"My body, my choice"

Page 5 of 8« First<2345678>
November 8th, 2021 at 3:43:01 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: kenarman
Deaths from automobiles are roughly double per capita of Covid deaths. We could make everyone safer if we banned driving, should the government mandate that? If someone is not a competent driver they are endangering everyone else. If you voluntarily chose to partake in such a dangerous act as driving should your death benefits be refused? As discussed in another thread in big cities such as New York people make a a choice not to drive. I expect that driving deaths overlay red states they way Covid does. I wonder why Terapined has voluntarily spent more than a year in such a dangerous activity and endangering others?

Well, they already prohibit people who aren’t considered competent drivers from driving.

For one, if you are over the legal BAC limit, then you’re immediately presumed to be an incompetent driver. If you can’t pass a driving test, then you’re presumed incompetent and are, therefore, not legally permitted to drive. If you can’t pass the vision test, then you are so limited until you can get corrective lenses to remedy that, and in that event, are required to wear those corrective lenses when you do drive.

Even not failing at any of those things, then you have the concept of driver’s license points, by which, if you accumulate enough points you are deemed incompetent to drive.

As far as death benefits go, I’m not aware of any law that says death benefits must be offered (from an employer) in the first place, so that being the case, an employer could have whatever restrictions on them that they wish to have.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
November 8th, 2021 at 3:48:18 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Also, except in Virginia, you must have insurance (on you, personally, or be covered by the vehicle owner’s insurance) in order to be able to drive. I guess that doesn’t have anything to do with competency, per se, but is another example of a restriction.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
November 8th, 2021 at 3:48:21 PM permalink
JCW09
Threads: 12
Quote: rxwine
...If anyone needs to be restricted unfairly, it should be people who are sick with such a disease....
Clipped for brevity

And this is the crux of the issue. You believe someone needs to be restricted unfairly.
Those on the other side of the argument do not believe anyone needs to be restricted unfairly.
We have a vaccine, when you take the vaccine your chances of a serious negative outcome are virtually zero.
Particularly if you are otherwise healthy.
If you aren't healthy and vulnerable, you are the one that should stay out of the public square
Why is that so hard to comprehend? Take care of yourself, calculate your own risks in life and adjust your behavior accordingly.
The government regulation and strong arm of the law crammed down on everyone else is not a safe society, it is a tyrannical society.

All that said, if Southwest Airlines says they want passengers to wear a mask, they are a private business, they can do what they like.
Commerce will adjust, businesses with mandates that are unpopular with some will lose that business if an alternative exists.
If there were a mask free airline, I am sure there would be plenty of vulnerable and scared customers that would not patronize it.
So be it, that is called freedom of choice to do business with whom you see fit.

Why does the Left always want to get into everyone else's business and tell them what is right for their lives.
It's why they are losing right now. The voters are waking up to the craziness that is the Left's agenda.
I grant you the Conservative Right does this with abortion & its a losing argument as well.
Be Pro Life for your own life and family and let everyone else make their own decisions until the fetus is viable.
Then the calculus changes on abortion.

But I hope the Dems keep it up. I hope they keep bringing Trump up 18 months after he left office.
keep that 1/6 Commission going, keep shouting we almost lost Democracy.
Trump & Jan 6th and White Supremacy - It's a winning message, just ask McAuliffe.
We did elect a black President twice in this unforgivingly racist country & Virginia just elected its 1st Woman of Color to office.
Where is the celebration from all those white supremacist haters?
Newflash: No one believes the BS you spill out everyday or that the Mass Media spins out on behalf of the Dems
Fool us once: "Russia Russia Russia" - Shame on you
Fool us Twice: "This country is systemically racist" - Shame on us.
Def. of Liar - "A Person Who Tells Lies" / "I lied. Deal with it" - ams288
November 8th, 2021 at 4:00:09 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: JCW09
Clipped for brevity

And this is the crux of the issue. You believe someone needs to be restricted unfairly.
Those on the other side of the argument do not believe anyone needs to be restricted unfairly.

Sure you do. Just keep increasing the lethality of a disease by 1% until you find your breaking point? You'd probably shoot them on sight if the disease was bad enough.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 8th, 2021 at 4:09:13 PM permalink
rxwine
I think most people have the same instincts. JUst triggered at different levels. One person can walk into a room and it looks clean enough. Another person can't stand it if it fails the white glove test.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 8th, 2021 at 4:38:21 PM permalink
JCW09
Quote: rxwine
Sure you do. Just keep increasing the lethality of a disease by 1% until you find your breaking point? You'd probably shoot them on sight if the disease was bad enough.

But that isn't what we are talking about with Covid or this vaccine mandate.
How about addressing the facts as they are instead of going into hyperbole.
Should the Covid Vaccine be mandatory considering healthy vaccinated individuals have less chance of death than driving a car?
Do you believe smoking tobacco should be outlawed based on the data of personal and second hand smoke damage data?
November 8th, 2021 at 6:47:57 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: JCW09
But that isn't what we are talking about with Covid or this vaccine mandate.
How about addressing the facts as they are instead of going into hyperbole.

Should the Covid Vaccine be mandatory considering healthy vaccinated individuals have less chance of death than driving a car?

One person dying in my family was enough. So yes. Still need a car, a bat, a knife to at least cut steak.

Quote:
Do you believe smoking tobacco should be outlawed based on the data of personal and second hand smoke damage data?

Why not? What good does it do?
November 8th, 2021 at 7:05:36 PM permalink
JCW09
OK RX, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
I am not willing to sacrifice another's personal freedoms because of anecdotal evidence.
The data & numbers don't lie, if you aren't already vulnerable and you get your vaccine,
you're taking no greater risk being around the un-vaxxed than driving your car, which you choose to do daily.
If you are willing to take on that risk, you don't get to deny others freedom because you are scared of an improbable Covid outcome.
Sorry to hear that a family member was lost, I lost a dear friend as well. He was 78. My guess is everyone has been impacted.
It doesn't change my opinion on what the federal or state government should do related to this Covid Pandemic.
For me and mine, the pandemic is over because I am vaccinated and otherwise healthy.
If you don't want to get vaccinated, I don't care. The un-vaxxed or the vaxxed could be potential infections vectors for me.
If I get a break through infection, the data says I'll very likely be just fine. I'll take my chances based on the available data.
I wouldn't ask another person to give up freedoms, be treated as a 2nd class citizen or be denied access to locations due to vax status.
But you can certainly argue the other side. I just don't think the majority of Americans are on your side of the argument.
November 8th, 2021 at 7:39:30 PM permalink
rxwine
If there is a more severe illness in the future, at least I won't be one of the ones flip flopping their position. Maybe you won't, but some on your side of the issue will stop considering mandatory vaccinations so abominable.

My position is more consistent. Again there is a cost benefit analysis to most of the other things you suggest. If a car was useless enough, but still dangerous it would be in the same category as to why are they allowed, killing the drivers and the rest of us.

But you're right, we will disagree. That's not been a problem.
November 8th, 2021 at 7:57:44 PM permalink
rxwine
The case for banning smoking just about everywhere could be entirely based on your premise that by being around someone smoking you're being forced to violate "your body, your choice" unless you don't need to breathe. Because it's entering your body, just not by needle.

And if smoking was curing cancer instead of causing it, I'd be for mandatory smoking.

BTW, how does everyone feel about having your water system fluoridated without your consent? Do you remember signing anything? 69% of the country gets fluoridated water. Most may not even know it. Of course, bottled water has become more popular.
Page 5 of 8« First<2345678>