No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (20%)
3 votes (60%)

5 members have voted

June 25th, 2013 at 1:39:48 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
The question is how often you use a tablet, regardless of whether you have one or borrow one.

See, on occasion I run across tech stories which mention that people want touch screens, and overall computers (considering tablets and phones as computers) controlled by touch "gestures" (what's wrong with the word "commands"?)

Just today in an opinion piece justifying Win8, the author stated there was a "demand" by suers for gesture controls. I find this incomprehensible.

For the record, I've used an iPad briefly and only a few times and that was 2 years ago. It was ok, but I saw little point in it. I recall calling it an "iFad," which pretty much sums up my opinion. Typing was an ordeal, controls were counterintuitive for the most part, the screen was awfully streaked and spotted, etc. it took carrying a laptop around for me to see the advantage of a tablet, when you don't have that much to do on it. That is,w hen you use it to browse the web, type short messages or posts, check a map, see photos, read books, listen to music, watch videos, etc. Conceivably there could be productive uses, too, for people who need to access a lot of information while moving about (not necessarily traveling), but don't need to input much info in return.

Still, the matter of controling the tablet with "gestures" is entirely due to the limitations inherent on the design. If you needed a mouse and/or jeyboard, you'd defeat the purpose of the tablet. even a stylus, like the Palm models had, is limiting and requires extras. So, yes, Apple,a nd its immitators, were very clever in using finger motions as commands for their new gadget.

But who the hell wants that on a desktop or laptop PC? more important, why would someone want that? For one thing, the ergonomics of touchscreens ont he desktop are horrible. I mean, if I had to control my PC entirely with "gestures" on a touch screen, I'd end up with nerve damage on both arms. try it if you don't believe me. For antoher, these "gestures" are not nearly as efficient as the point and click ability of a mouse, or even keyboard shortcuts (Google Windows 8 keyboard shortcuts, there are an awful lot of them). Nad to finish, translating the "gestures" for a mouse makes the PC more labor intensive than it needs to be.

On other things, Win8.1 (the spawn of Win8) will be unveiled tomorrow. Then I can change my motto to "Windows 8.1 must be destroyed." It's completely different. It's what "windows 8 must be destroyed" should have been from the start :P
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 25th, 2013 at 1:54:22 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
For the record, I've used an iPad briefly and only a few times and that was 2 years ago. It was ok, but I saw little point in it. I recall calling it an "iFad," which pretty much sums up my opinion.

These new computers that resemble desktop machines in one configuration, but with wireless keypads and mice are a nice solution. For 90% of the time when you need a computer they look like one, but you can grab the monitor/tablet and take it with you. The drawback is that they are expensive.
June 25th, 2013 at 4:44:13 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
These new computers that resemble desktop machines in one configuration, but with wireless keypads and mice are a nice solution.

I have to ask, and seriously I can't think of another way of putting it: a solution for what?

My apologies if I seem too sardonic.
June 25th, 2013 at 6:13:25 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
My sister has one of the new Ipads. I bought her one of these awhile back

http://www.zagg.com/accessories/zaggkeys-ipad-profolio-plus-keyboard-case.php?gclid=CKX-_4zFgLgCFSVk7AodRCkA8w#7063

It doesn't add anything much to the size, but she likes it for the typing aspect when she needs to write something longer than a few words.

It adds the keyboard, and is like a hard surround case when closed.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 25th, 2013 at 6:14:52 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
My apologies if I seem too sardonic.

No, that is a reasonable question.

(alternative 1) I was thinking of my brother who basically likes to work on a computer. But his wife likes to watch movies, and they play games together sometimes. He can set up the computer at his desktop, and she can take it down to watch movies on the couch.

He doesn't travel much for work, but he can pack a tablet.

(alternative 2) Purchase a laptop which means for the 80% of the time he uses it at home, he has to look at a small screen.

(alternative 3) But consider the $1000 price, he might be better off buying a $700 all-in-one computer for the house. They usually weigh about 14 pounds and you can carry them around the house to watch Netflix anywhere you want. Then you can spend another $250 and get a chromebook for the rare business trip.
June 26th, 2013 at 6:55:44 AM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
Got thrown off with the typo for users reading as "suers", but after that, I agree. I don't like using the smart phones with the gestures, but it's all there is anymore.
June 26th, 2013 at 7:07:04 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
No, that is a reasonable question.

Well, the other day I moved my desktop PC from the right of the monitor to the left, in order to make room for a laptop. THat was the first time I moved a PC on my desk in over ten years. It should tell you something.
June 26th, 2013 at 7:12:20 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: 1nickelmiracle
Got thrown off with the typo for users reading as "suers", but after that, I agree. I don't like using the smart phones with the gestures, but it's all there is anymore.

Sorry about the typo.

I've an outmoded blackberry "smart" phone (considering how it works, it's not very smart at all <w>) which uses a tiny clickable touch pad as a control. I can fully see how a touch screen could be better for some uses, such as web browsing. But overall I use it only a little other than for making phone calls and sending text messages.

What I can't understand is that people actually want touch and gesture controls on their desktop and laptop PCs. I know a lot of people fell in love with the scenes in Minority Report where Tom Cruise waves his hands in the air to control the computer (most people remember only that about the movie), but even that is a far cry from a touch screen. And while it looked cool, and visually it was a nice change from the usual pointless typing we see in movies, it seems incredibly impractical for everyday use.
June 26th, 2013 at 8:25:00 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
give me a mouse anytime.

Anytime it would be practical, that is.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 26th, 2013 at 10:55:21 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
Sorry about the typo.

I've an outmoded blackberry "smart" phone (considering how it works, it's not very smart at all <w>) which uses a tiny clickable touch pad as a control. I can fully see how a touch screen could be better for some uses, such as web browsing. But overall I use it only a little other than for making phone calls and sending text messages.

What I can't understand is that people actually want touch and gesture controls on their desktop and laptop PCs. I know a lot of people fell in love with the scenes in Minority Report where Tom Cruise waves his hands in the air to control the computer (most people remember only that about the movie), but even that is a far cry from a touch screen. And while it looked cool, and visually it was a nice change from the usual pointless typing we see in movies, it seems incredibly impractical for everyday use.

Check out Pierce Brosnan's typing scene in Bag of Bones. It's completely laughable to have a man who supposedly has already typed something like 20 books as an author, yet types by just randomly banging fingers on the key board, but never uses his pinkies once. It's totally ridiculous from someone who is supposed to be a great actor. It was a TV movie I just found out, but it is still quite funny.

I think the smart phones are just pushed with the belief it will be easier to get someone to buy something if they don't really have to touch a button.
Page 1 of 212>