The Amy Schneider thread

Page 3 of 13<123456>Last »
January 10th, 2022 at 3:13:33 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Yes, but dammit, those women have an advantage when they wear risque tops that show their ample decolletage.

Very distracting.
January 10th, 2022 at 3:16:33 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I dare say, it doesn't matter even if women have been doing math as long as men, you have to show as MANY have tried higher maths as men, and been encouraged to do so in their environments.

Wonder how the Wiz feels about that?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 10th, 2022 at 3:18:53 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Mozart would have had a much more difficult climb to recognition if he had been sent to do the dishes, house cleaning and laundry despite his built-in talent at a young age.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 10th, 2022 at 3:22:35 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
In the first 15 years of my career i never met a single good woman computer programmer, in the next 15 years I met quite a few. I am guessing more women are now comfortable in that field now as i dont believe it reflects the intelligence of the genders.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
January 10th, 2022 at 3:31:54 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: rxwine
I dare say, it doesn't matter even if women have been doing math as long as men, you have to show as MANY have tried higher maths as men, and been encouraged to do so in their environments.

Wonder how the Wiz feels about that?

I could speak at length about this. As a math major, I can confidently say my advanced classes were about 80% male. I'm also a former actuary and that profession is about 75% men.

I've done a fair bit of math tutoring in my younger days. Women would usually give as an excuse that they had math-phobia or something to that effect. What few male clients I had usually admitted they were just damn lazy. I often asked such women how their own mothers felt about that. They would usually say she hated math too. Then I would ask about any brothers and how they did in math. They would usually say her brothers were much better at it.

My point being that I have a theory that there is a societal expectation for men to be pushed hard in math and women are not. I hate to point fingers, but I think women themselves buy into this more than men. Maybe I'm wrong about that. I would be very interested to know from the non-American members about the disparity in math between men and women in their countries.

However, I'm not going to go as far as to say that if we stripped expectations out of it, that we would see women advance as far and in the same numbers as men at math. Likewise, I think women are better skilled than men in other areas.

In conclusion, I think the gender gap in math is partially nature and partially nurture.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 10th, 2022 at 3:47:42 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
I do not see the issue one way or the other (or even see how gender is relevant).

Its a game show with no physical activity (well I have heard there is some training the best have to do with the buzzer, but I am not sure that counts). Its a game show, its not the MMA, I don't see how her being trans gives her an unfair advantage in even in the most obscure way of looking at it.

Any contestant that does well is impressive as it appears to be a high-stress show. I just don't see the point on obsessing if somebody is a "real woman" or not on something where gender has zero impact.

If she wants to be called a her, that is fine, and if she does well, great for her!

EDIT: Also, I am not sure if I am missing something, but the link in the OP seems to go to some investment thread on WOV, unless there is context missing, I think you may have pasted the wrong link.
January 10th, 2022 at 4:00:24 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: DRich
Wrong, just ignore gender completely and everyone competes in the same arena. The best wins no matter the gender.

Too Brave New Worldish. And it would mean the end of women in sports, not a good thing for them.
The President is a fink.
January 10th, 2022 at 4:08:26 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard
I could speak at length about this. As a math major, I can confidently say my advanced classes were about 80% male. I'm also a former actuary and that profession is about 75% men.

I've done a fair bit of math tutoring in my younger days. Women would usually give as an excuse that they had math-phobia or something to that effect. What few male clients I had usually admitted they were just damn lazy. I often asked such women how their own mothers felt about that. They would usually say she hated math too. Then I would ask about any brothers and how they did in math. They would usually say her brothers were much better at it.

My point being that I have a theory that there is a societal expectation for men to be pushed hard in math and women are not. I hate to point fingers, but I think women themselves buy into this more than men. Maybe I'm wrong about that. I would be very interested to know from the non-American members about the disparity in math between men and women in their countries.

However, I'm not going to go as far as to say that if we stripped expectations out of it, that we would see women advance as far and in the same numbers as men at math. Likewise, I think women are better skilled than men in other areas.

In conclusion, I think the gender gap in math is partially nature and partially nurture.

The "nature" part is at least somewhat logical thinking. Men think more logically than women. Math is logic. Women are more people driven than men. Math is impersonal.
The President is a fink.
January 10th, 2022 at 4:26:22 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Gandler
EDIT: Also, I am not sure if I am missing something, but the link in the OP seems to go to some investment thread on WOV, unless there is context missing, I think you may have pasted the wrong link.

Oops. My bad. Here is the corrected link.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 10th, 2022 at 5:05:45 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: Wizard
There is a lot of hullabaloo about Amy Schneider breakings lots of Jeopardy records for female players. Here is one example of an article on the topic: Amy Schneider is the first woman to win $1 million on ‘Jeopardy!’. For those who don't know, Amy is transgendered.

Mrs. Wizard has very strong feelings about this to the point she refuses to watch Jeopardy, which she normally does, until Amy loses. She says it's very insulting to women that a man needs to come along to help them break records. She adds she would be proud to see a woman shattering Jeopardy records, but doesn't want to be patronized in a man doing it. Please keep in mind these are her words, not mine. However, as liberal as I think I am on matters of gender, I think she has a legitimate point.

I know there are not many women on the forum, but I would be interested in hearing other opinions on the matter, especially from other women.

What do you mean? Miss Nevada is/was a transgendered female. They had one of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit cover models be transgendered. Transgendered people have been increasingly making the move into women's athletics...my favorite joke that I've heard is that men are so great that we're even better at being women than women are!

That's a joke, of course, and does not reflect my personal view or opinion. I think the first few examples are just playing to the Far Left and I don't think male-female transgendered athletes should have any place in women's amateur sport.

It's one thing for me to allow that a person's biology is generally unimportant when it comes to most things, but I'm not going to plug my ears, close my eyes and pretend it doesn't matter when it comes to sports.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
Page 3 of 13<123456>Last »