 8:28:33 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Mission146
Come again? They were smart and didn't have kids, why should they be forced to help me out because I did?

Because society (may) decide it is worthwhile for society. Taxes already pay for daycare (school) for ages 5-17.

Personally, I am against government subsidized childcare. I know of many families that have gal working M-F 6a -2p, guy W-Su 3p-11p (an example) so they don’t need ‘childcare’. Each parent has plenty of time to bond with the children.

Remembering my personal situation, we decided to forgo wife’s earning potential (lawyer) so she could stay home and raise the kids without need for ‘childcare’. I made enough of course, but would have of course liked ‘more’ if my wife worked. Just it was a choice we made, and never regretted.

Of all the liberal Democrat proposals, unpaid for of course, I’d say free childcare is only moderately objectionable.
November 4th, 2021 at 8:40:18 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Mission146

I guess you don't see any direct benefit to having potentially mentally healthy people. If your wife got thrown out of her car hurt or dragged by an individual who always had trouble with interacting with people and holding a job maybe it would connect the dots for you.

I'm taking some liberties here. There's all kinds of reasons for criminal or abhorrent behavior.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 4th, 2021 at 8:41:16 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: SOOPOO
Because society (may) decide it is worthwhile for society. Taxes already pay for daycare (school) for ages 5-17.

Personally, I am against government subsidized childcare. I know of many families that have gal working M-F 6a -2p, guy W-Su 3p-11p (an example) so they don’t need ‘childcare’. Each parent has plenty of time to bond with the children.

Remembering my personal situation, we decided to forgo wife’s earning potential (lawyer) so she could stay home and raise the kids without need for ‘childcare’. I made enough of course, but would have of course liked ‘more’ if my wife worked. Just it was a choice we made, and never regretted.

Of all the liberal Democrat proposals, unpaid for of course, I’d say free childcare is only moderately objectionable.

To be clear, I don't think that the Federal Government should have any part in financing public schools; mostly because, as an extension of that, it confers upon them the right to pass Legislation that would speak to how public education is conducted. If the Government did not fund public schools in any way, then the Tenth Amendment would confer upon individual states the right to decide everything about how public schools are to operate.

As far as subsidized childcare is concerned, I don't see why it can't be a state (or more local) issue to take care of. If you have a County, for instance, that wants to fund something like that by way of levy and it passes, then I don't see the problem. Private childcare companies could also be given certain tax breaks at all levels with childcare providers (individual or working for a company) being given income tax exemptions---which would theoretically reduce costs that are passed down to consumers---and that would be fine.

I imagine a levy for such a thing might not be popular for some people on here, but it's at least something where those affected get a direct vote in the matter.

I agree that free childcare is one of the less objectionable proposals.
November 4th, 2021 at 8:43:20 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I apologize for using your wife, but some of you people here express little interest in living yourself.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 4th, 2021 at 8:49:00 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: rxwine
I apologize for using your wife, but some of you people here express little interest in living yourself.

I'm divorced, but I would still prefer if such a thing didn't happen to her.

Anyway, you have to balance freedom (to the extent that we still have it) and personal choice with concerns such as these. In terms of root causes, I think the first one is that you have a country that has always attempted to kind of try to do both, which is going to result in vastly different ideologies as it becomes apparent than an increase to one is a necessary decrease to the other....and the second root cause being that we are an individualist, rather than collectivist, thinking society.

I guess, in order to change the second one, it would almost have to be done by way of the collective indoctrination education system.
November 4th, 2021 at 8:55:42 AM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
Quote: kenarman
But you are advocating that an 8 or 7.5 hr day is too strenuous for someone with a family. Okay you say the 12 hr a day person shouldn't have kids. But why should the person who wants to spend additional time with their kids expect the government to pay them to do that? Now the 12hr day person can't have kids but also needs to pay you to stay home with yours. Live the life you want but don't expect someone else to pay for it.

I don’t think I said the government should pay for anything in this thread.
November 4th, 2021 at 9:31:44 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: gamerfreak
I don’t think I said the government should pay for anything in this thread.

The biggest employer in the country by far is .gov, so you would exempt them from maternity leave rules? Their employees by and large except possibly at the higher management level work their 7.5 hr day and go home.

This is the problem with most of lefty thinking it has tunnel vision and doesn't follow things through. Don't worry the younger brain will eventually mature fully.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
November 4th, 2021 at 9:48:09 AM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
Quote: kenarman
The biggest employer in the country by far is .gov, so you would exempt them from maternity leave rules? Their employees by and large except possibly at the higher management level work their 7.5 hr day and go home.

This is the problem with most of lefty thinking it has tunnel vision and doesn't follow things through. Don't worry the younger brain will eventually mature fully.

You could make the same argument about any benefit given to govt employees.

Employees should demand adequate benefits from their employers, whether that is government or private business, including maternity/paternity leave.

I voted for Trump so I am not sure how much of a lefty that makes me.
Page 4 of 8<1234567>Last »