Page 1 of 51234>Last »
Poll
1 vote (100%)
No votes (0%)

1 member has voted

January 7th, 2022 at 1:28:52 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
After the Opec crisis of the early 1970s the EPA set the Corporate Average Fuel Economy standards to go up for several years
1978->1985 18.0 mpg -> 27.5 mpg for cars
1979->1985 17.2 mpg -> 19.7 mpg for 2WD truck
1979->1985 15.8 mpg -> 18.9 mpg for 4WD truck

But as the crisis became a memory, by 2008 the CAFE requirement for cars was still 27.5 mpg for cars and 22.4 mpg for trucks (which now included more SUVs than traditional trucks)

As everyone knows the Obama administration radically changed CAFE requirements. Over a period of 8 years
2008 -> 2016
27.5 mpg -> 36.5 mpg CAFE for domestic cars, and 37.4 for imported cars

Here are 10 trends and stats showing change over 8 years from 2008 to 2016,
I) 52.7% -> 43.8% percentage of vehicles sold that were "sedans/wagons" (includes coupes and sports cars)
II) 11.5% -> 29.9% cars produced with continuous variable transmissions
@ 70.7% -> 3.6% vehicles with 5 speeds or less
III) 8.0% -> 4.1% cars prdocued with manual transmissions (after ~2010 manual transmissions became less fuel efficient than automatic)
IV) 0% -> 9.6% non-hybrid vehicles equipped with Stop/Start mechanism to prevent idling
V) 3.0% -> 19.9% vehicles equipped with turbocharged engines as manufacturers built small TC engines to save fuel instead of adding power to larger engines
VI) 58.2% -> 98.0% vehicles with Variable Valve timing
VII) 5.6 -> 5.0 average number of cylinders as many 8 cylinder engines replaced with 6 cylinder ones , and 6 cylinder engines replaced with 4 cylinder ones
VIII) 2.3% -> 48.0% vehicles produced with Gasoline Direct Injection
IX) 76.4% -> 92.3% vehicles produced with multi-valve engines (i.e., engines with more than two valves per cylinder)
X) 219 hp -> 230 hp on average (consumers know you can never be too rich, too skinny or have too much horsepower)

The Trump administration rolled back those changes calling them unsafe, unnecessary, and said they increased car maintenance and acquisition costs.

There are a number of other changes, like increasing number of speeds on automatic transmissions, and obviously a move towards hybrids and plug-in vehicles.

January 7th, 2022 at 2:51:31 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Even though I lean left
I'm very uncomfortable with the government requiring fuel economy
Let the car makers have the freedom to build what the market desires
There is still a consumer demand for fuel efficiency without the governments interference
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 7th, 2022 at 3:30:18 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: terapined
There is still a consumer demand for fuel efficiency without the governments interference

This Mercedes transmission 9G-Tronic has 9 speeds and 4 planetary gearsets. It must cost a fortune.

Google "Ford 10 speed transmission problems" and you'll get millions of hits and dozens of class action lawsuiits.

Google "Jatco cvt lawsuits" and you will get some hits on automatic transmissions, but mostly on CVT lawsuits.

Subaru had a 4 speed automatic transmission until 2011.
January 7th, 2022 at 4:51:13 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
The CAFE standards need to be rolled back.

The progressives' desire to end fossil fuel use is arguably well-intentioned but Obama went too fast, as the above post shows.

Car makers cannot simply snap their fingers to gain compliance.
January 7th, 2022 at 5:40:49 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: missedhervee
The CAFE standards need to be rolled back. The progressive's desire to end fossil fuel use is arguably well-intentioned but Obama went too fast, as the above post shows. Car makers cannot simply snap their fingers to gain compliance.

In 2018 President Trump proposed freezing the CAFE standards at 2020 levels for the years 2021-2026. He did not propose rolling them back. The notice to this action was over 500 pages of tightly packed commentary, so I will only reproduce a small sample below. President Biden immediately began the process of cancelling the Trump proposal.

On March 15, 2017, President Trump announced a restoration of the original mid-term review timeline. The President made clear in his remarks,
If the standards threatened auto jobs, then commonsense changes’’ would be made in order to protect the economic viability of the U.S. automotive industry.’

Quote: The Safer Affordable Fuel-Efficient (SAFE) Vehicles Rule for Model Years 2021–2026 Passenger Cars and Light Trucks | August 24, 2018

Technology that can improve both fuel economy and/or performance may not be dedicated solely to fuel economy.

As fleet-wide fuel efficiency has improved over time, additional improvements have become both more complicated and more costly.

There are two primary reasons for this phenomenon.

First, as discussed, there is a known pool of technologies for improving fuel economy and reducing CO 2 emissions. Many of these technologies, when actually
implemented on vehicles, can be used to improve other vehicle attributes such as ‘‘zero to 60’’ performance, towing, and hauling, etc., either instead of or in
addition to improving fuel economy and reducing CO 2 emissions.

