"My body, my choice"

Page 1 of 81234>Last »
November 8th, 2021 at 11:31:57 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
So say the feminists when arguing in favor of abortion.

So argue the anti-vaxxers.

Hell0, congruence.
November 8th, 2021 at 11:52:43 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Pregnancy is not a contagion.

At least, you can't just get it from someone sneezing in your general direction.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 8th, 2021 at 11:59:18 AM permalink
missedhervee
You're missing the point.

If your body is a temple and you believe that the gov't has no business trying to mandate your choices in that regard, then banning abortion would be equivalent with mandating vaccination.

The notion "My body, my choice" if applicable to one should logically be applicable to the other.
November 8th, 2021 at 12:11:19 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: rxwine
Pregnancy is not a contagion.

At least, you can't just get it from someone sneezing in your general direction.

Yeah, unlike a contagion, getting pregnant (generally) requires a deliberate action. I agree with MrV that, "My body, my choice," is either a principle or it isn't, (I say it is) but the Christians actually have the best of the, "This, not that," argument on this one.

Why?

Because someone being unvaccinated may get Covid, in this case, which could then cause another person to perhaps get Covid who may or may not die from it. On the other hand, an abortion most likely directly prevents a would-be human being from being born (assuming they wouldn't have died anyway) who, according to Christians, I guess is given a soul as soon as they are conceived, I don't know, Christian beliefs are stupid.

Still, in one instance you may or may not get someone sick which may or may not kill them, and in the other, you're directly preventing someone from being born. From the Christian perspective, (which, again, is a stupid and illogical perspective) there's no moral difference between terminating a fetus and killing an actual person. As far as they are concerned, a fertilized egg (conception) is no less alive than you or I are.

So...I actually have to give a slight advantage to the Christians on the, "My body, my choice," thing.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
November 8th, 2021 at 12:12:36 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: missedhervee

The notion "My body, my choice" if applicable to one should logically be applicable to the other.

If you are stupid and not a logical person, yes
If you are a logical person with some intelligence, no
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 8th, 2021 at 12:13:59 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: terapined
If you are a logical person with some intelligence, no

I don't see what would be so difficult with just admitting that the Left doesn't have any actual principles. The Right doesn't either, so it's not like Leftists are alone in that regard.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
November 8th, 2021 at 12:17:46 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
To wit, it's always, "I believe in personal choice, unless you're doing something that I don't like." Unless you're a Libertarian, of course, in which case you just believe in body autonomy regardless of what someone else is or is not doing.
November 8th, 2021 at 12:24:24 PM permalink
missedhervee
Quote: terapined

Really?

Setting aside emotion and politics, I cannot see a reasonable basis to distinguish the two.

If a person believes the gov't has no right to tell them what to put into their body (vaccine) I cannot see why the government would have the right to tell them what must come out of their body (baby).

"My body, my choice" if applicable would warrant both not taking the vaccine AND permitting a pregnant woman to choose to have an abortion.

Seems to be a bit of a "logic trap."
November 8th, 2021 at 12:31:33 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: missedhervee
You're missing the point.

If your body is a temple and you believe that the gov't has no business trying to mandate your choices in that regard, then banning abortion would be equivalent with mandating vaccination.

There’s no equivalency of the imposition on an individual of a pregnancy vs, the imposition of a vaccine unless you believe a lot of nonsense about vaccinations. Give me a better equivalency.

You can’t just say forcing someone to swallow whole a Roma tomato is the same as forcing them to swallow whole a watermelon.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 8th, 2021 at 12:58:43 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: rxwine
There’s no equivalency of the imposition on an individual of a pregnancy vs, the imposition of a vaccine unless you believe a lot of nonsense about vaccinations. Give me a better equivalency.

You can’t just say forcing someone to swallow whole a Roma tomato is the same as forcing them to swallow whole a watermelon.

The argument for forced vaccinations is, "You might get people sick, which might cause them to die."

The pro-life argument is, "You will cause this person not to be born, which according to my beliefs, is equivalent to directly killing an already born person."

That's the equivalency. From their perspective, they are being forced to make a decision because something might happen or they might acquire something and transmit it from the same people who argue for a would-be mother's ability to, from the Christian perspective, directly kill her own child.

Anyone on the Left who argues to the contrary simply wants to present the perception of consistency without actually being concerned about being consistent.

Besides, you can do everything right up to the line of Government-forced vaccinations...you just can't cross that line. Workplace vaccine requirements, for example. I honestly don't know what the left is complaining about...vaccines are, de facto, already forced in several instances.
Page 1 of 81234>Last »