Paula Deen

Page 1 of 3123>
June 21st, 2013 at 10:32:20 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
I was thinking about PD today. I am of the age and I lived up north that I didn't use the n-word growing up. But I did use the word "homo" and "moe" when I was a kid in the 1960's. I didn't even think about it as negative or hurtful, since I was basically talking about some kind of sick people that my mother warned me about.

Honestly, I don't remember any open discussion about homosexuals until I went to college. Particularly with the work of Harry Kondolean , who was two years older than me, and my professors thought was the most talented student at the school.
June 22nd, 2013 at 6:57:28 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
If this is just about using a slur, heaven help us. I don't know many people who haven't used a racial or sexual slur in their entire lives. That is a very high standard to maintain.

I need to find out more about the lawsuit that is mentioned in some stories. The issue may be less a matter of slurs muttered years ago than about working conditions more recently. That would be a larger issue.
June 22nd, 2013 at 1:01:40 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I really can't stand that cow and her mush mouth
accent. Good riddance.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 22nd, 2013 at 3:54:16 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Kind of ironic that this is what it took to get rid her. She always seemed like such a phoney to me.

Oh, since I don't get People magazine [for example] and don't keep up with such gossip, I had to figure out what you guys were talking about! As usual, Wikipedia is very good for current events, so I thank them.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 22nd, 2013 at 7:17:16 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Shudder...

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 22nd, 2013 at 9:42:01 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: odiousgambit
Oh, since I don't get People magazine [for example] and don't keep up with such gossip, I had to figure out what you guys were talking about! As usual, Wikipedia is very good for current events, so I thank them.

We're not really digging for gossip here. Some of these stories hit you if you open a browser or look at a newspaper. Actually, I do just the opposite. I refuse to even read these stories, but eventually you see them so many times that you break down.
June 24th, 2013 at 12:05:28 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Athletes and movie stars are often in the position of having lucrative contracts that contain a "morals escape clause" which lets the athlete or star get booted at a low price if they get involved in some scandal.
So did somebody at the Food Network want to get rid of her and figure a few lawsuits and well coordinated media leaks might help?

I mean, aint nobody really cares 'bout no epithets... people care about assets. Somewhere someone is making money by getting rid of her. Stock options? Vulnerable restaurant? Lop off the figurehead and all you got is a restaurant like any other joint. Is Food Network going to prosper now? Did someone loathe her?

Heck, somewhere someone is making money on this stuff or it wouldn't have happened.
June 24th, 2013 at 2:22:34 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Fleastiff
So did somebody at the Food Network want to get rid of her and figure a few lawsuits and well coordinated media leaks might help?

I wonder if someone figured that "Two and a Half Men" had a few good years left in it, if they could simply cut out back Charlie Sheen's $40 million salary to Ashton Kutcher's $24 million salary.

I wonder if he always behaved that way, or just suddenly everyone stopped covering for him?

In 2010, Angus Jones became the highest paid child star in television at the age of 17 when his new contract with Two and a Half Men guaranteed him $300,000 for each of the 26 episodes.

While he may have genuine philosophical problems with the show, I am sure that they were happy to replace him for someone at a fraction of the price.
June 25th, 2013 at 12:30:04 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Pacomartin
I wonder if someone figured that "Two and a Half Men" had a few good years left in it, if they could simply cut out back Charlie Sheen's $40 million salary to Ashton Kutcher's $24 million salary.
I wonder if he always behaved that way, or just suddenly everyone stopped covering for him?
I do not know, but I suspect he always behaved in a consistent manner and that it would only take a critical few to alter their behavior toward him to create a media frenzy.

Quote: Pacomartin

In 2010, Angus Jones became the highest paid child star in television at the age of 17 when his new contract with Two and a Half Men guaranteed him $300,000 for each of the 26 episodes.
While he may have genuine philosophical problems with the show, I am sure that they were happy to replace him for someone at a fraction of the price.
I don't know. Never heard of him, but 300,000 is fairly low.
June 25th, 2013 at 7:29:56 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Fleastiff
I don't know. Never heard of him, but 300,000 is fairly low.

That is $300,000 per episode. Times 23 episodes is $7.8 million per season. For the same two seasons on TV, the three principal actors on THE BIG BANG THEORY were paid $250,000 and then $300,000 per episode.

But Angus T Jones was getting that money for a relatively small part in the show.

Conchata Ferrell who plays "Berta the Maid" often has just as big of a role, and she was getting paid half as much.
Page 1 of 3123>