The Biden Presidency 2022

January 14th, 2022 at 11:53:06 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
"Basket of deplorables," also not helpful. Basically, same mistake Romney made...though Romney didn't really expect what he said to go national.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 14th, 2022 at 11:53:08 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
McConnell looks closer to being dead soon than Biden.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 14th, 2022 at 11:55:04 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: rxwine

Wouldn't mind a trifecta of those two and Trump. I don't think Biden means badly, but I'll call him collateral damage if we get rid of Trump also.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
January 14th, 2022 at 12:01:12 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
I think we could survive two years of Harris, preferably one. Besides, it would guarantee that Democrats lose in 2024 and Trump being gone opens the door for Ryan...and for Republicans to deescalate and return to typical levels of insanity. I think most of them are willing to accept, at least on the national level, that all of their social positions have lost and those battles aren't worth fighting anymore.
January 14th, 2022 at 12:11:17 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Mission146
I think we could survive two years of Harris, preferably one. Besides, it would guarantee that Democrats lose in 2024 and Trump being gone opens the door for Ryan...and for Republicans to deescalate and return to typical levels of insanity. I think most of them are willing to accept, at least on the national level, that all of their social positions have lost and those battles aren't worth fighting anymore.

Just thought of...I remember reading a study of looking at the claims made that people close to death had been able to stay alive long enough to see some event or some person before they kicked off, but the data didn't support it.

I would be curious to see what Harris would do for two years. But I'm curious about a lot of scenarios. She wouldn't have a lot of cooperation from lack of majority. Might as well hire a insult comedian for her speech writer. Might as well deliver some good retorts for all the crap that would be thrown at her deserved or not.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 14th, 2022 at 12:21:03 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29

“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
January 14th, 2022 at 1:44:33 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
This thread is about the Biden administration, and presumably what it can accomplish. How many times do Joe and Nancy and Chuck need to be smacked in the face by Manchin and Sinema before they realize that they can’t get ANY bill passed that either of those two don’t like? And then they can only get bills that can evade the filibuster via reconciliation! Let’s take those child tax credits as an example. Manchin wants a work requirement? Manchin wants high income people not to qualify? If that’s what you need to do to get it passed, then do it! Get SOMETHING from your agenda done. Separate the bills the Dems want into separate bills! (Try to) make the Republicans bad by voting against (what you think) are bills that the country wants! By putting them all in one big mess (the BBB bill) it is EASY for the Repubs ( and Manchin) to just vote no citing broad issues like inflation, too costly without forcing them to specifically stand against a specific issue.
When actually trying to include Republicans, it WORKED. See the passed infrastructure bill, that MOST Republicans were against.

The miscalculation the Dems had is thinking the slim win in Senate, House, and Presidency was somehow a ‘mandate’ to try and shove through an extremely progressive agenda. It wasn’t. And will come back to bite them next November.
January 14th, 2022 at 2:52:50 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: SOOPOO
This thread is about the Biden administration, and presumably what it can accomplish. How many times do Joe and Nancy and Chuck need to be smacked in the face by Manchin and Sinema before they realize that they can’t get ANY bill passed that either of those two don’t like? And then they can only get bills that can evade the filibuster via reconciliation! Let’s take those child tax credits as an example. Manchin wants a work requirement? Manchin wants high income people not to qualify? If that’s what you need to do to get it passed, then do it! Get SOMETHING from your agenda done. Separate the bills the Dems want into separate bills! (Try to) make the Republicans bad by voting against (what you think) are bills that the country wants! By putting them all in one big mess (the BBB bill) it is EASY for the Repubs ( and Manchin) to just vote no citing broad issues like inflation, too costly without forcing them to specifically stand against a specific issue.
When actually trying to include Republicans, it WORKED. See the passed infrastructure bill, that MOST Republicans were against.

The miscalculation the Dems had is thinking the slim win in Senate, House, and Presidency was somehow a ‘mandate’ to try and shove through an extremely progressive agenda. It wasn’t. And will come back to bite them next November.

I kind of thought about the advice to not go too big and fail. But you can't always go by politicians insisting they will never do something being true. How often is that really true? They say one thing and do another all the time. Aside from that, Biden knew the ACA was a hard push that almost failed. So, I don't fault him that much for trying.

AND he can now still go with the plan to get what he can get agreement with to pass.
January 14th, 2022 at 2:59:17 PM permalink
rxwine
Biden should also look for things they can dangle in front of the Republicans to get them to sign on. Something the Republicans already claimed they wanted while in power, and at least he can get them voting against it if they don't pass it.

I think the border wall is ridiculous, but he could probably dangle finishing it and either watch the Republicans vote against it to keep some other legislation from passing.
January 14th, 2022 at 4:00:29 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Biden should also look for things they can dangle in front of the Republicans to get them to sign on. Something the Republicans already claimed they wanted while in power, and at least he can get them voting against it if they don't pass it.

I think the border wall is ridiculous, but he could probably dangle finishing it and either watch the Republicans vote against it to keep some other legislation from passing.

Don't give Trump more ammo, or motivation; he might live that long. Probably will.

Pick something else. Mandatory drug testing for anyone receiving Government benefits?