Remote kill switch

Page 2 of 4<1234>
December 27th, 2021 at 8:34:01 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Pacomartin
I didn't research it because Bob Barr said the clause was very short and distressing low on details.
https://dailycaller.com/2021/11/29/barr-bidens-infrastructure-bill-contains-backdoor-kill-switch-for-cars/

So it wasn’t actually in the bill. A short Daily Caller opinion piece does nothing to convince me.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
December 27th, 2021 at 8:40:07 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: ams288
So it wasn’t actually in the bill. A short Daily Caller opinion piece does nothing to convince me.

Daily Caller, is it? I didn't even need to read beyond, "Bob Barr said."
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
December 27th, 2021 at 8:49:08 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: kenarman
Kill switches would be a ridiculous over reach by big brother. With hacking everybody would have access to them in short order. Mechanics would be shutting down vehicles and charging to fix the vehicle. A person fleeing for their life would be shut down by the criminals. A suddenly stalled car in the fast lane of the freeway is a a safety feature? We would have to take them off of the blacks vehicles because they were used more often against them and thus racist. Tunnel vision running rampant among the libbies again.

You're 6 years too late about the hacking part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK0SrxBC1xs
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 27th, 2021 at 12:11:01 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
I mean its kind of suspicious that none of the articles link to the actual text. The (proposed) bill is online, this seems like the kind of thing that can be linked.

For example, when I made a thread on the nicotine tax aspects, and my issues with them, I linked the exact section:
https://rules.house.gov/sites/democrats.rules.house.gov/files/BILLS-117HR5376RH-RCP117-18.pdf
(which most mainstream articles cited)

(I just did a control F for "Kill Switch" and nothing came up, I am sure if it is in there, there would be more technical language used). And, it seems every article I can find just cites "Bob Barr said it", instead of the actual section, kind if strange, since its not like this is a document that is hidden from public view.... Why not just cite the section? (Though why would the article use literal quotes around "Vehicle Kill Switch", if that is not the language used in the bill?)

To be honest this makes me pretty unconvinced that it is even in there.

https://dailycaller.com/2021/11/29/barr-bidens-infrastructure-bill-contains-backdoor-kill-switch-for-cars/
December 27th, 2021 at 12:14:08 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Gandler
I mean its kind of suspicious that none of the articles link to the actual text. The (proposed) bill is online, this seems like the kind of thing that can be linked.

For example, when I made a thread on the nicotine tax aspects, and my issues with them, I linked the exact section:
https://rules.house.gov/sites/democrats.rules.house.gov/files/BILLS-117HR5376RH-RCP117-18.pdf
(which most mainstream articles cited)

(I just did a control F for "Kill Switch" and nothing came up, I am sure if it is in there, there would be more technical language used). And, it seems every article I can find just cites "Bob Barr said it", instead of the actual section, kind if strange, since its not like this is a document that is hidden from public view.... Why not just cite the section? (Though why would the article use literal quotes around "Vehicle Kill Switch", if that is not the language used in the bill?)

To be honest this makes me pretty unconvinced that it is even in there.

2021: BBB will lead to kill switches in cars.

2009: Obamacare will lead to death panels for grandma!

Both statements are equally true.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
December 27th, 2021 at 2:25:11 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Gandler
I mean its kind of suspicious that none of the articles link to the actual text. The (proposed) bill is online, this seems like the kind of thing that can be linked. For example, when I made a thread on the nicotine tax aspects, and my issues with them,
(I just did a control F for "Kill Switch" and nothing came up, I am sure if it is in there, there would be more technical language used).

It has been my experience with the press that they are very lazy, and it is sufficient for them to cite someone's claim and they don't investigate beyond that.
In other words stating "the infrastructure bill contains backdoor kill switch for cars" is unethical, but "Bill Bar says the infrastructure bill contains backdoor kill switch for cars" is perfectly ethical.

My guess is that it is the Infrastructure Bill and not the Build Back Better Act and Barr is referring to the phrase "advanced technologies present on motor vehicles".

Quote: page 972 of 2702 of Infrastructure Bill
A State may use a grant received under this subsection to make data program improvements to core highway safety databases relating to quantifiable, measurable progress in any significant data program attribute described in paragraph (3)(B), including through—
(H) supporting reporting criteria relating to emerging topics, including—
(i) impaired driving as a result of drug, alcohol, or polysubstance consumption; and
(ii) advanced technologies present on motor vehicles;
December 27th, 2021 at 5:21:15 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Not to tip toe too far astray, but on the subject of kill switches...

Anyone have a suggestion for how to best create and install a DIY kill switch to prevent vehicle theft?

I've googled a bit, seen several suggestions, but am wondering if anyone here came up with a working method?

FWIW my '01 Ford F-250 Super Duty was stolen twice this year: that's two times too many.

Bonus points for link to a schematic or YouTube video explaining the method, thanks.
December 28th, 2021 at 2:52:21 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: missedhervee

Anyone have a suggestion for how to best create and install a DIY kill switch to prevent vehicle theft?

I've googled a bit, seen several suggestions, but am wondering if anyone here came up with a working method?

FWIW my '01 Ford F-250 Super Duty was stolen twice this year: that's two times too many.

Bonus points for link to a schematic or YouTube video explaining the method, thanks.

Fords used to have the starter solenoid right on the inner fender where you could have possibly put one. But that is years ago, I do not know if that is still the case. Your issue will well be that you have to just put it to the starter and not all the computer stuff that needs to always be powered.
The President is a fink.
December 28th, 2021 at 5:38:53 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: missedhervee

Get yourself a portable motion alarm and put it inside the cabin. Few will be ready for an alarm going off inside the truck. You mount it under the dash and aim the sensor towards the driver's door. It should go off shortly after the door is opened or someone gets in.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 28th, 2021 at 8:09:13 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: rxwine
Get yourself a portable motion alarm and put it inside the cabin. Few will be ready for an alarm going off inside the truck. You mount it under the dash and aim the sensor towards the driver's door. It should go off shortly after the door is opened or someone gets in.

Once all the vehicles have kill switches better pay your parking ticket, they will be able to disable your vehicle until you do.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
Page 2 of 4<1234>