As one example, a V6 engine can be turbocharged and downsized so that it consumes only as much fuel as an inline 4-cylinder engine, or it can be turbocharged and downsized so that it consumes less fuel than it would originally have consumed (but more than the inline 4-cylinder would) while also providing more low-end torque.

As another example, a vehicle can be lightweighted so that it consumes less fuel than it would originally have consumed, or so that it consumes the same amount of fuel it would originally have consumed but can carry more content, like additional safety or infotainment equipment. Manufacturers employing ‘‘fuel-saving/emissions-reducing’’ technologies in the real world make decisions regarding how to employ that technology such that fewer than 100% of the possible fuel-saving/emissions-reducing benefits result.

They do this because this is what consumers want, and more so than exclusively fuel economy improvements.

This makes actual fuel economy gains more expensive.

Thus, even though the technologies may be largely the same, previous assumptions about how much fuel can be saved or how much emissions can be
reduced by employing various technologies may not have played out as prior analyses suggested, meaning that previous assumptions about how much
it would cost to save that much fuel or reduce that much in emissions fall correspondingly short.

For example, the agencies assumed in the 2010 final rule that dual clutch transmissions would be widely used to improve fuel economy due to expectations of strong effectiveness and very low cost: In practice, dual clutch transmissions had significant customer acceptance issues, and few manufacturers employ them in
the U.S. market today. The agencies included some ‘‘technologies’’ in the 2012 final rule analysis that were defined ambiguously and/or in ways that precluded observation in the known (MYs 2008 and 2010) fleets, likely leading to double counting in cases where the known vehicles already reflected the assumed efficiency improvement. For example, the agencies assumed that transmission ‘‘shift optimizers’’ would be available and fairly widely used in MYs 2017–2025, but involving software controls, a ‘‘technology’’ not defined in a way that would be observed in the fleet (unlike, for example, a dual clutch
transmission).

To be clear, this is no one’s ‘‘fault’’—the CAFE and CO 2 standards do not require manufacturers to use particular technologies in particular ways, and both agencies’ past analyses generally sought to illustrate technology paths to compliance that were assumed to be as cost-effective as possible. If manufacturers choose different paths for reasons not accounted for in regulatory analysis, or choose to use technologies differently from what the agencies previously assumed, it does not necessarily mean that the analyses were unreasonable when performed. It does mean, however, that the fleet ought to be reflected as it stands today, with the technology it has and as that technology has been used, and consider what technology remains on the table at this point, whether and when it can
realistically be available for widespread use in production, and how much it would cost to implement.
January 9th, 2022 at 8:00:28 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Pacomartin
President Trump immediately began the process of cancelling the Trump proposal.
Biden, you mean?
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 9th, 2022 at 8:16:23 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: odiousgambit
Biden, you mean?

Of course!

According to the researchers, as the Earth warms, temperature changes between the poles and equator will decrease, leading to a weakening or split in the jet stream and creating an opening for hurricanes in the mid-latitudes to build and escalate during the summer months.
https://www.indianaenvironmentalreporter.org/posts/climate-change-will-bring-more-hurricanes-to-northeastern-cities-study-finds#:~:text=According%20to%20the%20researchers%2C%20as,escalate%20during%20the%20summer%20months.
January 9th, 2022 at 11:27:48 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Pacomartin
Of course!

According to the researchers, as the Earth warms, temperature changes between the poles and equator will decrease, leading to a weakening or split in the jet stream and creating an opening for hurricanes in the mid-latitudes to build and escalate during the summer months.
https://www.indianaenvironmentalreporter.org/posts/climate-change-will-bring-more-hurricanes-to-northeastern-cities-study-finds#:~:text=According%20to%20the%20researchers%2C%20as,escalate%20during%20the%20summer%20months.
Interesting. However, I don't think a tidal wave is coming that will knock over the Statue of Liberty as in that movie, which must have gotten people really, really thinking. Then they became Climate Change Skeptics en masse LOL.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 9th, 2022 at 12:01:54 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: odiousgambit
Interesting. However, I don't think a tidal wave is coming that will knock over the Statue of Liberty as in that movie, which must have gotten people really, really thinking. Then they became Climate Change Skeptics en masse LOL.

I doubt it because I have no idea what movie you are talking about.
What movie?
Only movie I can think of with the statue, Planet of the Apes. That was a great scene. Saw it as a kid in the theater when it came out.and it blew my mind
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 9th, 2022 at 12:31:59 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: terapined
I doubt it because I have no idea what movie you are talking about.
What movie?

"Deep Impact"

go to 2:40 ...
Page 1 of 51234>Last »