Remote kill switch

Page 1 of 41234>
December 26th, 2021 at 8:26:02 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Anyone who has ever looked at a video of a car chase has wondered about the possibility of a "remote kill switch". The police just simply throw a switch and the car slows down until the police can aprehend the suspect.

But the potential remains limitless. Breathalyzers could be part of everyday driving experience for everyone, Perhaps coupled with autonomous softward, the car could still drive you if you are too drunk to drive yourself (probably at very slow speed). Your car might analyze your eye movements and determine if you are too sleepy to drive. Or facial recognition would allow the police to make it easier to apprehend wanted people by denying them access to cars.

Supposedly the Build Back Better Act has a clause requiring manufacturers to add a "remote kill switch" in five years. Rules as to who or what can use this switch are yet to be determined.

Is this a long overdue safety measure, or are we slipping down a dangerous road?
December 27th, 2021 at 4:01:16 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Pacomartin
Anyone who has ever looked at a video of a car chase has wondered about the possibility of a "remote kill switch". The police just simply throw a switch and the car slows down until the police can aprehend the suspect.

But the potential remains limitless. Breathalyzers could be part of everyday driving experience for everyone, Perhaps coupled with autonomous softward, the car could still drive you if you are too drunk to drive yourself (probably at very slow speed). Your car might analyze your eye movements and determine if you are too sleepy to drive. Or facial recognition would allow the police to make it easier to apprehend wanted people by denying them access to cars.

Supposedly the Build Back Better Act has a clause requiring manufacturers to add a "remote kill switch" in five years. Rules as to who or what can use this switch are yet to be determined.

Is this a long overdue safety measure, or are we slipping down a dangerous road?

The infrastructure bill has a provision for breathalyzers in all cars. You voted for Big Brother, you got it! Kill switches are among the last things I want. Something to be hacked, no thanks.

I do not see it a good thing for cars to be able to drive people unable to take over. I can see many, many problems there.
The President is a fink.
December 27th, 2021 at 7:13:49 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Pacomartin

Kill switches would be a ridiculous over reach by big brother. With hacking everybody would have access to them in short order. Mechanics would be shutting down vehicles and charging to fix the vehicle. A person fleeing for their life would be shut down by the criminals. A suddenly stalled car in the fast lane of the freeway is a a safety feature? We would have to take them off of the blacks vehicles because they were used more often against them and thus racist. Tunnel vision running rampant among the libbies again.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
December 27th, 2021 at 7:28:15 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: kenarman
Tunnel vision running rampant among the libbies again.

?????????
The left is not for kill switches
Most probably haven't even thought about it
I'm certainly against
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 27th, 2021 at 7:51:14 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
There used to be a really good show called "Bait Car", and it was quite old (I think early 2000s) where the police would plant a car in high crime areas and somebody would steal it, they would wait for it to be on a public road and then kill the engine (I think it also locked the doors). So, this has been around for at least quite a few years. Now these are cars specifically designed for police to use for this purpose (to catch car thieves), in very controlled environments, I don't know if it's a great idea for this to be in every car. But, it does go to your point of how much easier car chases are if the cars can be shut off and locked at any point.
December 27th, 2021 at 7:57:18 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: terapined
?????????
The left is not for kill switches
Most probably haven't even thought about it
I'm certainly against

Oh I guess it accidentally got into Biden's bill.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
December 27th, 2021 at 8:03:33 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: Gandler
There used to be a really good show called "Bait Car", and it was quite old (I think early 2000s) where the police would plant a car in high crime areas and somebody would steal it, they would wait for it to be on a public road and then kill the engine (I think it also locked the doors). So, this has been around for at least quite a few years. Now these are cars specifically designed for police to use for this purpose (to catch car thieves), in very controlled environments, I don't know if it's a great idea for this to be in every car. But, it does go to your point of how much easier car chases are if the cars can be shut off and locked at any point.

Doesn't OnStar, or some similar service, also have this sort of remote access?

Personally, I'm obviously not inclined to give the Government access to shutting cars off anytime they feel like it.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
December 27th, 2021 at 8:11:11 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Mission146
Doesn't OnStar, or some similar service, also have this sort of remote access?

Personally, I'm obviously not inclined to give the Government access to shutting cars off anytime they feel like it.

I am not sure, I have never have had Onstar, but it would not surprise me if they offer something like this. I could even see merit in an owner having a kill switch feature if they live in a high crime area.

But, I agree that it probably should not be installed in all cars (I don't know the details of this bill, so there could be a valid reason).
December 27th, 2021 at 8:13:30 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: kenarman
Oh I guess it accidentally got into Biden's bill.

Was it actually in the bill?

Paco’s original post: “Supposedly the Build Back Better Act has a clause requiring manufacturers to add a "remote kill switch" in five years.”

“Supposedly” doing a lot of work there…
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
December 27th, 2021 at 8:29:29 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: ams288
“Supposedly” doing a lot of work there…

I didn't research it because Bob Barr said the clause was very short and distressing low on details.
https://dailycaller.com/2021/11/29/barr-bidens-infrastructure-bill-contains-backdoor-kill-switch-for-cars/
Page 1 of 41234>